Sign in to follow this  
Allyourbase

Business and Money

I was wondering what you lot use in terms of saving/investment?

Any traders here?

I mean, with today's terrible interest rates dealing in shares seems a logical defense for you savings against inflation. So yeah, lets discuss money and investment.

Guje   

Have you tried unit trusts ?

the best option imo is to invest in africa, the returns are very high ~10% or 11 % is average

Sxb 10-11% is good but sometimes you would want a little more, especially if you do not have much (like me :D) the return on 11% is not that appealing when you look at the risk involved.

I have put a little bit into Tesla a few months back. I bought the shares at $37 and within a few months they went up to $190 which I did not expect. I got greedy though and did not sell, and they have since came down a bit to $140 now, at which point I bought a little more. This is a company that is not able to make cars quick enough to meet the demand, they have recently got a massive tax break. If I was a betting man i would say this share is on its way up ;)

YoniZ   

As nomad the most lucrative returns (over 20% ROI) can be found in both Somalia and the East Africa in general.

That of course, involve risks and it will need your personal attention.

On the plus side, the investment should create jobs, contribute to the well being of local people and, lastly but not least, open for you future opportunities in those markets to shine your mind and intellect.

Needing personal attention on my part makes it difficult as I am not based there. Also as I mentioned above 20% is good if you have big bucks laakin if you have a day job and looking to invest small amounts regularly I do not see that beating dealing in shares. However I would love to hear examples of industries or investment opportunities in East Africa.

To give a few examples on shares that I have personally dealt in over the last few years:

Baidu, this is the Chinese equivalent of Google, the biggest search engine in China. They were just expanding like crazy from 2009 onwards and I got a tip through a friend that they would be ones to watch. This was especially clear once you see how fast the number of interest users in China was rising, and as a search engine, more users = more ads. I bought at 40 odd per share and the price today is approaching 180. On my share dealing account the return reads +281.31%

And its still going up, wish I had bought more at the time.

I had also bought some Facebook shares just as they dipped below 19, and they had gone up to around 55 just now, an increase of +190.11%.

Similarly I bought into Groupon when it went public at 20 odd and saw it dive and reach 3.5 which was a loss at -87.09%.

So if you do you're research and it is an industry you know a bit about, you can choose safer investment options and still end with good profits above 20%.

YoniZ   

Well, as they say, we are so far a part and, in two different worlds.

I'm not into share dealing, not at-least for the past five years.

So, I wish you good luck with your investments.

YoniZ;991897 wrote:
That of course, involve risks and it will need your personal attention.

oh yeah?

here's an idea, abti.......

DANGEROUS adventure-based voyeur tourist packages to ''Somalia'' as shown on CNN - organise 'dangerous' tours around Mogadishu, Jubooyinka hoose and maybe Galkayo. set up meetings with AMISOM, KDF and other street militia type thugs (all actors). also ensure the thrill seekers meet key officials (actors). you'll also need a ''gadhweyn akhi'' sort of 'minder' (actor), critical of the all WESTern values, from the ministry of 'national guidance' to keep tabs on the tourists and to observe their probing ''jaajus'' activities at all times - induces a perverse sense of being monitored and controlled in them....:P:D add some simulated 'clan attacks' involving rival militias (all actors) on a UN food convoy....throw in some TERRORISM with some controlled IED explosions and a fake failed attempt at a suicide bombing..... oh and finally...some PIRACY related kidnapping stunt (4 days MAX but pirates have be gargaarka deg-dega qualified, just in case, dee...). the tour packages don't have to be real but by conforming to stereotypes, it'll work................ = MONEY :P:D

if that's too much for you.............................then you can always become a 'wakiil' or sole importing agent for the various cannobodhe, household detergent products and car engine oil shirkaddo making ridicolus profits....under the guise of their products exclusivity and also make a killing = MONEY....:P:D

Allyourbase;991811 wrote:
I do

Why do you ask? Can one not save and give to charity?

we know you created this thread in the hope of soliciting controversial comments from some ''sleep-cell'' akhi poster, ma garatay? :P

re: charity......sharing is caring, maha? :)

Alpha Blondy;991910 wrote:
oh yeah?

here's an idea, abti.......

DANGEROUS adventure-based voyeur tourist packages to ''Somalia'' as shown on CNN
- organise 'dangerous' tours around Mogadishu, Jubooyinka hoose and maybe Galkayo. set up meetings with AMISOM, KDF and other street militia type thugs (all actors). also ensure the thrill seekers meet key officials (actors). you'll also need a ''gadhweyn akhi'' sort of 'minder' (actor), critical of the all WESTern values, from the ministry of 'national guidance' to keep tabs on the tourists and to observe their probing ''jaajus'' activities at all times - induces a perverse sense of being monitored and controlled in them....
:P:D
add some simulated 'clan attacks' involving rival militias (all actors) on a UN food convoy....throw in some TERRORISM with some controlled IED explosions and a fake failed attempt at a suicide bombing..... oh and finally...some PIRACY related kidnapping stunt (4 days MAX but pirates have be gargaarka deg-dega qualified, just in case, dee...). the tour packages don't have to be real but by conforming to stereotypes, it'll work................ = MONEY

if that's too much for you.............................then you can always become a 'wakiil' or sole importing agent for the various cannobodhe, household detergent products and car engine oil shirkaddo making ridicolus profits....under the guise of their products exclusivity and also make a killing = MONEY....

This actually might work, and you wont need to hire many actors :D

YoniZ   

Abti, good idea. :)

Give me that last paragraph everyday of the week and just keep the nomad recently adopted immorality phrase 'greed is cool' out of the window.

It is miles better than the common NGO culture of boiling stomach (maxaan wax ku cunaa)