Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Today I Learned (TIL)

Safferz   

A la Reddit: Post interesting and specific facts that you just found out (no general info others would know, personal opinions or recent events/news), be descriptive and link us to a source if we're interested in reading more.

TIL that Mount Everest has over 200 perfectly preserved dead bodies that are visible to climbers on the way up to the summit and act as landmarks on the way up. "Green Boots" is one of the best known, apparently.

Safferz   

Jacpher;985720 wrote:
0910, 11-12-13

Heh, I didn't understand what you meant for a moment but I realize now it's the time and date. 11-12-13, interesting :)

Safferz   
TIL that due to the way light travels and reaches us, the stars are actually images of the past and if you are 50 lightyears away from Earth, what you see is Earth from 50 years ago. You see it, but you can't travel there because we travel slower than light. And if you go far enough (from the perspective of other planets, solar systems, etc), you can see the pyramids still being constructed, dinosaurs roaming the Earth, etc. *mind explodes*

Khayr   

Safferz;985736 wrote:
TIL
that due to the way light travels and reaches us,
and if you are 50 lightyears away from Earth, what you see is Earth from 50 years ago. You see it, but you can't travel there because we travel slower than light. And if you go far enough (from the perspective of other planets, solar systems, etc), you can see the pyramids still being constructed, dinosaurs roaming the Earth, etc. *mind explodes*

Have you been chewing chaad lately or smoking a spliff for medicinal proposes (but ofcourse!).

They say writers write their best work when under the influence.

That was some serious knowledge thou. Whoa! :)

Safferz   

Will check it out. I love learning about astronomy and astrophysics, I enjoy programs with Neil DeGrasse Tyson especially. It's amazing how insignificant and small we are in the universe.

Khayr, not at all lol - my sister is taking astronomy right now and told me this fact. I knew that stars are images from the past, but I had never thought to consider things from the vantage point of other planets and stars, looking back at us.