Sign in to follow this  
STOIC

Still searching for a Somali friend after 30 years

STOIC   

By Larry Wilsonhttp://www.dailynews.com/opinion/20131104/still-searching-for-a-somali-friend-after-30-years-larry-wilson

When, just out of college in the late 1970s and early 1980s, I worked as a technical editor at a massive construction project in Saudi Arabia, I didn’t make all that many Saudi friends.

British friends, Indian friends, Kenyan friends, yes. But the Saudis in our offices were often such princelings that they put in just a couple of hours during the middle of the day. Or they were older and very high up and there would be no reason to get to know a 23-year-old Yank.

Saeed was different. A year or two younger than me, he had been to college in the United States. He spoke fluent English. He was shy but friendly. Very observant, so that he stuck to Pepsi when he came to the young guys’ gatherings that — don’t be too shocked, now — involved bathtub hooch in a country in which alcohol is (supposedly) strictly forbidden.

While Saeed was a Saudi citizen, he was also clearly of African descent. I asked him about his name — Saeed Omer al-Somali. “Well, really, Larry, my name is Saeed Omer, plain and simple,” he said. “But when you are black like me, and are born here, they tag the country you came from onto your name on your passport.”

It would be as if we called someone, well, Juan Reyes the Guatemalan just because of where his parents are from — called them that officially, on a passport.

Actually, I was amazed at how multi-cultural and essentially non-racist Saudi society was. Muslim Africans were everywhere, some fairly high up in the social and business heirarchies. Saeed didn’t complain of discrimination.

He came from the merchant class, his father a sheep trader whose boats came around the Horn of Africa and up into the port of Jeddah laden with livestock. That’s how Saeed had been born in the Western Province where we lived and worked.

After my tour of duty was over, Saeed came back to Parsons’ Pasadena office and worked for a time. He brought his bride-to-be, the lovely Amal, and they were married in a house on Woodbury Road in Altadena. I introduced him to my parents. When I went off to graduate school in international management, I wrote my thesis based on an imaginary import-export business Saeed and I would set up, and he helped me with some of the Saudi legal rigamarole.

That was 30 years ago, and at some point in the mid-’80s we lost touch. Years later, I tried to contact him by going through folks in Parsons’ HR department. They said they had no record of a Saeed Omer al-Somali as an employee. None. Hmmm.

Thursday night, when I caught the current flick “Captain Phillips,” I was startled into memories of Saeed at the first sight of the young Somali-American actor who plays the lead pirate in the flick. They bear a marked resemblance — though the actor is much scrawnier. We were very well-fed in the company cafeteria in Yanbu.

At home last night, I did another internet search for Saeed. Nothing. Well, there are people with similar names out there, but not the right person.

As I was leaving Yanbu, my Yemeni friend Saleh gave me a hug and said: “Larry, my brother, Saleh is not my real name, I must tell you, after all this time. I came across the border illegally. I can’t tell you my real name. Goodbye.”

Perhaps Saeed Omer wasn’t my other friend’s real name, either. Who knows? But I miss you, Saeed. Whenever I hear of Somalia, and all the strife in your ancestral homeland, I think of you, and of Amal, and I hope you are keeping well.

Larry Wilson is a member of the editorial board of the Los Angeles News Group. larry.wilson@langnews.com.

Baashi   

Very nice of him to keep Saed in his thoughts. Larry overlooked one important social background about Saed. Had Larry known what subclan Saed belonged to, we could have helped him find his old friend :) Now Larry think hard lil bit and see if you could remember where in Somalia Saed called his hometown and which sub-sub-clan he hailed from. This detail is extremely important in tribal society.

With that said, I am gonna do my share and go through all the Saed and Amal coubles I or my friends know of.

Hawdian   

i can see that Said Omar - al somali is a Saudi Citizen . Maybe you can find him by looking for him in Saudia Arabia or put this article in a Saudi newspaper. Larry Good luck finding your friend.

Safferz   

Hawdian;984776 wrote:
i can see that Said Omar - al somali is a Saudi Citizen . Maybe you can find him by looking for him in Saudia Arabia or put this article in a Saudi newspaper. Larry Good luck finding your friend.

The problem is the name on paper, even with Somali citizens of Saudi Arabia, are often fake as well and often those papers were passed to them by someone else. My relatives in SA are all citizens this way, initially getting citizenship through other Somalis claiming them as siblings when they weren't even related, so their legal names are different from their real ones. I forwarded this article to my mom, hopefully she knows something or can inquire next time she talks to her brother in SA.

STOIC   

I hope he finds him. He has good things to say about his friend.The name thing can be confusing. Somalis have Sharci name and real name. Case example; Yours truly.It was hard to explain to my college friends why my wedding invites had a different name. facepalm! Such is the world of a Nomad

STOIC;984789 wrote:
I hope he finds him. He has good things to say about his friend.The name thing can be confusing. Somalis have Sharci name and real name. Case example; Yours truly.It was hard to explain to my college friends why my wedding invites had a different name. facepalm! Such is the world of a Nomad

caajib.

when will you stop being an apologist?

Haatu   

STOIC;984789 wrote:

Tell me about it. The doctors have one name, the passport another and at home the real one :D

Rahima   

STOIC;984789 wrote:

Or like me, why my father, mother and I all have different surnames. The cadaan folks never got it.

According to the article, it say's Saeed Omer moved to Altadena (Los Angeles) and was married there. Start by going to ur local county court clerk and search all the marriage license that were issues for that period. If you remember where they exactly lived, go to that location and ask some of the old time neighbors about what happened or where they moved to. If that doesn't work, go to your local library, read some of the OLD local newspapers from that time. If they were married, they'd probably be listed at the registry or you just might read something that pertains to 'em (died in a car accident/homicide, etc). Just have to put lil more effort into it.