Sign in to follow this  
Mahiigaan

Khaatumo in Limbo

I have noticed that Khaatumo is not recognized by neither the International Community ( the real authorities in Somalia ) and the 'Federal Government'. In my opinion, the IC and the weak FG regard Khaatumo as part and parcel of Somaliland, though Puntland claims it. What is your take on this SOLers?

Wadani   

Ur analysis is correct. And Puntland has no real desire to go occupy Khaatumo territories...this Taleex episode only happened because the vice president of Puntland felt like he was being sidelined in his own hometown. So you can say that Puntland also regards Khaatumo as part and parcel of Somaliland. Somaliland and Puntland heshiisyo iyo wada shaqayn hosaad ah ayaa ka dhexeeya thanks to Faroole's responsible leadership on this front. He's recognized who the big boys in the region are and he's played ball accordingly.

Khaatumo is stuck between a rock and a hard place, and each year that goes by without some sort of conclusion to this affair is another year wasted for the people of this region. They should just throw their lot in with Somaliland and reap the political and economic benefits that the Somaliland administration is so eager to shower upon them.

Wadani   

Che -Guevara;989257 wrote:
lol@big boy waad ismahadiseey Wadani

Quick question,
what economic benefits does Somaliland offer
?

Not much, but it could definitely improve the eastern Sool and Sanaag regions which have for the most part missed out on the small but steady development taking place in the other regions.

As for the claim that Somaliland is the big boy of the region i'm basing this on objective measures. Compared to Puntland we have stronger and better developed political insitutions, our military is bigger, better armed and more ogranized, and our state budget is much larger. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Khatumo is doing fine guys, there are some problems with the pirates. They should sign cooperation deal with sl. And they can remain a buffer zone between sl and the garowe clan enclave. They can be part of sl from a distance. But having their own khatumo laws. I think that is perfect. Since karaash khatumo faction is garowes proxy. I think khatumo is doing fine they just need to stop all these nonsense shir abouts shirs maskax daalis. Guuleysta walaayaal

Somaliland or any other Somali entity does not have the resources or man to wage a long sustained conflict should if the tribes in any region decided to oppose their presence in any unified. One might be few battles, but they will eventually lose the war.

I think we need to define what economic developments are, if you are suggesting foreign aid as means of development, then there is not much Somaliland can offer. Khaatumo can setup its own shop and vie for aid much like Somaliland, Puntland, and what ever land.

Wadani   

Che -Guevara;989272 wrote:
Somaliland or any other Somali entity does not have the resources or man to wage a long sustained conflict should if the tribes in any region decided to oppose their presence in any unified. One might be few battles, but they will eventually lose the war.

I think we need to define what economic developments are, if you are suggesting foreign aid as means of development, then there is not much Somaliland can offer.
Khaatumo can setup its own shop and vie for aid much like Somaliland, Puntland, and what ever land

then why hasn't it?

^It is a process in progress, but lack of leadership and divisions are hampering their effort. The idea of Khaatumo has been planted, the first and most important step.

Che -Guevara;989272 wrote:

I think we need to define what economic developments are, if you are suggesting foreign aid as means of development, then there is not much Somaliland can offer. Khaatumo can setup its own shop and vie for aid much like Somaliland, Puntland, and what ever land.

Actually Somaliland avoids all sorts conflicts in those regions , thats why its always calls for peace and reconciliation, remember all the previous clashes were never large scale conflicts. Never did all the clashes escalate. Khatumo as i said before should be a lose entity between SL and the garowe administration and they should be allowed to use SL ports and airports, the same way the Khatumo factions in Taleex is allied to Puntland but remains a bit of autonomy under the supervision of garowe.

Dalmar1   

Che -Guevara;989283 wrote:
^It is a process in progress, but lack of leadership and divisions are hampering their effort. The idea of Khaatumo has been planted, the first and most important step.

well said,...Once an idea (for statehood/maamul) has taken hold of the mass, it's almost impossible to eradicate, its only a matter of time before khaatumo takes control of its destiny!

My understanding of Khatumo politics is that they are successionism, not against Somaliland per se. The problem in Greater Somalia is the art of dialog is non existent. Somali political framework revolves around emotions not rational thinking. At the end of the day the concerned parties turn out to be loosers. What i don't understand in Somali politics is this new phenomenon of clan enclaves. As an observer of current Somalia, the root of the problems everywhere are the so called Diaspora, especially the loosers. I mean in plain English, the jobless and those irresponsible whose families are shattered. They grab a ticket, which could be collected by the 'tolka'and head for the promised good life and Lala Land.

One can manage to gather few semi naked nomads with their AK-47s, make his own little flag and thinks of a moniker with a Land suffix. Hoopla, he is done!. Better knock down some of his manfactured enemies and he is a hero of that little patched no mansland!.

I think of Somalis like 5 year olds in the nursery where if someone takes the toys of others, they fight over b/c their cognitive development is incapable of tackling the problem in dialog.