Sign in to follow this  
guleed_ali

UPDATE Central Bank: The President's Chief of Staff implicated in an embezzlement scandal

I can't wrap my mind around the mentality of this this is Africa and this is normal. You know what, even if you have the sick idea that this ok, that the very little aide of a country straggling to stand on his feet should end up in the pockets of a few people, keep to yourselfs wtf

This is different in many levels. It shows a level of incompetence (even in theft) that is unheard of.

Oodweyne is onto something: I would not be surprised if Alshabaan pulls off another spectacular terror in Mogadishu in near future.

anywhere else in the world, a scandal this big would elicit endless interrogation of public officials by journalist everywhere these officials. Yet we nothing from the government yet.

STOIC   

NN, this scandal piqued my interest in Mogadishu politics.Looks like giving the right answer is tougher for the govt. Seems like the gov't is just hoping with time this current wound would be tolerable to Somali people.You might think wounds which are as raw as this scandal will shudder them , but seems like this got nothing on them. What they forget is that failure isn't fatal, but failure to curb corruption might be the downfall of Somalia. I was listening to a hypocritical window dressing interview given by the PM to some Somali channel and I chuckle when he said they have been fighting for good governance since they took office. I guess in Somalia contradictions abound. You might think not only as a moral obligation, but as an imperative for enduring trust in their institutional building they will at least fire someone for this scandal, but no all is gravy in Mogadishu. The president doesn't realize much rides on the outcome of how he reacts to this scandal after all the money is coming from outside world and they may put future restrictions on them. Most of those people named can unhook themselves from this scandal by keeping quite, but ultimately it is the president responsibility to act on his values and call out on thievery! You don't have to be superbright to see where your government needs improvement. The proximate cause of this scandal is not difficult to locate. He just needs to look harder

Guleed_ali Sheekadu haday tahay you get shot if you ask a difficult question, xaaladu is worse then i thought.

Stoic, your right. The silence of the President and the denial of the PM knowing full well he didn't even bother to investigate the allegation, should ring alarm bells for anyone who has a stake in the reemergence of the Somali State. This has been a slowly developing scandal. those united nation accusations of the central bank being a slash funds for Somali officials where one thing, here you have a credible person saying the reason she left was craght and curruption. There silence and half denials ought to confirm for in a logical person that this is worse then incompetence and lack of awareness, they are in on this mass looting.

The president and entire Mogadishu political chunks are busy embrassing the face saving arrangement with Jubbaland Admin the Ethiopians devised .

They have no time for corruption story. As soon as Ahmed leaves town , this story will get the attention it deserves.

N.O.R.F   

I think the larger media outlets have let the people down on this. Was this even covered by the TV channels? Any debates take place?