Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

English words that are most likely of Somali origin

I always thought the following words have Somali origin.

1. Rain --- Somali Reeyn (As is way ku reeyeen, RayReyn

2. Rugged - Somali Rag (Raganimo)

3. Lion - Somali Laayaan (bahal laayaan ah)

Its probably the other way around. English has existed much longer than Somali, probably hundred yrs longer. And we only came into contact with the English at the end of WW2 until 1960's. I don't think that's long enuff for them to learn Somali, incorporate it into their language, and then spread it in much of the rest of the world -- including the U.S and Australia.

Also, Light = Leeyr (Nal).

Wadani   

Nin-Yaaban;991688 wrote:
Its probably the other way around.
English has existed much longer than Somali, probably hundred yrs longer.
And we only came into contact with the English at the end of WW2 until 1960's. I don't think that's long enuff for them to learn Somali, incorporate it into their language, and then spread it in much of the rest of the world -- including the U.S and Australia.

Also, Light = Leeyr (Nal).

What's your proof for that statement? English is relatively new, with the most recent form of the language which would be intelligible to modern speakers dating back only to approx 1500 a.d. Old English (approx 500 a.d.-1000 a.d.) and Middle English (approx 1000a.d.-1500 a.d.) are so different from current English that they can essentially be deemed different languages.

I doubt a current Somali nomad and a nomad from the 14 century would find themselves in a situation of mutual unintelligibility. We haven't had the waves of foreign immigration it would take to fundamentally change the structure and vocabulary of Somali, which was the case in England with the Normandy invasion in 1066 a.d. and the subsequent introduction of thousands of loan words from French into English.

Folks don't jump to conclusions so quick and dismiss the Somali language as irrelevant. It has been proven that the Somali language has links to the ancient Egyptian Pharaonic civilisations. I wouldn't be surprised in fact if the words I mentioned above or some of it at least originated from either Egypt or of ancient Somali. For starters, what do English people know about Lions? I don't think Lions ever naturally lived in anywhere near Europe. I believe it is a borrowed word... and it is not coincidence that a similar word happens to be in the Somali language.

Wadani;991709 wrote:
What's your proof for that statement? English is relatively new, with the most recent form of the language which would be intelligible to modern speakers dating back only to approx 1500 a.d. Old English (approx 500 a.d.-1000 a.d.) and Middle English (approx 1000a.d.-1500 a.d.) are so different from current English that they can essentially be deemed different languages.

I doubt a current Somali nomad and a nomad from the 14 century would find themselves in a situation of mutual unintelligibility. We haven't had the waves of foreign immigration it would take to fundamentally change the structure and vocabulary of Somali, which was the case in England with the Normandy invasion in 1066 a.d. and the subsequent introduction of thousands of loan words from French into English.

I dunno, but i highly doubt English has borrowed from Somali.

Mooge   

lol@suldanka.

sheko funny ah ban ku haya. a friend of mine told me that the word ass in english means = aas in Somali. aaska madoow is black darkness. aasid is when you burry in darkness. and this all comes together in the english word "Somali ass" which is type of donkey unique to somalia.