Sign in to follow this  
Oodweyne

Dahabshil wins the day against Barclays Bank.

Ibtisam   

Wonder why this is in the Politics section? :confused:

Glad they recovered the legal costs too- Good news for all Hawals who get to keep their accounts open for at least another year while this goes to full trail.

What's alternative if they do shutdown them and would that be such bad thing for all Somalis? While some people do really need help, a lot of our people can do without the money from diaspora. It kills motivation, a nation of idle hands.

Khayr   

It is like the Welfare system. One group of welfare receipts in one country giving welfare money to welfare group.

The people are poor and your $100 dollars could feed a family on the bring of starvation.

None of my family are on the brink of starvation, yet many expect to be paid. I get a call from a kid saying he wants to build a house. Nicca please, the very poor does not have relatives abroad. Maybe something could have been done to help them.

Ibtisam   

Che- although I get what you are saying- it will just mean that hardworking folks in the west will have to use Western Union which charges higher fees- we will be like the Caribbeans being extorted. Sending money wont stop- other means, illegal and costly will emerge.

There is also the issue of business and Developmental aid which due to lack of banking system is transferred using the Remittance companies- we could try like the Turks to fly in with suitcases of money but it is only matter of time before we and others like Kenyans start to pirate that (the Turks never got their 40thousand suitcase back from the Kenyans)

Worse still, even for holiday folks, you can't travel with more than £10,000- how are you gonna travel home, move, build or do business with such limits.

Since moving here, I frequently move money back and forwards between my UK account and my Dahabshiil account to meet commitments on either side- without Remittance companies this would be impossible- and if I had to costly.

Of course- for those who dont need the money you can always tell them Noooooooooooooooo, instead of blaming the remittance companies.

P;s.s. I recently found out that World-remit allows you to transfer money from your UK account into my Somaliland telephone number (Zaad). Effortless efficiency I wont want to lose.

Gabbal   

Bar none, what was said in this topic by Che is one of the most callous statements I have ever read in this forum.