Sign in to follow this  
Maqane

Tribalism in Africa

Maqane   

Many African countries experience violence and intimidation fuelled by tribalism. But Tanzania seems to be an exception. Despite having more than 100 ethnic groups and bordering eight countries, it has succeeded in overcoming tribal tensions in a region where some neighbours have failed to do so. The BBC's Tulanana Bohela reports from Dar Es Salaam.

Maqane   

One of Africa's famous scholars Calestous Juma has claimed that tribalism is damaging the march to democracy across Africa.

In a recent article the Harvard University professor wrote of his fears that such tensions worsen at election time, for example in his native Kenya, because African political parties appeal to their electorate on the basis of tribe rather than by the appeal of their ideas.

Maqane   

You're welcome Safferz,

Abbaas was too complicated to be remembered even sol nomads misspell it sometimes so I've requested the Admin to kindly change it to 'Maqane'. Back home, people used it (as a nickname) to call me, it means 'The Absent' so i thought it was a good idea to use it instead.

After so many disputes i've finally received the reply/quote below from the admin;

Tell everyone of your
tribe
that you've changed it so as to not disrupt continuity. We don't normally let anyone change usernames.

And my reply was;

My tribe will never forget me no matter what and they will
notice the change
and i don't think it's a big deal

Now that you've noticed the change, it means that i was right. I'm proud of you saff ;)

Tallaabo   

Maqane;985362 wrote:
^ Well, i mean literally dee, wax fahan.. where does it say it's too long? :mad:

You edited it after I counted the letters for you:D

Maqane   

Tallaabo;985364 wrote:
You edited it after I counted the letters for you:D

I edited for you to get it right dee, see the edit reason :mad:

Watch from 19:00 ---->> https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9LP3RRNZEUc#t=1162

Aliya was found herself compelled to improve the lives of Mogadishu's many internally displaced children. Offering schooling to just 80 children is disheartening for Aliya, however without government accreditation for her NGO, the school will not be allowed to open at all.

Aliya belongs to one of the most influential clans in Mogadishu and using her name to get what she needs is a contentious issue.

Today many people associate clanism with the discrimination, suffering and violence that was part of Somalia's long civil war.

Tallaabo   

Maqane;985365 wrote:
I edited for you to get it right dee, see the edit reason :mad:

Watch from
19:00
---->>

Aliya was found herself compelled to improve the lives of Mogadishu's many internally displaced children. Offering schooling to just 80 children is disheartening for Aliya, however without government accreditation for her NGO, the school will not be allowed to open at all.

Aliya belongs to one of the most influential clans in Mogadishu and using her name to get what she needs is a contentious issue.

Today many people associate clanism with the discrimination, suffering and violence that was part of Somalia's long civil war.

Thanks for sharing this video. It is so sad the sisters had to reluctantly resort to using their clan connections just to get a minister's signature. If the SFG is this corrupt and shameless, I fear there is nothing but more trouble for the South. May Allah help the poor and the weak in that human jungle.

Haatu   

Tallaabo;985371 wrote:
Thanks for sharing this video. It is so sad the sisters had to reluctantly resort to using their clan connections just to get a minister's signature. If the SFG is this corrupt and shameless, I fear there is nothing but more trouble for the South. May Allah help the poor and the weak in that human jungle.

Sadly this is the same in all Somali areas, whether Kenya, Djibouti or S/land. It's an evil Somali trait.

Maqane   

You're welcome @Tallaabo, very sad indeed. unfortunately it's happening in every corner whether south,east,west or north.

Raamsade   

^ Should be anti ruinous tribalism. No body cares if you one wants to take pride in how his tribe/clan molests goats. Ruinous tribalism is what unscrupulous politicos use to drive wedge between constituencies and when you couple that with lack of quality education you have easily misled citizens.