Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Amal Farah, a Somali immmigrant living in the UK, is disowned by her family after declaring she is an atheist

Khayr   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Live and let live.

I wonder if you would have made the same statement if someone spoke about some of your values like:

- Gender Equality

- Homosexuality

- Inter-faith marriages

- Liberal Democracy

Johnny B   

In case you've not noticed, this credulous mob mentality is turning you (Khayr and co ) into the thunderbolts of SOL.

Not only are you against discussing/debating Issues as they are, but you keep resorting and revelling in personal attacks.

So much so ,not being against :

- Gender Equality

- Homosexuality

- Inter-faith marriages

- Liberal Democracy

warrants the personal attack of sister Safferz, just because she thinks , "live & let live".

Sad indeed.

I'm pretty sure Safferz also has the "live and let live" attitude towards those she disagrees with when it comes to political and social issues (such as homosexuality, liberal democracy, etc.)

I recall almost a year ago, when me and Safferz disagreed about economics. In that debate, I had a more free-market Neo-Liberal approach to Economics while Safferz had a completely different approach.....and she still had the "live and let live" attitude towards me.

Respectfully disagreeing with someone is a great trait to have, and Safferz herself has exhibited this many times on this forum. She's someone with her own viewpoints, and it's hard to find someone who agrees with Safferz on absolutely every issue. (It's hard to find someone in this world who agrees with you on absolutely every single issue). But she's been able to handle this well, and I totally respect that

Hawdian   

`. Hadad diinta Islamka ka baxdey adiga kutahy nacda allah ha kugu dacdho . Waxa yaab ah a naag 40 uu Dow oo lee hoyada baa ii nacdey aqli xumada . Bila faeeda .

Our dear brother Khayr probably lives in a gaalo society that dares to have:

- Gender Equality

- Homosexuality

- Inter-faith marriages

- Liberal Democracy

It must be hell brother Khayr :(

Safferz   

<cite>

I'm pretty sure Safferz also has the "live and let live" attitude towards those she disagrees with when it comes to political and social issues (such as homosexuality, liberal democracy, etc.)

I recall almost a year ago, when me and Safferz disagreed about economics. In that debate, I had a more free-market Neo-Liberal approach to Economics while Safferz had a completely different approach.....and she still had the "live and let live" attitude towards me.

Respectfully disagreeing with someone is a great trait to have, and Safferz herself has exhibited this many times on this forum. She's someone with her own viewpoints, and it's hard to find someone who agrees with Safferz on absolutely every issue. (It's hard to find someone in this world who agrees with you on absolutely every single issue). But she's been able to handle this well, and I totally respect that

Thanks DoctorKenney. I'm not sure that Khayr understands what "live and let live" means, and it's an idea that several of you have expressed in this thread -- if someone wants to leave the deen, that's their decision. La ikraha fiddin, right? My point here was to say that even though we can all make choices in theory, in practice that doesn't mean they play out in a vacuum and that choice isn't shaped or restrained by certain factors... and the fact is that it is incredibly difficult to become an atheist or non-Muslim in a Somali household.

Khayr   

the fact is that it is incredibly difficult to become an atheist or non-Muslim in a Somali household.

Alhamdulillah for

what is still our saving grace.

Live and let live.

So let us ask. Why does this lady's family have to put up with her atheism? Do they not have the right to disown her? Should they not be left to live?

Safferz   

<cite>

Live and let live.

So let us ask. Why does this lady's family have to put up with her atheism? Do they not have the right to disown her? Should they not be left to live?

They can do whatever they want, that's not the discussion. Johnny's point was on religious coercion in the Somali household, and I was agreeing with that to the extent that it means one is not free to practice a different faith or become atheist/agnostic in a Somali family without those consequences.

Khayr   

<cite>
said:</cite> I was agreeing with that to the extent that it means one is not free to practice a different faith or become atheist/agnostic in a Somali family without those consequences.

You were agreeing because it precisely reflected your bias towards Islam.

You don't identify with traditional Islam anymore and so therefor; you would like us

to develop this nonchalant attitude about

people that apostate from Islam. Hence, the attitude of "live and let live".

You wouldn't say that if it was your sibling or relative that decided to leave your family and told you that they were no longer your brother or sister.

You see, you are echoing sentiments that are alien to traditional Islam.

Khayr, but I feel as if cutting your family member off wouldn't solve the problem in the first place! Because Amal Farah, when she was disowned by her entire family, all this has done was reinforce her wrong beliefs. She's been a Non-Muslim for what, 8 years now? 8 years! 8 years of not contacting any of your siblings, and being fully assimilated into British society with no traces of Islam or Somaalinimo inside her at all.

I hate kufr. I think Atheism is the most arrogantly irrational position for any human to take. But if I was Amal Farah's cousin, I would've done something else. I would've shown her some Yasir Qadhi videos, or Nouman Ali Khan videos, and I would have attempted to show her the beauty of the Deen. I would show her that what she's doing is terribly wrong, and she's making a mistake by apostatizing.

I know people who have left Islam because some clown gave them the wrong ideas about the religion. And then years later, they do independent research and then return to Islam. Kufr/Atheism is extremely dangerous. If you die upon Kufr/Atheism then you will never succeed in the Hereafter. But cutting off a family member will only reinforce their Kufr and would ensure that your family member stays upon his Kufr until he/she dies.

And no one would want to see that happen

Safferz   

<cite>

You were agreeing because it precisely reflected your bias towards Islam.

You don't identify with traditional Islam anymore and so therefor; you would like us

to develop this nonchalant attitude about

people that apostate from Islam. Hence, the attitude of "live and let live".

You wouldn't say that if it was your sibling or relative that decided to leave your family and told you that they were no longer your brother or sister.

You see, you are echoing sentiments that are alien to traditional Islam.

lol, what do you know about my religious beliefs, Khayr? And who made you the gatekeeper of "traditional Islam"?

Khayr   

DK,

If a doctor spots Cancer in a patient, what do they recommend that should done? If the Cancer is

not contained and then it will spread throughout the

body and the patient dies.

Look, Allah guides whom He wants. One of the most famous cases being Abu Talib, the Protector and Uncle of the prophet صل الله عليهِ وسلم

إِنَّكَ لَا تَهْدِي مَنْ أَحْبَبْتَ وَلَٰكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَهْدِي مَن يَشَاءُ وَهُوَ أَعْلَمُ بِالْمُهْتَدِينَ

Surely you cannot guide whom you love, but Allah guides whom He pleases, and He knows best the followers of the right way.

Sura Al-Qisas, v.56

No amount of lectures or videos can change a person's heart unless they are a sincere seeker and Allah guides them.

What people nowadays display is Kibr (arrogance) and feel a sense of intellectual superiority to traditional Islam.

This is the same arrogance that Iblis said about Adam and it is the same arrogance that made the early Quraysh reject the Message of Islam.

Saff,

I can only judge you by what you write and you writings are not reflective of a traditional muslim mindset.

Safferz   

<cite>
said:</cite>Saff,

I can only judge you by what you write and you writings are not reflective of a traditional muslim mindset.

To you, Khayr, and under your criteria. So again, who made you the gatekeeper of "traditional Islam"? And who are you to say I have a bias against Islam, because we don't agree?