Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Amal Farah, a Somali immmigrant living in the UK, is disowned by her family after declaring she is an atheist

Khayr   

Saff,

You are only a reflection of what you are spoon fed and there are others that share your views and values. I was using your

quote to show what the prevalent modern muslim mindset is.

They can do whatever they want, that’s not the discussion. Johnny’s point was on religious coercion in the Somali household, and I was agreeing with that to the extent that it means one is not free to practice a different faith or become atheist/agnostic in a Somali family without those consequences."

Loose use of loaded terminology. What is coercion? Is it good or bad? What makes it so? In the present case, how was our lady heroine coerced? What should her family have done differently?

Hawdian   

Heroic amba looser . Qof hoyadi is fahmi Karin baa kulee wax ha leyga digeysto. Nagtani waxey dhici karti iney xanun Qalbiga heysato . Waa 32 sano lkn masxada waa qof teenager iska aqli gaab . Diinta Islamka hady ka baxdey ha astoo waayo iff iyo Ahiro waa waxba kuma lee.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Loose use of loaded terminology. What is coercion? Is it good or bad? What makes it so? In the present case, how was our lady heroine coerced? What should her family have done differently?

Maybe you didn't read the thread, but it was Johnny B who used the term coercion, and I disagreed with him on that.

Jacpher   

<cite>

They can do whatever they want, that's not the discussion. Johnny's point was on religious coercion in the Somali household,
and I was agreeing with that to the extent that it means one is not free to practice a different faith or become atheist/agnostic in a Somali family without those consequences.

Religious coercion in Somali household? Really? Are you that naive about Somali culture or you are just playing one today. Replace religion with marriage, make that arranged marriage or marrying to a certain clan that's looked down on, ever heard of duco ama habaar? That's a coercion my fiend. Not a 32 year old grown woman turning to Atheism and marries a Jew. Her family refusing to accept her attempts to shame them is hardly a coercion.

cadnaan1   

she knew that s what would happen to her after leaving deenta islamka the family did not have any other option but to disown her.diinta ayaaba sidaas faraysa hadii kale waxay noqonaysaa inay raali uga yihiin.

Johnny B   

Cadnaan1, Her mother had all possible options available to her, given that Islam or her belief in being Muslim does not force her to disown her daughter, as you claim

Khayr, so you're proudly taking the role of the dungeon keeper of "traditional Islam" ?

<cite>

Stop pretending and address the issue if you want to contribute, It is not like her Mother is encouraging freedom of thought by disowning her .

Is it true? Does Islam demand disowning your children, if they question it's conformity to Reality?

Rahima   

Her family has every right to disown her.

Anyhow, this article or this womans decision to speak publicly has nothing to do with choice. Articles such as these are designed to heighten the Islamaphobia that already exists. People like this woman often have an ulterior agenda, we shall see in years to come if hers are aligned with those of the other Somali atheist who was a proud native informant- Ayan Hirsi. Live and let live assumes that her actions do not cause any harm- I think we can all agree that she is causing harm.

How is her choosing not to believe in Islam causing harm exactly?

Elaborate please, because you are not making any sense. The fact that her family chose to cut ties with their own daughter, just because she chose not to believe in the religion of her parents speaks volumes of the intolerant nature of Islam. Its disgusting.

"Do not cut the ties of kinship" & "No compulsion in religion" - Edicts of Islam.

Reading the article, the one thing I noticed is the prominence given to the noun Somali from the title to the main body of the article - which is more than the times Islam is mentioned. This is not surprising, knowing that 'Somali' is defined in the english dictionary as 'a member of a mainly Muslim people of Somalia'.

Now, knowing my people laba waxba oo aan la isla qaadi karin bay gabdhaanu isugu gaysay reerkii; gaalnimo iyo yahuudnimo - No wonder the reerka buckled! :P

<cite>

Her family has every right to disown her.

Anyhow, this article or this womans decision to speak publicly has nothing to do with choice. Articles such as these are designed to heighten the Islamaphobia that already exists. People like this woman often have an ulterior agenda, we shall see in years to come if hers are aligned with those of the other Somali atheist who was a proud native informant- Ayan Hirsi. Live and let live assumes that her actions do not cause any harm- I think we can all agree that she is causing harm.

Broadly agree with you on the 'right' of the family to disown her and the 'ulterior' motives of the article as well as the woman - but know this; the family of Ayan Hersi (who without doubt has done more harm) have never cut communication with her even though they fervently disagreed with her.

They are simply gold diggers. Who has ever seen an atheist Somali woman without relation with a foreign white man?. Me never seen. Many white people do the same when an African or a Muslim marries their daughter but no one cries and says: look they disowned my wife!.

Somalidu cay bay u taqaan Yahuudiga, marka no wonder that hooyo freaked out hearing who married her daughter in addition to her acquired atheism.