Sign in to follow this  
thefuturenow

Student? What are you Studying?

Much of what you have said applies in the US. Although, math and, less so, science majors still have good prospects if they're willing to go to non-academic fields such as public policy, finance and tech. Unfortunately, my experience is limited to [redacted] and I'm not sure what the prospects are for those who graduate from state public schools. I would guess they continue to fall victim to the emerging plutocracy.

If I had a sister, I would have thought I was your brother.

Safferz   

thefuturenow;988822 wrote:
Much of what you have said applies in the US. Although, math and, less so, science majors still have good prospects if they're willing to go to non-academic fields such as public policy, finance and tech. Unfortunately, my experience is limited to [redacted] and I'm not sure what the prospects are for those who graduate from state public schools. I would guess they continue to fall victim to the emerging plutocracy.

If I had a sister, I would have thought I was your brother.

What did the redacted part say? :) But yes, I agree... overall the prospects are slightly better for science students (which is why I disagreed with Blackflash and said social sciences/humanities students are more likely to have an interest in their majors, because they still go into it despite knowing that it may be difficult career-wise), and a lot of other factors play into it. A BA from Columbia will open more doors than a BA from SUNY Buffalo. Canada is slightly better in that as much as we like to tease other schools for being "lesser than," overall it's high quality education across the board and less of a disparity between schools as the US, where there are Harvards and Florida Atlantics :P

Safferz;988828 wrote:
What did the redacted part say?
:)
But yes, I agree... overall the prospects are slightly better for science students (which is why I disagreed with Blackflash and said social sciences/humanities students are more likely to have an interest in their majors, because they still go into it despite knowing that it may be difficult career-wise), and a lot of other factors play into it. A BA from Columbia will open more doors than a BA from SUNY Buffalo. Canada is slightly better in that as much as we like to tease other schools for being "lesser than," overall it's high quality education across the board and less of a disparity between schools as the US, where there are Harvards and Florida Atlantics
:P

My democratic Canadian, allow me to introduce http://preftige.wordpress.com/

Safferz   

thefuturenow;988831 wrote:
My democratic Canadian, allow me to introduce

This is hilarious :D :D :D Especially the post on "extracting prestige" from conversations with people, ha. Now I may be a democratic Canadian, but I've unfortunately become quite acquainted with the culture now that I go to school in the US. I think it's all a bit silly, there are many great schools people are less familiar with than the Ivies (ie. Duke, Northwestern, University of Michigan), and the prestigious schools mentioned aren't necessarily the top schools for certain fields. But often the brand name outweighs field ranking.

Tallaabo   

thefuturenow;987813 wrote:
I'd like to get a sense of the student population on SOL and what they're studying. For the sake of Somalia, I hope there are more physicists than political scientists
;)

If Somali politicians were more versed in the political science and learned about how successful countries are organised, our society would not be in such a mess. So I think more graduates in politics will serve our society well.

Tallaabo;988836 wrote:
If Somali politicians were more versed in the political science and learned about how successful countries are organised, our society would not be in such a mess. So I think more graduates in politics will serve our society well.

Yeah, I definitely agree. History would be useful too.

Somalia needs diaspora members who are well-versed and educated in the political sciences, as well as economics. These people would be ideal when it comes to running Somalia, and lifting our country from the miserable state that it's in.

We need skilled politicians, we don't need clowns like Faroole and Hassan Sheikh running the nation.

Safferz   

DoctorKenney;988840 wrote:
Yeah, I definitely agree. History would be useful too.

Somalia needs diaspora members who are well-versed and educated in the political sciences, as well as economics. These people would be ideal when it comes to running Somalia, and lifting our country from the miserable state that it's in.

We need skilled politicians, we don't need clowns like Faroole and Hassan Sheikh running the nation.

So many fields in the humanities and social sciences would be useful, I think... beyond political science, history and economics, we have related fields like law, anthropology and sociology that offer different perspectives on politics, culture and society that would be of great relevance to us back home, where much of our political issues are rooted in the current fragmentation of Somali society and the failure of state political institutions (an anthropologist would point out how qabiil is a political institution that has persisted, and a sociologist can analyze the workings of qabyalad and other ideologies, for example).

Tallaabo   

Safferz;988842 wrote:
So many fields in the humanities and social sciences would be useful, I think... beyond political science, history and economics, we have related fields like law, anthropology and sociology that offer different perspectives on politics, culture and society that would be of great relevance to us back home, where much of our political issues are rooted in the current fragmentation of Somali society and the failure of state political institutions (an anthropologist would point out how qabiil is a political institution that has persisted, and a sociologist can analyze the workings of qabyalad and other ideologies, for example).

I absolutely agree with you. Many people and not just Somalis think that the humanities and social sciences have no relevance in the real world when in fact these disciplines are the like a manual detailing how the giant engine .i.e., the human society functions. Without Somali scholars who are experts in the problems the Somali society is struggling with, solutions to solve these problems would be difficult to come by. And it is precisely in the humanities and social sciences that societal problems and solutions to solve such problems are learned and researched. So we as a society desperate for solutions to many problems need our students to master these academic disciplines.

thefuturenow;988810 wrote:
Nice. PHD program?

Soomaali iska ba daaye...tell us what is Crypto in English?

Waad iga qoslisay. Waa su'aale maxaa Soomaali bi'iyay?

Crypto waa laan ka mid ah laamaha xisaabaha loona isticmaalo qarinta ama adkaynta waxyaabaha lagu wada xidhiidho sida qarinta xidhiidhka ciidamada, xidhiidhka bangiyada iyo wixii lamid ah ee u qalma in laga ilaaliyo indho aanan loogu tala galin inay arkaan.

Safferz   

Tallaabo;988853 wrote:
I absolutely agree with you. Many people and not just Somalis think that the humanities and social sciences have no relevance in the real world when in fact these disciplines are the like a manual detailing how the giant engine .i.e., the human society functions. Without Somali scholars who are experts in the problems the Somali society is struggling with, solutions to solve these problems would be difficult to come by. And it is precisely in the humanities and social sciences that societal problems and solutions to solve such problems are learned and researched. So we as a society desperate for solutions to many problems need our students to master these academic disciplines.

Definitely. This is a refreshing thread, usually I find myself arguing in defense of the humanities and social sciences so it's nice to see others recognizing their importance :P I was fortunate to have parents open to us studying whatever we wanted (my mom is in the sciences, but my dad studied political science and is a huge reader)... but sadly for hoyo the three of us took after abo and studied history, political science, and anthropology respectively :D But I can imagine what it's like in households where your parents see more value in certain fields over others, not only does this shape a child's attitudes towards education but also makes it difficult to pursue majors in the humanities/social sciences when your parents consider it a disappointment.

Safferz   

Apophis;988987 wrote:
What has "social sciences" or it's retarded sibling, "humanities", ever contributed to man that natural instinct hasn't (and with much better results); absolutely nothing.Both fields are as intellectually valid as astrology. Fadlan benta joojiya.

sdLEY.gif

I'm really concerned with the lack of young entrepreneurs and the ever intense focus on post secondary education. Access to capital is not as hard as it used to be. But I believe that most people would rather have income security than take a 'risk' with starting a business and possibly failing. I guess the days of operating a business during the day and working shift work at night to make ends meet are over. I hope more and more people are leaning towards entrepreneurship. I myself am leaning towards it simply for the lack of jobs rather than my entrepreneurial spirit. Even though I have had offers of start-up capital from some friends and family, I haven't yet pulled the trigger. May Allah make it easy for all of us.

guleed_ali;989694 wrote:
I'm really concerned with the lack of young entrepreneurs and the ever intense focus on post secondary education. Access to capital is not as hard as it used to be. But I believe that most people would rather have income security than take a 'risk' with starting a business and possibly failing. I guess the days of operating a business during the day and working shift work at night to make ends meet are over. I hope more and more people are leaning towards entrepreneurship. I myself am leaning towards it simply for the lack of jobs rather than my entrepreneurial spirit. Even though I have had offers of start-up capital from some friends and family, I haven't yet pulled the trigger. May Allah make it easy for all of us.

Why do you say access to capital is easier?