Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

What books have changed your life?

Safferz, random question but:

Where do you get your books? Do you buy it from a store, download it off Amazon, or do you use torrents to download a PDF copy of the book?

Because if you're an avid reader, buying books from the store constantly is gonna slowly bankrupt you lol

Safferz   

DoctorKenney;991370 wrote:
Safferz, random question but:

Where do you get your books? Do you buy it from a store, download it off Amazon, or do you use torrents to download a PDF copy of the book?

Because if you're an avid reader, buying books from the store constantly is gonna slowly bankrupt you lol

I order books from Amazon a lot (getting an Amazon Prime membership was the best decision ever), but I also frequently order from Abebooks, which is great for used books. But be sure to price compare with Amazon, sometimes Amazon can be cheaper than Abebooks for certain books or you save overall due to Amazon free shipping. I prefer having physical copies of books so I'm not a fan of ebooks, though I'll download one from time to time when it comes to older books that are out of print/difficult to find or too expensive to purchase (I mentioned a few websites I use here).

That said, I am broke :( Broke but proud of my personal library lol

I would much prefer ebooks over physical copies of books, but that's just me. And I can't stand going to the library and being put on a waiting list for books. So that's not much of an option.

My life would be so much easier if they allowed those with EReaders to "rent" books for a specified period of time (like 2 weeks). My life would be so much easier if they actually sold books at a reasonable price, but the AbeBooks website is actually fantastic.

Khadafi   

daskapital_cover1_200-s6-c30.jpg?t=12486

The struggle of the classes and how capital rules the life of many is allways relevant. I do not agree with him in his materialistic assertion on religion. The guy influenced me in his explanation why some are opressed and some not. I

Khayr   

I think that your infatuated with

DoctorKenney and I.

Offbase, I am flattered but I don't

feel the same way about you.

I think you are a good guy, brother. I would say if you have trouble finishing books you can perhaps start with smaller ones and work your way up. To this day one of my favourite books is the Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, check it out, you can finish it in a couple of hours and its dead good!

Haatu   

I can't think of any one book other than the Qur'an that has changed my life. Maybe I don't read the right type of books, who knows.

Safferz   

Apophis;991433 wrote:
It's what separates the sheep (those who cannot generate any ideas originally) and the idea/s generators (who write it in book format for the sheep).

Those who generate ideas are avid readers engaged in the world of ideas and the life of the mind, and after reading and thinking, become writers themselves.

Khayr;991396 wrote:
Have any of you really finished any of the books that you have listed?

Why wouldn't they have? I've read some of them multiple times.

Khayr   

Apo,

I agree with your point.

Most contemporary books

reflect a particular ethos and worldview.

You can tell the noticable decline in the quality of books and the ideas in those books.

Safferz   

Apophis;991485 wrote:
If I was trying to impress anyone I would have listed 10 books I haven't read insisting “they have changed my life". A laughably ridiculous idea.

Right :rolleyes: