Sign in to follow this  
Cadale

Not Yet Kenyan

Wadani   

Apophis;986624 wrote:
The irony makes me laugh. This coming from someone who lives with the white man, holds his passport proudly; the very same white man who did much worse to Somali people, and still does.

Plus remember, it was your uncle who sold out the NFD movement to the Kenyan government, leaving the people to be brutally quelled by Kenyatta.

Look in the mirror and say "uff", because it's you who rightly deserves it.

Ur mixing apples with oranges with the white man comparison. When has Canada commited state sactioned atrocities against Somalis on a large scale? And if ur refering to British occupation, u know full the Brits had a light handed Colonial approach and left the wild nomadic clans to their own devices for the most part. As for Ciqaal, I cannot bear the burden for his political misteps on account of sharing the same clan, nor will I overlook look them either for the same reason.

It's not their subjugation by a stronger power that I fault my brothers in NFD, it's their unabashed display of stockholm syndrome and pining for acceptance by their 'benevolent' Kikuyu 'masters'.

Wadani   

Xaaji Xunjuf;986631 wrote:
These people have no one that supports them the reason they were butchered was because they wanted to break away now that they dropped their secession aspirations and integrated into Kenyan society the persecution was minimized even though shabab continues to be a threat and Some Somalis are blamed for what shabaab does. The Kenyan Somalis situation was very difficult in the 60s the Somali republic was a regional player and the Kenyans feared Somalis . Now that the former Somali republic had dropped claiming parts of Kenya parts of Ethiopia and that Somalia and Somaliland went their separate ways. The Kenyan Somalis integrated into the Kenyan Society there is no other option why should they fight to free themselves from Kenya for what to be Killed and harassed they need peace.

If indeed their claims of being Kenyan are nothing more than pragmatic political subterfuge to ward off further massacres from the Kikuyu more power to them, because unfortunately you're right about them not having anyone in their corner. But if they really feel a connection with the same state that has relegated them to a subhuman existence then everything I wrote above applies to them.

I will choose to believe that it's as u say it is Xaaji, because I like to believe in the resiliency of Somali pride and identity. To my NFD brothers and sisters I wish u guul iyo gobanimo, and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Khayr   

I don't get the mentatilty of people who are oppressed in another land and still call themselves as equals to their oppressors.

You are not Kenyan and will never be. You are a Somali that has for generations lived in Kenya.

This goes for any Somali that has lived in Ethiopia for generations or in the States.

This Stockholm syndrome must stop!

That documentary was emotional.

I felt like the former minister and the faat aszz policeman were real goons.

Khayr;986649 wrote:
I don't get the mentatilty of people who are oppressed in another land and still call themselves as equals to their oppressors.

You are not Kenyan and will never be. You are a Somali that has for generations lived in Kenya.

This goes for any Somali that has lived in Ethiopia for generations or in the States.

I think part of the problem is an identity crisis. Some people think that having a passport of particular nation will make them members of that nation. Such people are naive. Identity is a complex issue. As you, khayr, noted in another thread Somalis will be victims until they realize what side they are on. In other words, we have to determine our identity. We have been bestowed with the best of identities, that of the believers. Everything else is secondary. As such, I am hurt by the NFD reality on three levels. First, as fellow believers under the occupation of gaalo. Second, the pain the compounded by the fact that they look like me, talk like me, and dress like me. Third, that the oppression is occurring on a place where I have been and, IA, will be in the near future.

Until we realize that our identity is intricately tied to our religion, culture, language, geographical origin and, to some degree, the identity claimed by those who look like us, we shall remain fiddling with our reality.

Apophis;986393 wrote:
Certainly not. There's no evidence you can present here which would show: all thought lead to words,action,habits and finally into character, as you imply in that sentence.

The way I see it, you (and others) are really finding the word problematic because of your "qurbo-joogness", where you've been taught, directly and indirectly, to act and think in a politically correct manner. The Horn, fortunately, does not suffer from that nonsense.

It is not the source of the medicine that matters. Rather, its ability to cure.

Sheikh Muhammad Abduh, a great Muslim scholar of the 19th century, once said: "I went to the West and saw Islam, but no Muslims; I gets back to the East and saw Muslims, but not Islam."

He meant that Muslim had the aqiidah but we were and continue to lack the adhaab (manners) of Al-Islam. Western folk may lack the aqiidah but their human to human interactions will leave little doubt that they have the adhaab.

We must strive for both.

Haatu   

Wadani;986621 wrote:
Illeen Soomaalidu waa dadka caabiidnimada ugu nugul. Kenya waxa ay u gaysatay dadkeena waa uur ku taalo aan la ilaabin karin oo runtii tiiraanyo iyo murugoba igu reebtay. Balse waxa taa igaga daran dadkan dilka,boobka, jidh-dilka iyo kufsiga loo gaystay iyaga iyo dumarkoodaba haddana Kenyaanimo ku ooyaya. Halka ay aar goosasho iyo gobanimo ka fikiri lahaayeen ayay geedka gunnimada hoostii hadhsadeen. Uff!! Wallee inaydaan u qalmin maal iyo naf midna in la idiin huro.

You clearly don't understand. Kenya was an entity created by the British in 1963. Our land in the NEP is included in that entity. We affirm that this is our land and that makes us part of that entity, Kenyans if you like. As the brother said, Kenyans by geography.

Haatu   

Khayr;986649 wrote:

You guys are mixing a lot of things. Our land is in Kenya and that makes us Kenyan citizens. We might not like it but it's a reality today. So, when Mohamed asks the question "are you Kenyan", he's really asking "do you see yourself as a Kenyan citizen" which goes without saying. Our identity on the other hand is obviously Somali.

As for you guys saying we ought to fight, ask yourselves "what good will it bring"?

Baashi   

Awoowe disenfrenchisement of Somalis in Kenya is real. I have seen it with my own eyes. My fellow Somali-Kenyan's have been disenfrenchised.

The territories Somalis populate are under quasi-marshal law if not under full blown Marshal law. The Somali-Kenyans' movement within Kenya is restricted. The state does not invest in the territories Somalis reside as it does with other districts. They are deprived of the right to have access to basic healthcare and education that's at par with other provincial districs such as Nakuru. The NFD infrastructure is 20 to 30 years behind compared to other parts of the state.

The grievances against the state is real.

Do not wage violent resistance against the state but do demand equal treatment under the law. Demand access to the basic healthcare and education.

Haatu   

Baashi;986702 wrote:
Awoowe disenfrenchisement of Somalis in Kenya is real. I have seen it with my own eyes. My fellow Somali-Kenyan's have been disenfrenchised.

The territories Somalis populate are under quasi-marshal law if not under full blown Marshal law. The Somali-Kenyans' movement within Kenya is restricted. The state does not invest in the territories Somalis reside as it does with other districts. They are deprived of the right to have access to basic healthcare and education that's at par with other provincial districs such as Nakuru. The NFD infrastructure is 20 to 30 years behind compared to other parts of the state.

The grievances against the state is real.

Do not wage violent resistance against the state but do demand equal treatment under the law. Demand access to the basic healthcare and education.

And what do you guys think we're doing? Ma dad dareen la' baad na moodeen? Of course we demand equitable treatment and basic services, day and night.

Somalis in Kenya are no less Kenyans than other tribes of Kenya whom originated from other parts of Africa. Whether they are the Kikuyas from the west and Luo/Jalua from central Sudan. They are entitled to be Kenyans and claim their share of the pie as they have a stake(land and resource) in what's today the modern nation of Kenya.

That said, have the Somalis in Kenya went through a tough time under the repressive dictatorial regimes of the past, the answer is simply yes. So, rather being so emotional about a documentary of incidents that has taken place 30 or so odd years ago, I think we ought to be asking if the Kenya's policy toward NFD has changed or if it is as it were 20 or 30 years ago? Have the lives of ordinary Somalis in the region improved? How do Somali politicians at local level as well as in the central deal with issue relating to their constituency? In my opinion Somalis in Kenya are better off today than they were in those days. They are more educated, more prosperous economically, and held powerful positions in all political spectrum, opposition or otherwise. In addition, the Somalis from Somalia even feel safe in Kenya than in some part of Somalia.

Marka reerka nabada ku jooga yaan gadaal la gelin'e ee aan runta aan isku sheegno oo baroorta beenta iska dayno. Truth is that our dictator killed, maimed, raped, displaced more Somalis in Somalia than the Kenyan ponies could have ever whinnied.

Baashi   

Kudos to you then. Don't be defensive awoowe. I have lived Kenya in 8 months in 1991 and I have to say I have not seen bold Somalis demanding equal treatment under the law. I once ventured out to refugee camps in 2004 and I was taken aback by what I saw. We were stopped by Somali-Kenyan in full military fatigue and they wouldn't let us go if it were not the commanding officer who happened to be ethnic Kenyan. We were legit and had all the papers but the Somalis at the bridge crossing were insisting on that we're illegals.

There are social and economic disparities in NFD that's visible to the naked eye and you are pretty defensive when folks point that simple facts. Don't be.

Haatu   

You're mixing things now awoowe. Of course our region is the least developed, no one denies that. What I'm denying is the notion that we're not demanding our rights. Kenya today is a changed place and the Somalis are making strides. This is why Mandera County received the biggest county budget I believe. From now on we will only blame ourselves for our underdevelopment as the central government is at last giving the area decent money.

Tallaabo   

Apophis;986700 wrote:
Plus it's easier to bet with someone else's money (life) than one's own.

PS: you'll notice the “fight, fight, fight" crew are not volunteering to fight or even remotely help where Somalis are actually fighting (Somali Galbed). If anything, they're against those fighting there.

True

Tallaabo   

Haatu;986696 wrote:
You guys are mixing a lot of things. Our land is in Kenya and that makes us Kenyan citizens. We might not like it but it's a reality today. So, when Mohamed asks the question "are you Kenyan", he's really asking "do you see yourself as a Kenyan citizen" which goes without saying. Our identity on the other hand is obviously Somali.

As for you guys saying we ought to fight, ask yourselves "what good will it bring"?

They are mixing ethnic identity with geopolitical location and their ignorance about Kenya's history does not help. Kenya is an amalgamation of tribes from hell put together by the British empire. It should be thought of as the "forced Union of warring tribes". Unfortunately your people found themselves in the middle of this uneasy political construct and so have no choice but to claim their rightful share of the pie.