Sign in to follow this  
Miyir

central bank governor resignations letter

There are two acceptable response this controversy: Where are regret what we did and here is how we are gonna change or we did no such thing and here is why. Silence is not an option and i hope people are not distracted by cooked up "khilaaf" between president and the PM.

Can we have an honest discussion regarding the recovery of frozen assets delegated to Schulman & Rogers? Many of you in your quraba-joog lands may have bought the propagandized image of a 'peaceful' and 'functional' Somalia. Some of you may have succumbed to the white man's smile and believe all of this "pledged" money, $2.4 billion to be exact, will actually reach Somalia? Some of you may be enslaved my ideals and principles, and that is commendable, but that does not pay the bills. The fact of the matter Government lacks funds. With what is expected and with what is had, it is almost laughable, if it wasn't sad. With this, the government is unsustainable, incapable, weak, and much more. I know people in xamar who have worked for the government for years without getting a salary, ten years for one guy in particular.

There are untouched assets sitting abroad in the west. Funds that belong to Somalia. Funds that are not considered 'humanitarian aid'. And funds that are made reachable with a third party law firm. Yes there is a hefty finder's fee. This is not unique to Somalia. This is the business. what is x% of 0? These funds were previously inaccessible. Yes some of these funds may go unaccounted for. To think corruption doesn't exist in Somalia or that corruption will magically disappear in the next few years is naive. The government must continue to operate despite such setbacks. Are we to put a hiatus on the government until corruption subsides? Does the sick wait to ingest medicine until he has healed?

STOIC   

This is a major corruption case and I can see from some response that there is diverging views on the significance of this resignation, but the short of it is that this is bad for Somalia and bad for the current government. It doesn't matter if you are from Mogadishu or Hargeysa one shouldn't endorse the wrinkles of the way things are done in a corrupt country like Somalia..I guess the international community and the rest of the Somali community should still funnel their resources to this corrupt and inept government because it is the " Somali way" to not form the rules of developed and structured credit structure.

Why would anyone undercut those who are bent on transparency? If anything she should have drawn support form the man at the top.I was expecting to see ripples from her departure, from firing those who threaten her life to those who were trying to do shady stuff.I guess it is the "Somali Way" and they will have another chance with the next Governor.How will Somalia build institutions if it can not clean up its financial corruption at the top? Instead of bringing up the commonplace internal battles of President-Prime Minister, the man at the top should have spent his energy in building up a ground-up clean government. This is not limited to this current Scandal.The cries in the street and the office of the President should be uniformly denouncing corruption.I can't see how a government will be happy to escape criticism of their own failures-rampant corruption.But too bad it is the "Somali Way"

SomaliPhilosopher;985789 wrote:
Though I wished she stayed, I would agree in saying she doesn't "understand the Somali way." Yes the Central Bank of Somalia Act does give the bank autonomy and it should do so in practice. But of course these 'articles' and 'clauses' for all practical purposes don't really matter. We are a country that are just transitioning from over twenty years of lawlessness, at least of formal law. What did Yussur expect? For these dusty acts and bills to be taken off the shelf and the government to act in full accordance? For the President to attend to all her inquiries with only four weeks on the job, with most of her time spent abroad? These things take time. Yussur should have understood that and work accordingly instead of provoking a full out scandal because of the potential 'opening' of doors of corruption. Yussur will be received as a hero. A strong figure who stood her ground and held strong to her 'personal values'. Though with all idealism aside, this is not a testament of strength, but rather one of weakness. Somalia does not need 'personal values'. It needs patience. It needs flexibility. It needs calm . It needs understanding. These are not values of an individual but rather one of a nation.

I've never seen such convoluted logic. Refuse corruption (even small ones) ---> weakness. Overlook pity corruption for hope of change in the future ----> Strength. if you compromise your integrity for pittance then you'll sell all you hold dear for a bigger payout.

YoniZ   

We should commend the Honorable Lady that, she has empowered the next person to take that position/similar positions.

This can rightly set a golden precedent for the future Nomad technocrats by not going with the business as usual mentality and, stay away from the toxic flood characterized as the 'Somali Way'.

ElPunto   

Excellent woman. We need people to come out publicly and expose theft on a grand scale at the highest levels. The other side of the equation is to hold the thieves in government accountable. Sadly that POS Jawaari and the rinky dink parliament won't do anything of the sort. It is their job as 'representatives' of the people.

Oodweyne;985803 wrote:
Pity, really, for it could of been a better reality for Somalia, if only he and his “cronies” have reflected the "enormous chance” they have had to put their wretched country into a decent path the day they assumed office, instead of thinking that a public office is the best route to loot what remains of Somalia’s dwindling public fund.

This the part that gets to me, to handed such an opportunity and decide that and your friends pockets matter more then the fate of a nation.

Jacpher   

As she put in, it is a great loss for the people. Seems Hassan gave more attention to the crooks in his admin than to the need of the people.

uchi   

I guess Farole was right all along. It seems he was the only voicing this nonsense called "The Somali Way".

Haddeeba Afsoomaali ku qori karin waraaqdeeda ay isku casileyso ama jagada kaga tageyso -- awalba jagadaas ma u qalmin. Afsoomaali sida loo aqriyo iyo sida loo qoro hasoo barato marka koowaad.

Dad madax Soomaaliyeed sheeganaayo haddana afaf shisheeye iskugu gudbinaayo xiriirkooda. Anshax xumaa oo maamus daranaa.

YoniZ   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;985998 wrote:
Haddeeba Afsoomaali ku qori karin waraaqdeeda ay isku casileyso ama jagada kaga tageyso -- awalba jagadaas ma u qalmin. Afsoomaali sida loo aqriyo iyo sida loo qoro hasoo barato marka koowaad.

Dad madax Soomaaliyeed sheeganaayo haddana afaf shisheeye iskugu gudbinaayo xiriirkooda. Anshax xumaa oo maamus daranaa.

MMA, you forgot to mention this letter is addressed to the entities that pay the wages of both Hassan & Yussur.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;985998 wrote:

English is the universal language maxa ku jaban haday af ingriis ku qorto ma waxad is leedahay dawlada Xamar af inglishta ma yaqanaan.