Sign in to follow this  
Saalax

Over 500,000 Somali refugees to be sent back to Somalia

Saalax   

Refugees set to be repatriated to Somalia

By Marion Kanari

Over five hundred thousand Somali refugees will be repatriated back into the their country after the United Nation High commission for refugees and the Kenyan and Somali governments signed a tripartite agreement for a voluntary repatriation and reintegration exercise.

Deputy President Willam Ruto who presided over the signing of the agreement called on the Somalia government to expedite the reintegration exercise as a way of rebuilding the horn of Africa nation.

The international community and both Kenya and Somalia have pledged their support for the action plan.

A tripartite commission will also be set up to expedite the reintegration process and find lasting solutions to the refugee problem.

Deputy President William Ruto while pledging the country’s support for a voluntary repatriation exercise called on the refugees to use skills and capital gained to contribute in rebuilding their nation.

The country has been a major host of mainly Somalia refugees in the horn of Africa a situation that has led to a humanitarian crisis and challenges of terrorism, banditry and organized crime.

Kakuma and Daadab refugee camps presently host over a million documented and undocumented refugees half of whom are Somalia refugees.

In the wake of the Westgate terrorist attack, members of parliament increased calls for the closure of the refugee camps as terrorists were said to be using the camps as training grounds.

UNHCR representative to Kenya Rauof Mazou and Somalia foreign affairs minister Yusuf Adam have also pledged their support for the repatriation roadmap

http://www.kbc.co.ke/refugees-set-to-be-repatriated-to-somalia/

nuune   

These 500,000 Somalis are in their land, nothing to deport back, they are living in their own land as IDP.

Ps: In their own land as in NFD, the camps where the refugees live are Somali Lands, like Somaliland, Djibouti, Soimali Galbeed, these are lands that belong to Somalis.

nuune   

^^ Exactly,. every Kenyan knows this land belongs to Somalis, but our own Somalis don't want to refer this land as Somalis, I have never seen a Kenyan origin saying this NFD land belongs to Kenyan, they always watatu wa Somali ayaa iska leh oo dega.

nuune;985253 wrote:
These 500,000 Somalis are in their land, nothing to deport back, they are living in their own land as IDP.

Ps: In their own land as in NFD, the camps where the refugees live are Somali Lands, like Somaliland, Djibouti, Soimali Galbeed, these are lands that belong to Somalis.

NFD is kenyan land belongs to the ethnic Somalis, but the Kenyan government makes a clear distinction between Somalia refugees and Kenyan Somali indigenous people to Kenyas north eastern province, they are not internally displaced according to the Kenyan government.

Haatu   

Apophis;985287 wrote:
PS: should the refugees be sent back, I think without proper relocation along clan lines there will be huge conflicts in the future. This is something I've not heard being considered. The current plan appears to be a generic resettlement with no consideration of the above.

This will be a major flashpoint. People should be resettled in their villages to overcome this.

I totally concur it is time for them to go back their homeland and claim their stolen homes ,time to return. they have stayed too long and it is time to tell culusow get out of their way.

nuune   

Xaaji Xunjuf;985304 wrote:
Imagine if every Somali can settle where he or she wants regardless of what region , how easy that would've been.

It starts with you, if you can accept that, then everyone can roam freely wherever they want regardless of what region, balse intaad sheegato Afro Hashimitte iyo East Timor iyo waxyaala kaloon la maqal ood dhahdo yaan la ii soo dhawaanin waan idin ka fadli badnahayee ha i taabanina Qaanfuurianskiina, wacdi anaga ha noo akhrin yaa Xaaji Xeyraan aadan ku dhaqmeyn.

Safferz   

Is this not in violation of international human rights law? Were Somali refugees in Kenya consulted before drafting the agreement? What does "voluntary repatriation" even mean, and how will it be implemented? I'm interested to know what resettlement and reintegration plan will be in place to prevent the refugees in Kenya from becoming internally displaced people... I'm not sure whether the conditions in Somalia can even accommodate large scale returns.

Xaaji Xunjuf;985304 wrote:
Imagine if every Somali can settle where he or she wants regardless of what region , how easy that would've been.

nuune;985320 wrote:
It starts with you, if you can accept that, then everyone can roam freely wherever they want regardless of what region, balse intaad sheegato Afro Hashimitte iyo East Timor iyo waxyaala kaloon la maqal ood dhahdo yaan la ii soo dhawaanin waan idin ka fadli badnahayee ha i taabanina Qaanfuurianskiina, wacdi anaga ha noo akhrin yaa
Xaaji Xeyraan
aadan ku dhaqmeyn.

Xaaji Xunjuf hypocritically makes a statemet. An answer was given to by nuune. Let's wait for Xaaji Xunjuf's reply. :D

Saalax   

Well since Somalia claims it is improving in security and more "liberated" areas, it should be able to

take back its own refugees. I heard Somalian refugees in Yemen are also to be sent back.