Sign in to follow this  
Dalmar1

(Wikileaks) the Late Prime Minister Meles zenawi terrified by the ONLF a serious threat.

Dalmar1   

US cable: Ethiopia govt terrified by ONLF rebels

[ONLF fighters from Ethiopia's Somali region]

ONLF fighters from Ethiopia's Somali region

© ONLF/afrol News

afrol News - The low-level conflict in Ethiopia's ****** region is far more dangerous to the government's survival than earlier assumed, a secret US report reveals. Government fears for its future.

In a diplomatic cable, sent by US Ambassador Donald Yamamoto in Addis Ababa in November 2007 and recently leaked by Wikileaks, it is made clear that the insurgency by the O.gaden National Liberation Front (ONLF) is strongly worrying the Ethiopian government.

"Because, the government of Ethiopia's core Tigrean People's Liberation Front (TPLF) sees in the ONLF an image of itself two decades ago when it overthrew the brutal communist Derg regime, Prime Minister Meles [Zenawi] and his Chief of Defence Force, General Samora Yonus, consider it vital to eliminate the ONLF before this insurgent group gains wider support," Ambassador Yamamoto sums up.

"It is our assessment that Prime Minister Meles and the government of Ethiopia leadership likely view the ONLF as a long term threat to the survival of the EPRDF government," the Ambassador details, mentioning similarities between the ONLF and Mr Meles' TPLF.

The US Ambassador reveals that this assessment is not his own, but comes from the Ethiopian government itself. "It is apparent from our conversations that the Prime Minister, General Samora and other TPLF/EPRDF members view the military defeat of the ONLF now as critical to prevent it from posing a threat to the government in the future," he wrote.

The assessment of Prime Minister Meles' fear of the ONLF comes a few months after an ONLF attack on a Chinese oil exploration site and the following brutal counter-attack by the Ethiopian army. Even the US Ambassador - a close ally to the Meles regime - admits the counter-attack had been "extreme, visceral" and "brutal".

The US cable also confirms earlier reports by human rights groups, strongly rejected by the Ethiopian government, that the army made "use of extreme force trapping the civilian population bet

[Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi]

Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi

© Eskinder Debebe/UN Photo/afrol News

ween the insurgents and the government forces."

Ambassador Yamamoto also reveals why the ONLF "shockingly successful" attack on the Chinese oil explorers caused so much fear among the Ethiopian leadership. "The attack was an embarrassment for the ENDF, its failure to protect the oil project site and respond immediately against the attackers," he writes.

But, apart from prestige, the most important reason was the economy, which is the Meles government's largest success and its main legitimacy to stay in power. The ONLF attack had threatened government's "vision for economic development" by indicating foreign investments in Ethiopia could be insecure. This "posed a fundamental threat to the government of Ethiopia's authority."

The US Ambassador finally casts doubts over Ethiopian statements that had defended the brutal counter-attack in ****** with a need to stop "foreign insurgents and extremists." No convincing evidence had been presented to government claims of Eritrean support for the ONLF or a Somali infiltration in Ethiopia.

Ethiopia is pressuring the US and African neighbours to list the ONLF as a terrorist group - which so far has not been done by any nation. Ambassador Yamamoto in 2007 said he did not agree and had "explained to the government of Ethiopia that while the ONLF is not a terrorist group, we recognise the probability that there are some individuals within the ONLF that may be supportive of extremist groups."

Ambassador Yamamoto advised government in Washington push Prime Minister Meles towards a less confrontational strategy in ******, where "military action alone will not bring a lasting resolution." More humanitarian aid to the "already underdeveloped and historically marginalised region" needed to be provided, he advised.

By staff writers

© afrol NewsNews

My dear Somali brothers and sister's it's our duty to help ONLF succeed in liberating our people and land from the aggressor occupier Ethiopia, so please let's shed light of the plight of the Somali people for their independence from evil the aggressor Ethiopia wherever we go in the society. Let's be their lobbyist in the European and America continent!

Insha'allahi Guul ONLF iyo Guul Somalia!

I am completely ignorant of Ethiopian politics so bear with me and be patient.

I have never understood the "O" part...how about all those others living in the Kililka who are not Owgarden or Speke's spelling Ugahden - how do you plan to mobilize them behind a clan name given the famous Somali pride of belonging?

Nothing against the clan, they are my abtis...

Dalmar1   

Bro i'm HG S from calkacyo, and you won't ever see me questioning the ONLF MOVEMENT becausei know the alternative to that which is living under oppressive foreign occupation of habeshi!,.... and why are you so quick to judge ONLF and not Ethiopia, because it's not ONLF's fault that other Clans that reside there are too scared to fight back habeshi ethiopia!,..... in short I'm for any pro-Somali movement that fights for honourable independence!

As to your 2nd question, the talks were never cancelled by the habeshi, it was cancelled be ONLF because they refuse the condition imposed on them which was accept the habeshi constitution which in fact is absurd and ONLF is right!

Tallaabo   

Dalmar1;983627 wrote:
Bro i'm HG S from calkacyo, and you won't ever see me questioning the ONLF MOVEMENT becausei know the alternative to that which is living under oppressive foreign occupation of habeshi!,.... and why are you so quick to judge ONLF and not Ethiopia, because it's not ONLF's fault
that other Clans that reside there are too scared to fight back habeshi ethiopia!,
..... in short I'm for any pro-Somali movement that fights for honourable independence!

As to your 2nd question, the talks were never cancelled by the habeshi, it was cancelled be ONLF because they refuse the condition imposed on them which was accept the habeshi constitution which in fact is absurd and ONLF is right!

How do you know the other clans are scared of the Habashis? What if they think fighting Ethiopia is not in their best interest?

Dalmar1   

To all landers no-offence, but I prefer not speaking to you guys due to my experience that you guys are always clouded by emotions rather than facts on the ground!,.... so for this alone I'll be ignoring you guys here!

Hawdian   

Dalmar1;983632 wrote:
To all landers no-offence, but I prefer not speaking to you guys due to my experience that you guys are always clouded by emotions rather than facts on the ground!,.... so for this alone I'll be ignoring you guys here!

. LOL walee Walewein waa funny.:cool:

uchi   

Dalmar1;983632 wrote:

Dalmar, i think you are on to something here.

Saalax;983791 wrote:
I doubt it. ONLF can't even liberate one single village in its entire existence.

Get rid of that disgusting tribalism buddy. You're not doing yourself (or your nation) a favor here. You should be standing in solidarity with your brothers instead of mocking them.

Dalmar1   

DoctorKenney;983795 wrote:
Get rid of that disgusting tribalism buddy. You're not doing yourself (or your nation) a favor here. You should be standing in solidarity with your brothers instead of mocking them.

Well done brother, indeed tribalism has blinded certain inhabitants of a triangle region beyond repair!

Saalax   

The truth is not tribalism. They are the ones carrying "O" a clan name for a rebel organization in a region inhabited by several

Somalis, don't accuse other people of tribalism.

Saalax;983801 wrote:
The truth is not tribalism. They are the ones carrying "O" a clan name for a rebel organization in a region inhabited by several

Somalis, don't accuse other people of tribalism.

It's called "O" because that's the name of the region. That's what we refer to as Eastern Ethiopia. What a ridiculous and idiotic thing to say. Just listen to yourself speak.

At least admit you're a tribalist. Admit that you hate all Somalis that don't share your exact tribal affiliation.

I sincerely hope you don't reproduce.