Sign in to follow this  
AfricaOwn

Pedophilia Now Classified as Sexual Orientation

The American Psychiatric Association has changed the classification of pedophilia from a disorder to a sexual orientation or preference in its latest edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-V). (Please see important update at end of article.)

Neon Tommy is reporting that the APA is drawing “a very distinct line between pedophilia and pedophilic disorder.”

For instance, pedophilia is defined in the new edition as referring “to a sexual orientation or profession of sexual preference devoid of consummation, whereas pedophilic disorder is defined as a compulsion and is used in reference to individuals who act on their sexuality,” the report states.

This is not a total surprise as the classification of pedophilia in the DSM has been steadily evolving over the years. The previous edition categorized pedophilia as a disorder only if the fantasies or urges involve children under the age of 13, if they last at least six months, if the individual has acted upon them, or if they cause distress such as legal problems.

Paul Christiano, a registered sex offender and spokesperson for B4U-ACT, a pedophila advocacy group that offers support for “minor-attracted persons”, wants to see the system changed because of its one-size-fits-all approach that treats a man who committed 20 consecutive rapes and a 19-year-old boy who had sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend the same way.

There is some basis for wanting a change, writes Hannah Maluyao for Neon Tommy, but the grounds for this change are “murky” with B4U-ACT.

For example, when questioned about the most responsible way in which a pedophile should manage his sexual desires, Christiano said they encourage their members to keep their preferences as a purely mental exercise that is never acted upon.

“B4U-ACT does not condone illegal activity,” Christiano insisted.

“Yet how can we be assured that such behavior remains entirely in the mind and not carried out in the bedroom?” Maluyao asks. “Answer: we can’t.”

Christiano has also advocated for the “sexual autonomy” of children, saying in his senior thesis as a graduate student, that they “should not be left in the dark about their own sexuality.” More education in sexuality would help them to better understand boundaries.

“However, there is an underlying suggestion that with sexual knowledge comes sexual consent,” Mulayao writes. “If children were permitted to be more sexually autonomous, would they then be able to fully consent to a sexual relationship or more importantly, a sexual relationship with an adult?”

Caitlin Myers, a doctorate student in Sociology at the University of Southern California told Mulayao that while open discussion of sexuality would be good, children still cannot give consent.

“In theory,” Myers says, “pedophilia as a practiced sexual orientation walks a thin line. There is no possibility of pedophilia becoming an accepted sexual orientation in current culture.”

Dr. Gregory Popcak of the Pastoral Solutions Institute, and organization dedicated to helping Catholics find faith-filled solutions to marriage, family, and personal problems, does not believe people should be too concerned about these changes to the DSM. The changes made were more editorial than clinical.

“From what I can tell, the DSM V criteria for Pedophilic Disorder shouldn’t bother anyone,” he writes for Patheos. “I’m, personally, not sure what to make of those who refer to the idea of a pedophilic orientation. If it is just to distinguish between ideation and actions, I think that’s fine. In fact, that would be exactly how the Catholic Church thinks of it. One can have a predisposition to a sin or even a strong temptation to a sin without committing a sin. There is a big difference between thinking about robbing a bank and actually robbing it. Neither is good, but only the latter is actually sinful.”

However, he goes on to warn that “if calling it an orientation is somehow used or co-opted by some social advocacy group to justify pedophilia as ‘just another normal expression of sexual desires’ then that would be seriously problematic. That said, I don’t really think that’s what’s happening–at this time, anyway.”

PLEASE NOTE: This article originally stated that the author of the DSM-5 was the American Psychological Association. This was an error. The DSM-5 is published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA). We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

- See more at: http://www.womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=25249#sthash.vRHKD5CL.dpuf

Safferz   

That's not true, a lot of articles have been incorrectly reporting this and have posted retractions (or removed them entirely, as the link you've shared appears to have been). From what I understand, the DSM only changed the name from "pedophilia" to "pedophilic disorder" for consistency with other paraphilias. Here's the APA's statement.

Classified;984221 wrote:
"Pedophilia now Classified as Sexual Orientation"? Whoa! Hold up! I am NOT a Pedophile nor is my sexual orientation Pedophilia. :confused:

Lol not your forum name but the word itself. You must be joking right :)

nuune   

^^ Back home, we used to call them saqiir suujis, or saqiir juujin, or qasiir tuujin, ama saqiir toosin, ama Laba Shilindi

Safferz   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;984384 wrote:
Who can be labelled as a 'pedophile' in Reer Galbeedka horta?

If 30-year-old man marries a 16-year-old adult girl, he will be called 'pedophile' miyaa?

18+ is a legal adult, 16 is a child. Marriage is a bit of a grey area, but an adult man can marry a 16 year old with her consent as well as that of her parents/legal guardians, though laws vary by state/province/country.

Pedophiles tend to be sexually attracted to prepubescent children (age 12 and under), not teenagers who have hit puberty and physically look more like adults. Depending on the age of consent in a country (it's age 16 in Canada), a 30 year old who has sex with a teenager could be charged with statutory rape and considered a sex offender. In some cases an 18 year old who has sex with his 15-turning 16 year old girlfriend can also be charged with statutory rape, even though they both may be in high school.

So one can be a sex offender (peeing in public can put you on the sex offender list, among other things), without being a pedophile. And not all pedophiles are sex offenders, since not all of them put their thoughts into action. That's what the new DSM is differentiating between I believe (pedophilia vs. pedophilic disorder), not the incorrect article posted above that says the APA considers pedophilia a sexual orientation.

Muslim ayaan ahay, gaal ma'ihi. Toban iyo lix jir, to me, waa adult qaangaartay waliba goosweyn. Why stop at '18' as an adult? Why not 21, as they make it in order to buy qamriga iyo sigaarka in many places.

Qaangaarnimo kuma xirno da' ee waa camal. A 17-year-old wuu ka caqli badnaa karaa a 21-year-old, wuuna ka akhlaaq wanaagsanaan karaa. Same with a 15-year-old ka xishmad iyo edeb wanaagsanaato mid 23 jir ah.

Muslim ayaan ahay, gaal ma'ihi. Toban iyo lix jir, to me, waa adult qaangaartay waliba goosweyn. Why stop at '18' as an adult? Why not 21, as they make it in order to buy qamriga iyo sigaarka in many places.

Qaangaarnimo kuma xirno da' ee waa camal. A 17-year-old wuu ka caqli badnaan karaa a 21-year-old, wuuna ka akhlaaq wanaagsanaan karaa. Same with a 15-year-old ka xishmad iyo edeb wanaagsanaato mid 23 jir ah.

Khayr   

What is the difference between "sexual interest" and "sexual orientation"?

The latter has only been given a sociological definition meaning over time, it has become associated with a particularised definition void of the

literal mean. Orientation and interest mean the same thing.

The APA by giving this sickness the associated term of "sexual interest",

are by and large - validiting such behaviors.

Safferz   

Khayr, how can you define what a pedophile is without using the term "sexual interest"? I don't see how that validates anything about their thoughts or behaviours, it's simply description.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;984406 wrote:

Qaangaarnimo kuma xirno da' ee waa camal. A 17-year-old wuu ka caqli badnaan karaa a 21-year-old, wuuna ka akhlaaq wanaagsanaan karaa. Same with a 15-year-old ka xishmad iyo edeb wanaagsanaato mid 23 jir ah.

MMA that may well be true, but I was talking about the laws here in wadamada galbeed. "Muslim ayaan ahay" won't work if you find yourself on trial in Canada for statutory rape for your relationship with a 16 year old girl lol.

Khayr   

^ Can we appropriately rapists people with a sexual interest too?

Does anyone have a sexual interest? Leathers and whips anyone? lol

Do you see my point? Using the word sexual interest instead of illness or criminal act, gives acknowledgement to pedos.