Sign in to follow this  
Admin

As a Somali Australian, the saga of my controversial hat created a cultural divide inside me

Admin   

As a Somali Australian, the saga of my controversial hat created a cultural divide inside me

Sometimes a simple item of clothing can tell a complex story about cultural differences and the challenges of integration for migrants. So it is with one of my favourite accessories, my hat. My wife Khadijo was the first to spot it. We were at Northland shopping centre, passing time, when she spotted a dark grey hat with silver stripes. "Try it on," she said. Interestingly, almost all the negative comments about my hat came from Somali men.I approached the mirror with some trepidation. In my native Somalia a hat, a Koofi, can denote religious and political power. A locally made Baraawe Koofi is favoured by spiritual elders, tribal leaders, Islamic scholars and certain politicians and businessmen.In more recent times the growing influence of Wahabi school of thought in Somalia has seen the arrival in Somalia of hats with more explicit religious connotations. Some men use these hats on a daily basis, while others only wear them during Friday prayers. Otherwise it is not uncommon to see younger men or non-religious men in baseball-style caps.But my hat, the hat I wore as I approached the shop mirror, is rare in my homeland. The wearer of such a hat would be described as "Westernised". Looking at my reflection, I felt a tingle of excitement. I looked like a handsome stranger, like an adventurer!From the moment we left the shop, passers-by seemed to beam at me with approval. I interpreted every friendly glance as a big tick for my hat. The compliments continued in the days that followed. I attended a function organised by my federal MP. "I like this," said an old lady, pointing at my hat, "you are elegant." "Nice hat," said a man at the Aldi in Heidelberg West, "makes you look young and sharp."In Fitzroy, a middle-aged man who was walking towards me on the street smiled and said: "You look really nice." At this point I offered my hat to the man because in my culture if someone extols your dress, you're expected to offer something in return. Thankfully, he declined. "Keep it for me," he said.After all these compliments, I was tempted to assume that the Somali community would likewise embrace my new look. So one day I took myself and my hat to the Heidelberg Mall, also known as Little Somalia. "You look like a cowboy," said the first Somali I ran into. "You look like General Aidid", said another, referring to the notorious Somali warlord who was often photographed in a striped hat.Yet another remarked: "You look like an Australian farmer, like Bob Katter." Unfortunately this was also an insult. In Somali culture there is a stigma associated with farmers, who are branded as nomads. I began to feel gloomy. It reminded of the time a man at my local petrol station had said: "You're from Somalia, yeah? Why don't you go back and go into the piracy business? You could become a millionaire in one month!"A few days later a female relative stared disapprovingly at my hat. She said only young troublemakers wear hats of this kind."You are a good man," she sighed. "But this hat lowers your dignity." Even educated Somalis joined the chorus of disapproval; a fact that really shocked me. A man with a PhD from a university in the West told me that I was expected to wear only Somali hats. He said that in wearing the hat I was "misrepresenting my culture".Though saddened by such comments, I understood the motivation behind them. I am a respected member of the Somali community; people refer to me as "our Doctor, our Professor". They expect me to be a gatekeeper of Somali culture.It was different with younger Somalis. One young woman looked me over from head to toe and declared: "Abti [uncle] you look like so stylish and neat with this hat. Can I have a photo with you?" After evening prayers at the Heidelberg mosque one Friday, a young man even confessed to buying a similar hat for himself. "Yusuf, I copied you," he said. "You're our role model." I was glad the older men didn't hear us.Interestingly – aside from the one rebuke from a female relative – almost all the negative comments about my hat came from Somali men. Perhaps this is because in Somalia women rarely critique men, at least publicly, and vice versa.Another interpretation is that Somali women in Australia, and in the West in general, are more integrated than the men. Women have gained a lot educationally, economically and socially – they feel empowered by the new environment. The men, on the other hand, feel the loss of their power over women, the loss of the status they had enjoyed in Africa. Perhaps to these men my hat symbolises an embrace of new social norms that diminish their power.The saga of my controversial hat created a cultural divide inside me as well. I have to think twice each time I get the urge to wear it. I have to check my schedule for the day to see whether I'll be mingling with Somalis or non-Somalis, and to judge whether my hat will be welcome or not. Sometimes I worry that I have succumbed to criticism. But then I think about the tolerance and open-mindedness of the younger generation and I feel a renewed strength and confidence. These future leaders understand that it's my hat, my choice.Dr Yusuf Sheikh Omar is a researcher at the Victorian Transcultural Mental Health Unit of StVincent's Hospital and co-convener of the Somali Youth Dialogue.Source: http://www.smh.com.au/

http://www.somaliaonline.com/as-a-somali-australian-the-saga-of-my-controversial-hat-created-a-cultural-divide-inside-me/

Khayr   

These future leaders understand that it’s my hat, my choice.

A traditional Somali would never utter such words. A Somali represents their clan no matter were they are and you can not bring shame to your clan by ranting like that.

The <b> my choice motto</b> is a nafsani/self-centered motto.

All in all the article is pure garbage.

N.O.R.F   

He makes a valid point in terms of one's decisions not necessarily being in line with daqankeena. Those who have grown up away from 'home' and have set up their own 'home' need not be restrained by the traditions of the former.

Khayr   

Those who have grown up away from ‘home’ and have set up their own ‘home’ need not be restrained by the traditions of the former.

Norf,

I disagree with you. Ruunti,daaqanki haadha laaga taago maaxa noo haarey?

We will be like the natives - lost our lands and traditions and replaced with Modernity.

Modernity being only concerned with destroying traditions and the evolution of the nano-tradition. Meaning constant change and non-permenance. As Wall street says, quarterly changes.

N.O.R.F   

<cite>
said:</cite>

Norf,

I disagree with you. Ruunti,daaqanki haadha laaga taago maaxa noo haarey?

We will be like the natives - lost our lands and traditions and replaced with Modernity.

Modernity being only concerned with destroying traditions and the evolution of the nano-tradition. Meaning constant change and non-permenance. As Wall street says, quarterly changes.

Dee should our dhaqan be applicable in qurbaha? Why do others care if a grown man wears a particular type of hat? We have to accept that a large number of people have spent most of their lives out of the country in places with different cultures.

Back home my jeans and khakis are me whilst many consider macawiis iyo shaal as formal attire (you will never see me in a macawiis at a restaurant or hotel).

We are all influenced by our host countries one way or another but not necessarily in a negative way.

Khayr   

The fact that you don't see the distinctions means that you identify more with your "host" identity. If a Somali wears a Cowboy hat at the local Somali maaqaxiis then he is making a statement. That statement being that his cultural affinity has changed and that others should except him. A similar example is Somali women and pants.

this vainglorious man whose sly humour knows no bounds, on the one hand between his self-aggrandising musings, and on the other hand, in insulting the readers with this babbling mumbo-jumbo gibberish, fails to communicate the point, here. this is a man whose haste to succeed by way of integration, particularly in achieving social acceptance, has led him astray to a bizarre world of hats. lakinse, it's difficult to deny his cult of personality provides an intriguing and entertaining subplot to those heavily invested in such desperate enterprises.

N.O.R.F   

<cite>

The fact that you don't see the distinctions means that you identify more with your "host" identity. If a Somali wears a Cowboy hat at the local Somali maaqaxiis then he is making a statement. That statement being that his cultural affinity has changed and that others should except him. A similar example is Somali women and pants.

I see and know the differences in the cultures. He isn't saying anything of that sort. The hat thing is his way of saying to others don't let the, in his opinion, more trivial parts of your culture hold you back. I agree 100%.

Ps, do you wear a macawiis or a pair of trousers to work? Does that mean you have your affinity with Somali culture has changed? Are the hats you think he should wear not from another culture as well?

Khayr   

it's my hat, my choice

That was his quote and soon enough, one kid bought the same hat. That kid told him that he inspired him to purchase that hate. Meaning that if it is acceptable for an elder to wear it, then a young person could do the same without guilt.

If you see yourself becomig more and more comfortable with looking like your westernizered co-workers then there is a crisis of identity.

I see it within myself saxib. It feels great to assimilate and get invites to social events. What I find that eventually happens is their norms

become my norms. I start to dress like them, think like them, desire like them and express opinions like them.

If you can't see what I am talking about, just look the kids born in the 90's and 00's.

That hat represents a particular standard of assimilation and acceptance. That is what the article id about and the conclusion is what modernity echoes - MY CHOICE!

For ever personal choice, their is a path taken, a decision made and a result achieved.

Khayr   

it's my hat, my choice

That was his quote and soon enough, one kid bought the same hat. That kid told him that he inspired him to purchase that hate. Meaning that if it is acceptable for an elder to wear it, then a young person could do the same without guilt.

If you see yourself becomig more and more comfortable with looking like your westernizered co-workers then there is a crisis of identity.

I see it within myself saxib. It feels great to assimilate and get invites to social events. What I find that eventually happens is their norms

become my norms. I start to dress like them, think like them, desire like them and express opinions like them.

If you can't see what I am talking about, just look the kids born in the 90's and 00's.

That hat represents a particular standard of assimilation and acceptance. That is what the article id about and the conclusion is what modernity echoes - MY CHOICE!

For every personal choice, their is a path taken, a decision made and a result achieved.

<cite>

For every personal choice, their is a path taken, a decision made and a result achieved.

561025_470550882964894_1092197875_n.jpg

one word. EPIC FAIL.

N.O.R.F   

<cite>

For ever personal choice, their is a path taken, a decision made and a result achieved.

You’re taking this to another level when that’s not what he was suggesting. Again, his point was, don’t let trivial cultural issues get in your way. He didn’t suggest copy anyone or change to become part of another culture or dress this way or that way.