Sign in to follow this  
thefuturenow

Student? What are you Studying?

Jacpher;987962 wrote:
Morgueology.

Nice. You should consider a minor in necrophiliogy.

Cadale;987968 wrote:
Im studying Fadhi ku dirir specialized in Qabyaalad and divisive politics at Safari restaurant.:cool:

Do they still have that hall in the back where they hold "seminars"?

Safferz   

thefuturenow;987813 wrote:
I'd like to get a sense of the student population on SOL and what they're studying. For the sake of Somalia, I hope there are more physicists than political scientists
;)

I happen to think we need more political scientists, actually... lots of us in the sciences and math and hold those fields in high esteem, all the while getting upset with the discourse and representations of us in policy, media, etc. You need Somalis in the social sciences and humanities for us to be able to participate in the discourse.

I'm in graduate school, studying African history.

Safferz;988547 wrote:
I happen to think we need more political scientists, actually... lots of us in the sciences and math and hold those fields in high esteem, all the while getting upset with the discourse and representations of us in policy, media, etc. You need Somalis in the social sciences and humanities for us to be able to participate in the discourse.

It's not so much an issue with the Social Sciences themselves as it is those who take them. In every subject you'll find those who have little to no interest in their field. This is strictly anecdotal evidence on my part, but while these students can be found in great numbers in STEM fields, they seem to make up the overwhelming majority of those in the Social Sciences. Both you and Apophis have degrees in the Political and Social Sciences, and it's clear that you two have an interest in your respective fields, but that is simply not the case for the majority of your colleagues.

Safferz   

Blackflash;988801 wrote:
It's not so much an issue with the Social Sciences themselves as it is those who take them. In every subject you'll find those who have little to no interest in their field. This is strictly anecdotal evidence on my part, but while these students can be found in great numbers in STEM fields, they seem to make up the overwhelming majority of those in the Social Sciences. Both you and Apophis have degrees in the Political and Social Sciences, and it's clear that you two have an interest in your respective fields, but that is simply not the case for the majority of your colleagues.

I see the reverse trend actually, also anecdotal evidence on my part and no doubt tied to the fact I was an undergrad at UTSG -- there were just so many students in the sciences who either did not want to be there but chose their majors due to family/cultural pressures, and others who simply weren't good enough in those fields but decided to stick it out anyway (with the unlikely dream of becoming doctors and other professionals). If anything, I would say students in the social sciences and humanities are more likely to have an interest in their fields than students in the sciences/math, because they are aware that their degrees do not have as many job prospects on their own, but they choose to pursue those majors anyway.

Safferz;988547 wrote:

Nice. PHD program?

I agree with Blackflash. We study social sciences and humanities until bills come due. Those are fields for the financially secure 2nd generation qurbo-joog perhaps.

Complicated;988632 wrote:
Xisaab iyo Crypto (Crypto eray af Soomaali ah ma leedahay?)

Soomaali iska ba daaye...tell us what is Crypto in English?

Safferz   

thefuturenow;988810 wrote:
Nice. PHD program?

I agree with Blackflash. We study social sciences and humanities until bills come due. Those are fields for the financially secure 2nd generation qurbo-joog perhaps.

Yes, I'm a "career student" :P

I'm not sure I agree with that, a lot of science/math majors have increasingly limited job prospects too, unless it's something like engineering. Blackflash and I are both from Canada, a country where over 50% of people have post-secondary education, and where a BA/BSc these days is what the high school diploma was 20 years ago... a basic requirement, but not enough on its own to qualify you for a job. So what you do during those four years of your undergraduate degree are more important than what you major in... I had quite a bit of job experience/skills and relevant research experience as an undergrad, as did my brother who studied political science, and both of us had good job prospects with the BA. But I decided to go into academia because the thought of an unchallenging job working 9-5 in a cubicle terrified me, and he chose to go to law school and will soon have paycheques I could only dream of lol

Unfortunately a lot of students believe simply going to university is enough to have employers fight over you with job offers, when it's not. The key is to acquire work experience and develop skills relevant for the jobs you want to apply for when you graduate during your undergrad years. Postgraduate degrees are also becoming the norm for many fields too and may be required, at least in Canada.