Sign in to follow this  
Reeyo

T'is the Season to be...

Reeyo   

Hey nomads!

I haven't posted in long while, this place has really lost it's interest. Even Al has stopped making multiple personas, but nevertheless it is the only place lost, frail, fragmented identities of Somalino is regularly discussed in English.

Reeyo   

I like it too, especially the running up- All that cheer, delusion of happiness and many many chocolates and 'oh it's ok, it's christmas' attitude. One season I envy cadaans lol

How is it in Hargiesa? Any parties on the rooftops and pretend qorbojoogs over-playing the whole 'you can take a Somali out of the west but you cant take the west out of a Somali'?

Haatu   

I don't see anything to celebrate. The weather is miserable and everyone is being fake and pretentious. The only silver lining is a few days off. Bah humbug.

Reeyo   

lol I love Christmas Carol, beautiful writing, not so interested in Dickinson portrayal of morality.

As for hating people pretending to be happy and pretentious, look around little Haatu, there is nothing genuine about our world, I'd rather deal with fakeness at being good rather then what we have the rest of the year.

Christmas Cheer!

Safferz   

I'm stuck at the airport on the busiest travel day of the year trying to fly to Toronto, which is in the midst of a severe ice storm and state of emergency, they're saying the runways are too icy and planes are frozen at the airport... my flight earlier today was cancelled, as was my evening flight I rescheduled for. So making a last ditch effort to get on the last flight tonight, if not I'll have to find a flight tomorrow that isn't full. I'm positive they'll lose my luggage in this mess too.

I JUST WANT TO GO HOME :(

Reeyo   

Offers a virtual hug to Saf*

I can feel the frustration and the need to shout and blame someone for this.

Just know, you made this decision and you need relax and smile through it. Btw perfect time to people watch, thousands of people are in that same predicament, try ask yourself where are they going...why...

Honestly inshallah you get home safe.

Safferz   

Thanks Reeyo. They just cancelled the rest of the flights to Toronto, so heading back to my apartment with all my luggage now ($40 cab ride each way :mad:), hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow. Ordering Thai food to comfort myself, not like I have food in my fridge anyway :(

Reeyo   

lol walle I feel for you hun. Once you get home do what I discovered this holidays, binge-watching! I am in between old seasons of the Gilmore girls and breaking bad...

Cheer up. :)

I'm getting tired of uttering saying 'you too ' when they tell me 'happy holidays' because they know I don't really mean it, I can see the pissed off look in their eyes, and the exaggerated restraint they are feigning in being forced to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

I've turned down multiple 'Holiday' gifts, secret santa invites, 'year end' celebrations.

They thank me for sacrificing my time, to work over the "Statuary Holidays", when it is no real sacrifice on my part.

it is just another calendar day to me, except it is quieter and my paycheck is a little fatter

Reeyo   

Geel, it is a holiday, maybe not a religious one, but nevertheless it's a date in the calender that Capitalism has granted the workers to rest and spend, and actually feel like they have some sort of control and valuable life. You're no different then your fellow workers, you deserve and psychologically need this time of year just as they do.

I don't understand why you feel so marginalized that you cant utter 'happy holidays' without making the other person feel uncomfortable?

Safferz   

Reeyo;992025 wrote:
lol walle I feel for you hun. Once you get home do what I discovered this holidays, binge-watching! I am in between old seasons of the Gilmore girls and breaking bad...

Cheer up.
:)

I'll be alright, trying to focus on the positive -- at least I live here, I'm not one of the people who has to sleep in the airport tonight :P I've actually been off for a few days now, I started binge watching earlier in the week as well... I started and finished Scandal in two days (two seasons + the 10 episodes of season three so far), and I'm currently watching House of Cards so I will get back to that tonight. I'm waiting until I get to Toronto to start Breaking Bad with my sister :)

Geel_jire;992028 wrote:
I'm getting tired of uttering saying 'you too ' when they tell me 'happy holidays' because they know I don't really mean it, I can see the pissed off look in their eyes, and the exaggerated restraint they are feigning in being forced to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas.

I've turned down multiple 'Holiday' gifts, secret santa invites, 'year end' celebrations.

They thank me for sacrificing my time, to work over the "Statuary Holidays", when it is no real sacrifice on my part.

it is just another calendar day to me, except it is quieter and my paycheck is a little fatter

Keep up the good work.

wyre   

Alpha Blondy;991990 wrote:
hi R

you can't deny it, even if you're anti-west like me.....lakinse, ma ogsoontahay Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year.

You really want to know what Christmas means to Somali's go to Mombasa :D