Sign in to follow this  
Deeq A.

Important announcement regarding somalia online upgrade

Jacpher   

^Seriously. People take online space way too damn serious. I never understood the need of ignore list. People actually have time to harass others in pm? Have them donate the time to me.

Safferz   

Jacpher;987795 wrote:
^Seriously. People take online space way too damn serious. I never understood the need of ignore list. People actually have time to harass others in pm? Have them donate the time to me.

It's not just that, I think you should also have the option of blocking people who make your forum experience unpleasant if you'd prefer to disengage rather than have to deal with them regularly. Right now what SOL does is 'hide' their post (you can click to view what it says), and your posts are still visible to the person on your ignore list. I don't think blocking their PMs is necessarily enough.

But re: harassment, there are a lot of creeps and weirdos on the internet, it definitely happens.

Haatu   

Admin I have a question and a few suggestions. Your timely reply is expected, not requested (:D):

Question 1. What does the green bars under the users name stand for and how do they increase. How is it some nomads who have been here for years, who have a lot of posts, a lot of rep power have less green bars than (without mentioning names) uppity upstarts who started contributing yesterday. Ma beel beel baa lagu baxshaa? :D

Suggestion 1. Can you add a like button if that's not too difficult. I know you can rep a post if you like it but then only the poster will know you liked that post. By adding a like button (and having a tally of likes say under the users location) everyone will know.

Suggestion 2. Can you make the results of polls open yacni show who voted for what option. I.e. Cadale, Alpha voted Yes etc.

I would like to thank you in advance for your swift reply.

Deeq A.   

Nomads, the January 1st deadline still stands. We are making great progress.

Thank you for your patience and suggestions.

Admin;989234 wrote:
Nomads, the January 1st deadline still stands. We are making great progress.

Thank you for your patience and suggestions.

Alpha Blondy;917607 wrote:
marwooyin iyo mudanayaal, mudane guddoomiye ADMIN and MODs, friends and delegates of SOL,

thank you for that kind introduction and the opportunity to be here with you this evening.

let me take this opportunity to formally open a week long discussions dedicated to the various issues pertaining to the affairs of SOL, these days. as i'm sure you'd all appreciate, SOL is an invaluable source of information, an ideas hubs and a space, if you will, which is still of useful relevance, and even more particularly in this global age of the internet. SOL has done an excellent job over the last decade in maintaining a quality website dedicated to providing a space for discussions, not least in being a site, that is often referenced as a source of information, but also perhaps more importantly, as a place that continually strives to be, a hub for information sharing, interesting views and diverse opinions, which has being informed by the regular SOLers, whose dedication and passion for presenting their views has been crucial in informing the debate.

the internet has no doubt enhanced free speech by dramatically improving the speed and efficiency with which we can exchange ideas and make our voices heard. the Internet has transformed the delivery of speech in a manner as revolutionary as the printing press. a free and open Internet enables ideas and expression to move seamlessly throughout the world without governments prioritising some views over others. furthermore, it enables a dynamic debate of issues and perspectives that not only empowers the forumer, but benefits our society, so that we can weigh competing viewpoints. this allows the most persuasive arguments and ideas to win on their merits.

SOL has been a beacon for information and our site is rightly held up as a model for other Somali sites. we have long recognised however, that merely posting on this site is the absolute least that any individual SOLer can do. not fully utilising our knowledge, whether online or in the physical world, is a great missed opportunity and a great disincentive to our collective will. today, there are too many Somali sites, that still fall below the standards expected of 2013 and SOL is not alone in still restricting free speech on the Internet. in SOL, we must be free to express ourselves on the Internet, so as to ensure that SOLers, have the access in expressing alternative views and perspectives, however crude and that the browsing public has the opportunity to make informed decisions based on the ideas being deliberated.

Shirweynihii 1aad ee SOL is an important opportunity for us all to remember that we must remain vigilant against efforts to curb free speech and to restrict the SOLers in their ability to express their views. today, Somali internet users are a valuable source of knowledge and information that can be harnessed for the betterment of our people. i'm sure, you'll agree, when Alpha say that SOLers have a crucial role to play in the efforts to restore hope and some semblance of normality for our long suffering people. Alpha, too, has taken important steps to spread his reach to many SOLers in recent years. and indeed he now counts many SOLers, not only as friends but potential colleagues, with which to work with for the betterment of the general welfare of Somalis. to some, he represents the last vanguard against online tyranny but to most he's just a ''troll terrorist'', whose trolling has be recognised for its opportunistic nature. be that as it may, Alpha's chequered history on SOL, having being banned several times for breaching the crucial and forever shifting Golden Rules is indeed testament to his efforts to safeguard the sacred values of free speech. Alpha firmly believes more could be done to protect the rights of users on SOL in expressing themselves, but with the caveat that there should always be more freedoms available for all to consider and consume.

TBC. - the other key issues, particularly on the long terms sustainability of SOL will be discussed tomorrow. thanks.

Al.

take heed for once adiguna, abti.

Maqane   

Here 're some suggestions concerning the upgrade;

Important

- Disable friendly redirection pages [reason: annoying]

- Disable topic title change [reason: majority don't change their thread title and most of the Nomads think before they post, another reason is, a user may misuse the option by constantly changing the topic title to annoy others as such incident already happened before]

- Not all Nomads (guests/members) speak or understand the English language so consider adding the Somali language pack {even though it's not available at the moment, you could start localization project so we or other Somali Nomad speakers can contribute to it } and setting it as the default would be great but because of the site being "Somaliaonline" it won't be a good combination but by adding language select option to the top/visible place and add it to the members profile so that other nomads can select their default/preferred language if needed.

Optional

- Replace the rep (star icon) with thumps up/like and change 'Rep Power' to likes.

- Update the default "FAQ" list and make it more realistic. i.e, list only the most asked questions on Sol, other VIQ's and keep it short

- Add 'Show latest started threads to 'memberaction_dropdown ' so you don't need to visit the user's profile to perform that action.

That's all for now, I may PM you other personal suggestions concerning the site/community.

Wish you all the best in upgrading the script and thanks for making teh mobile version available.

Safferz   

Another suggestion -- allow us to upload our own avatars! Never understood why we can upload a "profile pic" yet we're limited to the website's avatars when we're on the forum.

Tallaabo   

Safferz;990776 wrote:
Another suggestion -- allow us to upload our own avatars! Never understood why we can upload a "profile pic" yet we're limited to the website's avatars when we're on the forum.

+1