Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Amal Farah, a Somali immmigrant living in the UK, is disowned by her family after declaring she is an atheist

Johnny

Apti

I advise you, stop trying desperately to create some sort of debate on this thread.

Your desperate attempts at trying to create some discussion about this, despite the fact that none of the SOL'ers want to engage in a debate, makes you look like a miskeen kid. :D

Okay, so this woman decided to leave Islam, fine. If you haven't noticed, none of the SOL'ers here really care. Just move on with your life, and if you're still fascinated by this story, then mail this woman a gift.

N.O.R.F   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Antisemitism ? Just what we lack in here.

Erm, yeah. Thats what it is..

I think these stories highlight importance of good Islamic education. Something we lack in Somali communities.

Jacpher   

^Not that we don't need good education but it is quite often those who were born or grew up outside that turn into gaalnimo. Case in point, she grew up in Yemen/UK.

Johnny B   

<cite>

Erm, yeah. Thats what it is..

Whatever soothes your pain, just sad that you've to hate others to feel good.

<cite>

I think these stories highlight importance of good Islamic education. Something we lack in Somali communities.

"good Islamic education" , come again ?!

Same argument could be made for the opposite position, namely "good Islamic education" could be behind why she left the Islamic faith.

Tell me , Does Islam demand of one to disown his/her offspring if they question or doubt it's genuineness ?

Guzel   

She is not the first or the last, but why do people like her choose to embarrass their parents by announcing it to the world, it is hurtful and inconsiderate.

N.O.R.F   

<cite>

Whatever soothes your pain, just sad that you've to hate others to feel good.

"good Islamic education" , come again ?!

Same argument could be made for the opposite position, namely "good Islamic education" could be behind why she left the Islamic faith.

Tell me , Does Islam demand of one to disown his/her offspring if they question or doubt it's genuineness ?

Tut tut. Don't worry I didn't expect you to get it.

The right Islamic education reduces the chances of this sort of thing happening.

Jacpher, doesn't really matter where as long as long as they have the skills to shoot through the nonsense that will come their way.

Safferz   

<cite>

^kkkk nuune. ka daa.

Kan religious coercion sheegay baan la yaabanahay. War ma oga miyaa in niyadu laga Muslimo oo na laga gaaloowo. . .yaa ku haysta?

I wouldn't call it coercion, but I do think Johnny B has a point. There aren't many Somali households where one is free to be a non-practicing Muslim, convert to a different religion, or become an atheist/agnostic; doing so openly would mean losing everything and everyone you hold dear. I can imagine it's incredibly difficult to not share your family's beliefs and feel pressured to conform because doing so would be social suicide in the Somali community. Where he's mistaken is that it's not uniquely Islamic, but true for most religious households of any faith, and even some families with other strongly held worldviews (ie. marrying outside of the race/culture in some families, coming out as gay in a conservative household, etc).