Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

In defence of Lucas!

NGONGE   

^^ I think that question needs a thread of its own. :D

(I don't really think Lucas is world class but I reckon he is really really good).

NGONGE   

Originally posted by AYOUB:

That's the crap David Batty fans used to come up with. It's not about passing sideways and backwards so to look good on paper yaa sahbi. Better passer than Fabregas my toe.

Get a load of this! :D

(Admittedly, I have not watched the clip but I'm told it's the kind that would make Tuujiye wince). :D

AYOUB   

^ "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by FA Premier League."

Originally posted by NGONGE:

(I don't really think Lucas is world class but I reckon he is really really good).

Not world yet class anyway.

Watched the game on Sunday he was ok ( excluding the hospital back pass). Other midfielders were much more effective.

PS I can understand his negative style of play when the team is leading and not when it's 0-0 like previous games. He needs to know when it's time to "up the gear".

NGONGE   

^^ Almost but not exactly that. His is the Obi Mikel role (they don't tackle as much as Makelele used to do). They have one thing in common though, the accusation that all their game is about sideway passes. There is an article I posted a while back about the holding midfilder's role, you should read it (and watch the videos). Lucas is as good as any in that role.

NGONGE   

And this is for Norf! :D

“His technique is average, he lacks the speed and skill to take the ball past opponents and 90% of his distribution either goes backwards or sideways . . . younger players will arrive who will cause Makelele to be forgotten”

former Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, on selling Claude Makelele to Chelsea in 2003

“Why put another layer of gold paint on the Bentley when you are losing the entire engine?”

Zinedine Zidane, on Perez’s decision to sell Makelele and buy David Beckham

“To me attacking football happens when Makelele gets the ball and passes it to the central defender, who passes it to the right back who comes forward and judges the situation. If he can do something, he passes forward or runs with the ball; if not, he gives it back to Makelele who builds the attack again,”

Mourinho.

AYOUB   

^ There's no Obi Role. He is just a poor version of Makele. Haddii kale every player is unique and have "their Roles". :D

NGONGE   

^^ There is, there is. :D

Barca's Busquets, Madrid's Khedira, United's Carrick and Liverpool's LUCAS all play in a similar style.

The Makelele brigade can be found with Barca's Macherano, Juve's Sissoko or Spain's Senna.

All these are different to the deep lying midfielder (ala Alonso & Pirlo). But all are defensive midfielders.

There are many more and they all fall into these catogeries (unless they're attacking midfielders of course).