Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

Flights between Somalia and Somaliland cancelled due to row

Flights between Mogadishu and Somaliland cancelled due to row

Print

Nov 30, 2013 | By Somalicurrent

Local Air travel between Somalia’s capital Mogadishu and Berbera, was grounded for the second day, after air carriers canceled their flights due to passport row between Somalia government and Somaliland.

Somali Immigration Department has allegedly arrested passengers traveling to Berbera on Thursday, accusing them of using the previous banned Somali Passport.

July 2011, the Transitional Federal Government has officially banned the usage of the Green Passport and ordered the citizens to apply the biometric passport known as E-Passport in the country.

However, Somaliland administration in northern Somalia does not recognize Somalia’s Biometric Passport and instead opted originally used one.

In an interview with BBC, Somaliland Interior Minister Ali Mohamed Waran-ade said earlier October that his government would not allow the public to use the passport.

“We broke away from Somalia, we don’t recognize their passport and they don’t recognize ours,” said Waran-ade, adding, “No one can travel with Somali passport, unless it is the previous one.”

The passport row between Mogadishu and Hargeisa led the cancellation of the flights, upsetting aid workers and local travellers.

No official from both sides has commented on the issue, but air carriers are trying to find a way to continue the flights.

Somaliland is self-declared sovereign state that is internationally recognised as an autonomous region of Somalia.

nuune   

Somaliland is a sovereign state that is internationally recognised government.

adigoon articlekan soo galin halkan ayaad intaas SOL ku qori kartaa yaa Xaaji Xeyraan, Ramadan Kariim, sxb

Dalmar1   

About time!!,......wallahi we should even go furher and drop this useless talks forever, it never made sense to us to talk to useless minority, they were waiting for 20+years, and im sure they can WAITE another 20+ years for us to consolidate our power-base and Army!,..........PM saacid will leave and we ''Mooryaa/n'' can finally fill up the posts in the Government with our members 100%, which with that we shall consolidate our Power politically and Militarily (just liberated Shabelle Dhexe and Hiiran, and more to come) and then we shall come to you up north, based on our terms!

We shall arrest anyone that shows Treacherous unpatriotic behaviour toward to the Somalia nation, wallahi we shall corner and tighten the breaths of any spoiler to the Somalia nation, Gudoomiyo siilaanyo ee maamulka hargeisa will be dealt with swiflty, and accordingly (regionally and any grievance he and his people have will be dealt with accordingly) so no worries there!

Guul Xamar, Guul Somalia

Dalmar1;988523 wrote:
About time!!,......wallahi we should even go furher and drop this useless talks forever, it never made sense to us to talk to useless minority!,..........PM saacid will leave and we ******** can finally fill up the post s in the Government with our members 100%, which with that we shall consolidate our Power politically and Militarily and then we shall come to you up north, based on our terms!

You cant back down from the talks you can prolong it but it has an end the talks can only fail we are waiting when they do but no side both SL or Somalia can back down from the Talks. The only way we can go from here is let the talks collapse all together and than the ball is in the court of our friends the Europeans and how to go from there:D

nuune;988521 wrote:
adigoon articlekan soo galin halkan ayaad intaas SOL ku qori kartaa yaa Xaaji Xeyraan, Ramadan Kariim, sxb

war waxaad aad so qortay adiga iska sameystey ma xiligi jimanku soomi jireen ba la gaadhay ilen wakhti kale ba idin cayiman idinka eh:D

Kaluun   

It's good news for Somaliland. Somaliland took measures, the Konfuris had no choice but to comply and now their weak government is bullying them. We have no one travelling to or from Mogadishu so its their own loses. I have a feeling they will soon realize this and resume it.

Meanwhile, all Somalis from the south who want to enter Ethiopia must do so via Somaliland.

Saalax;988530 wrote:
Good. Southern movement to Somaliland should be limited.

So either Somalia or Somaliland Salax, do I have to choose one? I can't love my northerners like I love my southerners. Are we going the George Bush way of "with us or against us". I ask Allah to unite all Somalis under Islam before Qabiil, politics, and ideology. Allahuma Ameen!

Guleed Ali in an ideal world Somalia and Somaliland would have been the best allies boosting relations on all fronts integrating their economies the movement of people the boundaries between the 2 countries would become eventually artificial since the countries have shared values culture linguistic ties, many of Somaliland have relatives in Somalia and many in Somalia have relatives in Somaliland.

The whole passport dispute would not been even an issue if the 2 countries had diplomatic ties Tanzania Kenya and Uganda are about to introduce one passport ,in time Somalia and Somalia and Djibouti could introduce one passport. But Somalis are to proud compromising on such issues is impossible both Somalis of Somalia and Somalis of Somaliland are stubborn and consider compromising and giving each other the benefit of the doubt being defeated by the other. A home grown new union based on shared interest and mutual respect could have been created long time ago but i doubt we are any different than the rest of African nations that went their separate ways. We will never see the bigger picture well atleast the leaders will not the bickering and disputes will continue for years to come.

Xaaji Xunjuf;988541 wrote:
Guleed Ali in an ideal world Somalia and Somaliland would have been the best allies boosting relations on all fronts integrating their economies the movement of people the boundaries between the 2 countries would become eventually artificial since the countries have shared values culture linguistic ties, many of Somaliland have relatives in Somalia and many in Somalia have relatives in Somaliland.

The whole passport dispute would not been even an issue if the 2 countries had diplomatic ties Tanzania Kenya and Uganda are about to introduce one passport ,in time Somalia and Somalia and Djibouti could introduce one passport. But Somalis are to proud compromising on such issues is impossible both Somalis of Somalia and Somalis of Somaliland are stubborn and consider compromising and giving each other the benefit of the doubt being defeated by the other. A home grown new union based on shared interest and mutual respect could have been created long time ago but i doubt we are any different than the rest of African nations that went their separate ways. We will never see the bigger picture well atleast the leaders will not the bickering and disputes will continue for years to come.

Well said, Jazakllahu khairn Xaaji. I appreciate your candor and forthrightness. The way I look it is from the perspective of the average Somali. As a future entrepreneur (in shaa Allah) investing in Somalia/Somaliland kinda scares me right now. If I were to build a shipping empire (hypothetically I'm just a broke student right now) and I can't get from my offices in Berbera to my offices in Xamar because of these silly arguments then I may base my headquarters in Dubai. Who loses at the end is the Somali people who may have gainful employment if say my offices were in Berbera. I'm just saying that these irrational decisions effect more than just politicians. If these politicians don't see the bigger picture then I'm not sure if there's any hope left for Somalia.

Xaaji Xunjuf;988541 wrote:

I can't believe it, what you're suggesting here is a union with borders. What next? A unified currency? A mutual defence pact? I see cracks in your armor Xaaji.

Hawdian   

The leaders of somaliya continuing their war against the republic of Somaliland on another front . We will see where this ends .

Kaluun   

Somaliland does not recognize the illegal paper from Mogadishu. Just because few Western nations endorsed the one-man mafia in Villa Somali Italia it doesn't make it legit.

Before Mogadishu produces new scam papers with the help of Chinese manufacturers and Nigerians, it should counsel Hargeisa and all passports from Somalia should have the map of Somalia that does not include Somaliland. When we see this map on their passport, we will endorse it.

Until then all Konfuris coming to SL must enter with the old passports when there was a country called Somali Republic. At least we are still keeping Siad Barre's legacy alive :cool:

Imagine recognizing all the forgery Shillings from Somalia's many warlords. Their passport is not any different. Just because it has biometric chip ($0.80 per chip, MOQ: 2000) it doesn't mean its legit paper from legit authority.

The funny thing is none of them even have biometric readers/devices. Lama oga if the chip works or not. For all we know Hormuud telecom chip/sim-card could be in there.

Homunculus;988560 wrote:
I can't believe it, what you're suggesting here is a union with borders. What next? A unified currency? A mutual defence pact? I see cracks in your armor Xaaji.

Everything is possible Homunculus if Somalis put aside their differences a unified currency could work if Somalis work it out in details. But i am realistic this is impossible well atleast in our life time or even that of our children. If the Europeans can do it can put aside their differences today they have one currency a unified market movement of people.