Sign in to follow this  
MoonLight1

cubano   

Siad Barre: His life and legacy

By Mohamed Ibrahim Shire

Has anyone read this book?

Somalia-Ethiopian War was a military disaster for Somalia,the war proved Somali Army was no match for Cubans and Soviet Union.

Mr. Cubano I have been reading your comments in this site for a while now and your bragging about the defeat the Cuban, Ethiopian and Soviet Unions inflicted in Somalia in 1977-78 war, but if I were like you I would keep a silence on that winning. Reason is that you forgot Somalia was a 16 yrs old nation with a population of less than 4 million at that time with GDP of a few hundred millions of dollars in dept with military force less than 150000, with an educated class of a few thousand at best and vast majority living in poverty, with no major industry to speak of. In a lame term Somalia was like a poor, sick, uninformed, raped, robed,mistreated, abused and angry 16 year old boy who cried for justice and when he did not received one decided to take the matter onto his own hand with out thinking of the consequences of his actions and lashed out of the adult man who done him wrong and won, but just because the man brought in his other adult brothers who were even more stronger than plus their friends and beat that young boy does not make or show an honorable and respectable Victory to speak of, it indicates the barbarian world in which we live in where the adults molest children and later brag about it. It actually show the young man was brave, but ******, but that was expected from him after all young boys will make mistakes far bigger than that. Therefore It's not a victory for you to speak of it is a shameful history to hide from it. After all Somalia Faced the might of Soviet industrial machine , the contempt and arms blockade of the west, the Cuban, Ethiopian, Yemenis superior numerical and military force, the financial backing of the Libyan, Iraqis and etc. The Kenyan threat of joining the war and not to mention the Israeli PR machine.

So tell me what chance would a 16 year old country in the situation Somalia was in 1977-78 and facing what it did, would it have coming out that war victoriously. Somalia lost the war before it even begin, but it just did not know it, it had to learn it the hard way. It faced monstrous nations with bigger populations that can it swallow it several time over, bigger economy than hers, more industrialized than her and bigger and better friends globally. If I ware in your shoes I wouldn't brag I would be ashamed of my country's action in that saga and would rather apologize for such an action.

And believe me though Cuba was bigger than Somalia at the time and more industrialized, better equipped than Somalia I believe you were lucky because you were not a neighbor of Somalia because you would also have tested what the Ethiopian have tasted and wouldn't be having this conversation right now. Somalia might have been alone in the war but it showed the world what it was capable of with little it had and that is why even today Somalia with it's near death the world is still worried about what damage it could do to it's arch enemies, and that is why they are being helped even now with everything they need in order to finish her off once in for all. Therefore, Somalis will never feel bad or sorry about the lost of that war because they did not loose to Ethiopia or Cuba as some misguided person like you would like to think of, but they face the majority of the worlds powerful nations directly and indirectly and are still making people like you still having to struggle and shout out louder to make others listen and believe their dishonorable victory, when in reality the honorable nations and people in this world know it was Somalia that displayed honor and bravery. Who would know about Cuba if it was not a few hundred miles from US shores? It is a laughing matter Where is Cuba today? Good or bad people still are having conversation about Somalia and it shows it's valid country weak or not. I guess you want to make your country valued by attaching it's name to Somalia's name. Poor Somalia is tired of carrying too many other baggage's near by it does not need another from far fetch forgotten, once has been island nation, now begging to enter the international stage after it's has been dumped by it's old master. even your last know famous leader is out of the picture. And if you are really interested....NEVER MIND....

cubano   

herefore, Somalis will never feel bad or sorry about the lost of that war because they did not loose to Ethiopia or Cuba as some misguided person like you would like to think of,

If Somalia was not defeated by Cuban and Soviet Union,Why all the western and Somali authors accept Somali Army was defeated by Cubans?

Somali authors who agree Somalia was defeated by Cuba:

Jama Mohamed Ghalib

Hussein Ali Dualeh

Mohamed Omar Osman

Said Samatar

Ahmed Samatar

Abdi Samatar