Sign in to follow this  
cadnaan1

Somalis: The most entrepreneurial people in Africa.....

Hawdian   

OdaySomali;989779 wrote:
That's a myth.

Yes an article in itopiyaforum written by a bored teenager is not the most trust worthy source in the world

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;989785 wrote:
Somalis are doing ok. much still left to achieve. working at 53% capacity, i reckon.

Since you actually work with these people, can you please tell us what their work ethic is like adoo serious ah? Thanks.

The article is poorly written. How are you going to compare C.E.O's from large corporations to some police officer in MN or some sister who work at a bank in Kenya. Sure they're hardworking individuals and I take nothing away from them. But that's like saying look at us we're not just warlords and khat chewing pirates but we work for a living too. I'd suggest they profile the heads of major corporations, NGO's, educational institutions etc. to show how much influence we have around the world.

Haatu;989788 wrote:
Since you actually work with these people, can you please tell us what their work ethic is like adoo serious ah? Thanks.

working with these folks is fine maadaamooy yiheen dad khiyaale ah. i've come to accept their deficiencies. but for the most part, working with them, is a headache. the Somali has an enormous potential if he/she weren't so aggrandising, individually as well as collectively. the Somali is hardworking but this is prone to change, depending on how she/he feels. they appear to demonstrate a willingness to strive lakinse this is hampered by their hastiness, arrogance and pride.

indeed they are enterprising folks lakinse whatever ability the Somali possess is largely anomalous. the Somali needs to hone his/her skills, so they could replicate it time and again. also there's no deference nor a hierarchical structures in their culture, which is problematic. balse, their achelis heel still remains, and is predicated on what i call ''xaasid-xaasid psychology''. through eexaad, shakii and unilateral decision making tendencies, they are will continue to lag behind.

cala kul xaal.........it's organised chaos. everything functions, albeit vicariously. lakinse with more structures in place to correct these structural qaloocs, the Somali will overcome.

is that serious for you, abti?

guleed_ali;989791 wrote:
The article is poorly written. How are you going to compare C.E.O's from large corporations to some police officer in MN or some sister who work at a bank in Kenya. Sure they're hardworking individuals and I take nothing away from them. But that's like saying look at us we're not just warlords and khat chewing pirates but we work for a living too. I'd suggest they profile the heads of major corporations, NGO's, educational institutions etc. to show how much influence we have around the world.

far too many tokenist Somalis, these days.

Those are only the ones we know about....there are probably hundreds of thousands more out there that we've never heard about. Always puts things in prospective.

Congratulations to them.

Haatu   

Alpha Blondy;989800 wrote:
working with these folks is fine maadaamooy yiheen dad khiyaale ah. i've come to accept their deficiencies. but for the most part, working with them, is a headache. the Somali has an enormous potential if he/she weren't so aggrandising, individually as well as collectively. the Somali is hardworking but this is prone to change, depending on how she/he feels. they appear to demonstrate a willingness to strive lakinse this is hampered by their hastiness, arrogance and pride.

indeed they are enterprising folks lakinse whatever ability the Somali possess is largely anomalous. the Somali needs to hone his/her skills, so they could replicate it time and again. also there's no deference nor a hierarchical structures in their culture, which is problematic. balse, their achelis heel still remains, and is predicated on what i call
''xaasid-xaasid psychology''
. through eexaad, shakii and unilateral decision making tendencies, they are will continue to lag behind.

cala kul xaal.........it's organised chaos. everything functions, albeit vicariously. lakinse with more structures in place to correct these structural qaloocs, the Somali will overcome.

Interesting. Thanks again.

Alpha Blondy;989800 wrote:

indeed they are enterprising folks lakinse whatever ability the Somali possess is largely anomalous. the Somali needs to hone his/her skills, so they could replicate it time and again. also there's
no deference nor a hierarchical structures in their culture
, which is problematic. balse, their achelis heel still remains, and is predicated on what i call
''xaasid-xaasid psychology''
. through eexaad, shakii and
unilateral decision making tendencies
, they are will continue to lag behind.

Spot on Alpha it's a two way street. But in your experience have you seen Somalis respond better when their superiors treat them with more respect and take in their opinion when making decisions. Or is this considered a sign of weakness and open the door for more chaos.

Guje   

jingoist tripe, somalis are not all that when it comes to entrepreneurship despite what we tell ourselves. They have to break into the knowledge economy. right now all their businesses are about hotels, restaurants, export/import, xawaalad, trucking, land and properties and small time shops and the way they run them is not even professional.

Wadani;989780 wrote:
How so?

When compared to the performance of developed and developing economies of the world, we don't fare all that well. To take a few possible indicators, in relative terms Somalia doesnt have the largest or fastest growing economy, nor does it have the most business start-ups, nor does it have the largest and most successful companies or even up and coming SME's. The largest and most successful Somali company, which dwarfs all other companies, was a product of our civil war.

The facts don't agree with the case.