Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

Count Down on Puntland Election, Jan 8, 2014.

Strong Candidates

The Imam is my favorite. He got the vision, he has anti-federalist goons in the south by the balls, and he got the style and swaggar.

Shire Haji is my second favorite: a quite business man with clean record from an important region.

Ali Haji Warsame is my third choice: a young articulate man with business background, and natural leader from Galkacyo.

It appears this is going to be smooth election. The Imam has the technical arguments backed by the political "sooyaal" and "xeer" on his side. The opposition as expected are intent to rattle the man out of his comfort zone but they come short on many fronts.

Weak Candidates with Name Recogntiion

Abdiweli Gaas, a Harvard educated former PM of the last TFG who got neither the vision nor the charisma to lead. His chances are not that great, but he has a fighting chance.

General Abdullaahi Siciid Samatar, a former Security Minister of PL, a man from Qardho, the region of Kings who seems to be in the fight for personal reasons. He wants Faroole removed so bad that he is recklessly dangerous to the very existence of Puntland. He single-handedly halted Puntland's march to multi party system. We judge him old but not wise.

It is indeed a very interesting election to watch

^Good Observation Che.

Faroole has been playing the political ball very well while the opposition were busy playing the man. The opposition tabled four agenda items. He agreed with 3, reducing the political impact of refusing the most important one (in the opposition eyes). That is why the opposition did not mention the agreement on the 3 items and only focused on the disagreement :D

By any standard reaching agreement 3 out of 4 issues in dispute in the first meeting is more than a breakthrough. They handed to him unwittingly. If I were them, I would only discuss the vetting committee issue ..which will turn deem the whole meeting a failure.

The important play is with respect of Clan chiefs. 32 clan chiefs are in Garoowe, majority of them can be characterized as Faroole ally. The opposition do not know how to say it but they did not like meeting Clan chiefs convened and the standing committee it resulted...

Very interesting political play. In this context. "ku dayo Puntland" might have an element of truth waryee :D

Ali Warsame is by far the coolest guy among the new Turks. He's very articulate and is likeable personality. His down fall will definitely be his past association with the Al-Itixad as some already suspect him of having closer relationship with Islamist in the south.

I agree with Xiin that both Gaas and ina Samatar lack the charisma and the vision needed to stir-head this sailing ship smoothly.

gooni   

Weak waxaan u qaatay inay afka qalaad ku tahay daciif cabdi weli gaas kuma jiro qolada daciifkaa waayo qardho xidid fiican baa ugu aasan gaalkacyana waxbuu ka riixan karaa waxaase laga yaabaa wararka hoose in faroole qadaafi ku noqdo

galbeedi   

They are all junior players compared to Rugcadaa Faroole. I think he is going to win unless they get smart and gang up against him. Remember how Sheekh Shariif was defeated in 2012.

I think Faroole is the best choice. I will advice Puntland parliamentarians not to repeat the same mistake that happened in the Federal Gov't election when they removed Sheikh Sharif coz he was the old guard. Same reason they want to remove Faroole now. Change is not needed in Puntland as it is now clear that it was not needed in the federal gov't as they miss the Sheikh now more than ever. Faroole for President!

Abdiwali Gaas is my least favorite candidate. It is either Faroole or a newcomer, the likes of Shire Xaji or Ali Xaji Warsame.

Gaas is a horrible choice, he got a chance to be honest, but he is not fit to lead Puntland at this stage.

Abdiwali Gaas is my least favorite candidate. It is either Faroole or a newcomer, the likes of Shire Xaji or Ali Xaji Warsame.

Gaas is a horrible choice, he got a chance to be honest, but he is not fit to lead Puntland at this stage.

galbeedi   

At first, A/weli Gaas seemed formidable and well qualified, then he opened his mouth and lol and be hold " waxa la yidhi waar yaa naga aamusiiya" he even boasted that he works only for four hours, twice a week and gets paid hundreds of thousand.He claimed that his kids got a tuition money worth up to sixty thousand dollars. He is not even full time but an associate professor, who is he kidding. Everybody thought he will be the champ who will unseat Faroole.

Gaas was never the candidate who is able to unseat Faroole. Education don't mean nothing in Politics. Education does not make leaders, it is a plus but it is not everything. Harvard graduate or not, he can't lead puntland, period. Faroole is the man, he is proven, period.