Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

Somali girl rebels against Hijab, throws it in the snow

Safferz   

Haatu;988680 wrote:
I didn't understand a word of that gibberish. How did you guys?

There's about a minute of her speaking Somali with her father to say that she has thought about it carefully and decided not to wear hijab anymore, so perhaps people listened to that. But more likely is folks read Mooge's heading and the Somali title of the YouTube video to free associate with what they see in the video, since I doubt anyone in this thread speaks Norwegian, though perhaps Cadale can understand a little bit as a Swedish speaker.

Marksman;988975 wrote:
The hijab has been pushed on many Somali women in the last 10 or so years. It's all mostly about social control. If it were up to free will and actually choosing to wear it we would see more diversity. Nowadays it's almost becoming a cult and those that don't wear it get called out.

Nothing is said about Somali boys and men, their behavior and clothing. The hypocrisy is everywhere in Somali communities I have seen. I have even seen hookers with hijabs in Kenya. People shouldn't make religion so superficial. Barely any spirituality left if people continue like this.

Hijab on = Muslim. No hijab = non (or bad) Muslim. Ridiculous.

It's not just Somalis, it's much of the Muslim world that has reduced the Muslim woman's spiritual identity to her biology and sexuality through the valorization of the hijab as *the* sole marker of piety and religious commitment. The hijab is used far too often as a blunt instrument by the ignorant and malicious to measure one's quality as a woman and as a Muslim. It's actually quite perverse and male-centric when you stop to think about it, as many have come to elevate the hijab to the status of a pillar of Islam for reasons more cultural and social than religious.

Let's remember what prostitutes in Somalia look like:

254367_10151158558623347_1648518860_n.jp

Safferz   

Hawdian;988977 wrote:
^ sifcn imika dhamantiin uu aqriyaa ninkan ajinabiga waxu qorayoo oo side uu ummad muminenta isku dirayoo . Qofkaa cadowga ku ah diinta , ogow mumnintow wax fcn ma soo wada. Waxey isaga kagaley dharka gabdh muslim ah hedhaneyso? @ diinta alle beey dagaal kula jiraan habn iyo maliin waa dad muslimka necbanaya ila intey muslimka ka dhegaan sidey iyo yaheen.

lol, not the first thread I've seen you do this -- do you really think Somali is some sort of secret code for you to talk to your Salafi friends on SOL? Waa lagu fahmaya sxb, grow a pair and participate in the conversation constructively, whether you agree or disagree with the SOLer.

Hawdian   

@Safferz ^ I would discuss this video with you but I doubt you would understand any of it compared to me - som forstaa norsk. Also you calling me a salafi just shows how ignorant you are therefore I am not interested in bila faeeda like you. I have read several of your threads on sol you have nil islamic knowledge and education but still you insist on calling people you disagree with all kinds of names, time to have a rethink for your own sake.

Safferz   

Hawdian;988986 wrote:
@Safferz ^ I would discuss this video with you but I doubt you would understand any of it compared to me - som forstaa norsk. Also you calling me a salafi just shows how ignorant you are therefore I am not interested in bila faeeda like you. I have read several of your threads on sol you have nil islamic knowledge and education but still you insist on calling people you disagree with all kinds of names, time to have a rethink for your own sake.

Again, you regularly insult and spew vitriol in Somali and Arabic and assume the person you're directing it towards can't understand you, because you are a coward who is incapable of direct confrontation. I'm not interested in discussing anything with you, there are better uses of my time and it's apparent to anyone who has seen your posts - including the one I quoted above - that you are only capable of engaging with arguments to the extent that you deflect, distort and ridicule others, because you have nothing else to say.

ElPunto   

Safferz;988979 wrote:

It's not just Somalis, it's much of the Muslim world that has reduced the Muslim woman's spiritual identity to her biology and sexuality through the valorization of the hijab as *the* sole marker of piety and religious commitment. The hijab is used far too often as a blunt instrument by the ignorant and malicious to measure one's quality as a woman and as a Muslim. It's actually quite perverse and male-centric when you stop to think about it, as many have come to elevate the hijab to the status of a pillar of Islam for reasons more cultural and social than religious.

Let's remember what
look like:

The hijab is an important part and parcel of modesty for a Muslim female. Nothing more and nothing less. I find it fascinating that you and Marksman are engaging in hearsay strawman arguments to justify your issues with it. Who is 'much of the Muslim world that has reduced the Musilm woman's identity....to hijab'? Who has elevated 'the hijab to the status of a pillar of Islam'? Offhand I would be shocked to discover any scholar who would elevate hijab to a pillar in Islam.

Safferz   

ElPunto;988994 wrote:
The hijab is an important part and parcel of modesty for a Muslim female. Nothing more and nothing less. I find it fascinating that you and Marksman are engaging in hearsay strawman arguments to justify your issues with it. Who is 'much of the Muslim world that has reduced the Musilm woman's identity....to hijab'? Who has elevated 'the hijab to the status of a pillar of Islam'? Offhand I would be shocked to discover any scholar who would elevate hijab to a pillar in Islam.

I'm talking about the social narrative and discourse about the hijab, not limited to this thread but how the hijab is viewed by Muslims generally. It's considered central to Islamic practice when it comes to Muslim women, and its very presence or absence seen as an indication of her level of iman/religious commitment. It's not a "hearsay, strawman argument" and I'm surprised you don't see this, but it's quite apparent particularly if you're a Muslim woman and subject to its pressures.

I don't have issues with the hijab -- I respect any woman's decision to wear one, as well as a woman's decision to take it off. It's a deeply personal matter and what I object to is how women are caught between those two pressures, the Muslim preoccupation with the female body and female sexuality that frames social narratives of hijab today, and the fear, guilt and shame of veiling/unveiling as a result of that fixation.

Safferz;988979 wrote:

Let's remember what
look like:

254367_10151158558623347_1648518860_n.jp

Hahahahahah, this made my day.

This is a powerful photo, and it should be turned into a billboard that reads the following:

Do you feel like the bed sheets that you used to conceal your identity give you a "sense of freedom" to drink, smoke, and wh*ore yourself to the highest bidder? Freedom anyone?

Hawdian;988986 wrote:
@Safferz ^ I would discuss this video with you but I doubt you would understand any of it compared to me - som forstaa norsk. Also you calling me a salafi just shows how ignorant you are therefore I am not interested in bila faeeda like you. I have read several of your threads on sol
you have nil islamic knowledge and education
but still you insist on calling people you disagree with all kinds of names, time to have a rethink for your own sake.

Mida hore, What are you, the grand mufti of SOL?

My suggestion is that you refrain from attacks and insults of SOL members.

Mida kale, stay in school. Work on your comprehension skills. (READ A BOOK)

Finally, try your best not to repeat the rants of your dugsi tutor.

Safferz   

LayZie G.;989001 wrote:
Hahahahahah, this made my day.

This is a powerful photo, and it should be turned into a billboard that reads the following:

Do you feel like the bed sheets that you used to conceal your identity give you a "sense of freedom" to drink, smoke, and wh*ore yourself to the highest bidder? Freedom anyone?

lol it's an interesting image, and just goes to show that one's piety cannot be assumed on the basis of hijab/hijablessness. But I think anyone who has been back home or to any Muslim country for that matter would already know that there's little correlation between religious observance and how much clothing a woman (or man) is wearing. In Addis and Hargeisa I knew Somali women who wore niqabs to block the sun and keep their skin as light as possible. Hijab only has religious meaning when it's voluntary, not when it's forced, whether that's legally in places like Saudi Arabia or at the societal and family level as it is in many cultures like ours (in the last few decades, at least). For that reason I applaud the young woman in the video for making the decision out of her own agency, as difficult as it is to do.

^ well said and thank you for sharing the photo, lol.

More on Niqabi Fadumo Ali...Freeeeeeeeeeeeeedom.

somalia-end-of-piracy-2.jpg?w=940&h=623

Favourite quote:

As she smoked a hookah in a hot, airless room last week, she sneered as she answered a phone call from a former customer seeking her services on credit.

“Those days are over. Can you pay me $1,000?” she asked, the price she once commanded for a night’s work. “If not, goodbye and leave me alone.” She hung up and groaned out loud:
“Money.”

By Fadumo Ali

Courtesy of Safferz via National Post

Safferz;988981 wrote:
lol, not the first thread I've seen you do this -- do you really think Somali is some sort of secret code for you to talk to your
Salafi friends
on SOL? Waa lagu fahmaya sxb,
grow a pair
and participate in the conversation constructively, whether you agree or disagree with the SOLer.

You are an articulate, educated Somali Woman but I think that's uncalled for. Especially the way a majority of the men on here respect you and praise you. If this was towards a troller I'd understand it as anger but Hawdian is well mannered and respectful man and I don't think he or any of the good brothers deserve this. If it isn't good enough for an intellectual debate why is it good enough for SOL?

Is it a problem for a Man to wish that all Muslim Women wear the hijab? It wouldn't be a problem if I wanted all Muslim people to stop backbiting or that all Muslim people wouldn't steal from one another. Why is the hijab a touchy subject? Somali Men don't get upset when our sisters tell us to get our act together and become better Men, Sons, Father, Uncles etc. As a Muslim I believe every Muslimah should wear a Hijab. The hijab is prescribed upon Muslimas just like kinship, obeying your parents etc are. If a father teaches his daughter about Salah and forces her to pray then why can't he teach her about hijab and force her to wear the hijab. The hijab may not necessarily be a pillar of Islam but it is a condition for the second pillar of Islam (Prayer). Why must we categorize these under oppression or misuse of the deen. Why can't it be a Muslim wanting good for his fellow Muslimah, sometimes we over analyze issues and distort the true intention of the people.

Safferz   

guleed_ali;989011 wrote:
You are an articulate, educated Somali Woman but I think that's uncalled for. Especially the way a majority of the men on here respect you and praise you. If this was towards a troller I'd understand it as anger but Hawdian is well mannered and respectful man and I don't think he or any of the good brothers deserve this. If it isn't good enough for an intellectual debate why is it good enough for SOL?

And that was me being polite. I don't know what posts you've been reading for you to conclude Hawdian is well mannered and respectful, even if we put aside his posting history for a moment and look at his comments in this thread alone, it's simply false. He is crass, unthinking and rude, contributing little beyond insults towards me and others he disagrees with in the threads we've both participated in. Kindness and respect are reciprocal, whether it's on the internet or in person, so don't try to police my behaviour or admonish me for being cheeky with someone who has been blatantly disrespectful towards me and others on this forum in the few months he's been here.

guleed_ali;989012 wrote:
Is it a problem for a Man to wish that all Muslim Women wear the hijab? It wouldn't be a problem if I wanted all Muslim people to stop backbiting or that all Muslim people wouldn't steal from one another. Why is the hijab a touchy subject? Somali Men don't get upset when our sisters tell us to get our act together and become better Men, Sons, Father, Uncles etc. As a Muslim I believe every Muslimah should wear a Hijab. The hijab is prescribed upon Muslimas just like kinship, obeying your parents etc are. If a father teaches his daughter about Salah and forces her to pray then why can't he teach her about hijab
and force her to wear the hijab.
The hijab may not necessarily be a pillar of Islam but it is a condition for the second pillar of Islam (Prayer).
Why must we categorize these under oppression or misuse of the deen.
Why can't it be a Muslim wanting good for his fellow Muslimah, sometimes we over analyze issues and distort the true intention of the people.

You can wish and choose to believe whatever you want, but pressure, coercion and force is unacceptable. Hijab is a contentious subject for this reason, and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, has been and continues to be used as an instrument to oppress women in many Muslim majority countries. I'm not one to argue hijab is oppressive - I think of it as dualistic in that way, liberating for some while subjugating for others - but what makes it so is the question of force/coercion vs. agency/free will.

Hawdian   

Kaluun;988620 wrote:
Inadeerayaal they are saqiir and little girls who don't know right from wrong. At this stage they are discovering about boys and looking certain ways to get attention in class.

Let's not judge. Mida kale Hijjab is not compulsory. What matters the most is the heart and the practice. The wadu (wayso) is far greater than hijjab. If girls do wadu 5 times a day and wear no hijjab way shidan yahin.

Hablaaha yaryar dhaafa. Let them protest. Kuwa protest gareya are the ones that later become the righteous ones because they question and investigate rather than just take it. Diintu is as much about submission as is about questioning and rebelling. What's submission to Allah without some rebellion?

When one submits without being first a rebel, what is he or she submitting?

Ma garateen?

May Allah continue to guide them. Habloo xun maha.

Ruunti tallo fcn baa sheegtey. I have just watched the YouTube clip again and can honestly say that this girl comes from a loving good family she has a very supportive father , her mother is dead before they came to Norway . This girl talks with her dad about wearing the hijab she does not wear it to school now . She says its really important for her to archive her goals and make her family proud of her . She says she will wear hijab again when she feels ready even its for forever .she says to the question on wether she is Norwegian or muslim that she is Norwegian muslim. This is not an interview about hijab but about a young muslim girl reflecting about her life in Norge and seen this I have no doubt that Yasmin will become a mature successful young adult due to her wonderful family and the fact she so intelligent . Overall a good interview with a very well spoken young muslim girl .

Safferz;989013 wrote:
And that was me being polite. I don't know what posts you've been reading for you to conclude Hawdian is well mannered and respectful, even if we put aside his posting history for a moment and look at his comments in this thread alone, it's simply false. He is crass, unthinking and rude, contributing little beyond insults towards me and others he disagrees with in the threads we've both participated in. Kindness and respect are reciprocal, whether it's on the internet or in person, so don't try to police my behaviour or admonish me for being cheeky with someone who has been blatantly disrespectful towards me and others on this forum in the few months he's been here.

You can wish and choose to believe whatever you want, but pressure, coercion and force is unacceptable. Hijab is a contentious subject for this reason, and whether you want to acknowledge it or not, has been and continues to be used as an instrument to oppress women in many Muslim majority countries. I'm not one to argue hijab is oppressive - I think of it as dualistic in that way, liberating for some while subjugating for others - but what makes it so is the question of
force/coercion
vs. agency/free will.

Then let's not force kids to eat their veggies or do their homework. Better yet let's get rid of curfew or chores. The deen is not something where you can pick and choose. If there are people who despise the Hijab and don't want to wear it they're the exception not the rule. Making the Hijab mandatory in a Muslim country is the same as indecency laws in North America (we just have a higher level of modesty, just as some States have a higher level of modesty than other States). Our opinions as outsiders are moot what matters is the will of the people in that particular country and their lawmakers, and one's got to admit it is way more than the typical 50+1 that is required in "democracy" (using the KSA as a test country). By the way you find just as many Women (if not more) fighting to enforce the Hijab as you do Men.