Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

12 Years a Slave

Safferz   

Supposed to be the best movie of the year... anyone else planning to see it? I'm hoping to squeeze some time in during the week to go. I've read Solomon Northup's memoir before and I like Steve McQueen's other films, so I'm looking forward to seeing this film.

Maqane   

I did watch Django Unchained and i should say it was great to see, i don't know if i'm going to see this one because i'm this time into Action | Adventure | Fantasy/sci-fi movies like X-men & Avatar e.t.c not reality Films. Hadda xitaa raadis baan ku jiraa si aan u helo similar movies .

Safferz   

Abbaas;983102 wrote:
I did watch
Django Unchained
and i should say it was great to see, i don't know if i'm going to see this one because i'm this time into
Action | Adventure | Fantasy/sci-fi
movies like X-men & Avatar e.t.c not reality Films. Hadda xitaa raadis baan ku jiraa si aan u helo similar movies .

Yes, it's definitely more of a film for people who like historical drama and strong acting performances. I like the movies you mentioned too, but sometimes I like the heavier films too :P

And they say "slavery has been abolished in America". People don't realize, but such movies like this is meant to give pride to the younger White generations and show the younger "Black" generations their place in history and in humanity.

Hollywood never makes any movies with famous actors depicting how Fircoon enslaved the Jews or how different African empires once had European/White slaves. Food for thought.

Safferz   

Naxar Nugaaleed;983114 wrote:
Can't wait to see it. Believe it comes out on the first of November although am sure it's already showing in Ny and LA

Yes, it's showing here in Boston as part of the limited release but opening nationwide on November 1st.

Classified;983116 wrote:
And they say "slavery has been abolished in America". People don't realize, but such movies like this is meant to give pride to the younger White generations and show the younger "Black" generations their place in history and in humanity.

Huh? It's quite the the opposite, films like this shed light on a dark chapter of US history that most people feel detached from and are painfully ignorant about. It's absurd that you think white people portraying slave owners and racists and torturing slaves in the antebellum South is supposed to give white people today a sense of pride, if anything what these films do is make viewers deeply uncomfortable about race in American history, disrupt the notion of romantic Southern plantations populated by happy slaves (something you DID see in older Hollywood films like Gone With the Wind) and force people to see the barbarity of slavery and the humanity of the enslaved. In the same way the miniseries Roots was a watershed cultural event for bringing the history of slavery to American televisions, this film has the potential to be (and is, from everything I've heard so far) one of the greatest films on American slavery ever made. This year also looks like it may even make history for the number of black actors nominated for Oscars, with films like The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, Captain Philips, etc all getting Oscar buzz.

Classified;983116 wrote:
Hollywood never makes any movies with famous actors depicting how Fircoon enslaved the Jews or how different African empires once had European/White slaves. Food for thought.

Sure there are (Charlton Heston in the Ten Commandments comes to mind)... but none of those examples are nearly as important or central to the US context as the enslavement of black people was, so you have no point.

Safferz   

Che -Guevara;983120 wrote:
I thought it was out today hehe

Depends where you are :) New York and a few other cities opened last week, Boston and other select cities this weekend. Everywhere else on November 1st.

Khayr   

Safferz;983118 wrote:
Yes, it's showing here in Boston as part of the limited release but opening nationwide on November 1st.

Huh? It's quite the the opposite, films like this shed light on a dark chapter of US history that most people feel detached from and are painfully ignorant about. It's absurd that you think white people portraying slave owners and racists and torturing slaves in the antebellum South is supposed to give white people today a sense of pride, if anything what these films do is make viewers deeply uncomfortable about race in American history, disrupt the notion of romantic Southern plantations populated by happy slaves (something you DID see in older Hollywood films like Gone With the Wind) and force people to see the barbarity of slavery and the humanity of the enslaved. In the same way the miniseries Roots was a watershed cultural event for bringing the history of slavery to American televisions, this film has the potential to be (and is, from everything I've heard so far) one of the greatest films on American slavery ever made. This year also looks like it may even make history for the number of black actors nominated for Oscars, with films like The Butler, 12 Years a Slave, Captain Philips, etc all getting Oscar buzz.

Sure there are (Charlton Heston in the Ten Commandments comes to mind)... but none of those examples are nearly as important or central to the US context as the enslavement of black people was, so you have no point.

All those movies have black males as slaves, servants or pitch black pirates.

Great things to aspire to and recant about over and over again right?

Hollywood doesn't give a damn about black history. They retell these stories

and almost always and I mean always - there is a white protagonist that

some how has the power to free that black person from darkness.

I just don't get the stoopidity of these negroes that want to play the slaves or thiefs or servants.

Could you imagine Brad Pitt wanting to play the role of a jewwish thief? No such thing right, I mean about a jeeww being a thief - ever!

tutu   

Watching it to support our own beautiful talent; Lupita nyong'o. She's already bagged a major hollywood award.

983155=111-image.jpg

Haatu   

tutu;983156 wrote:
Watching it to support our own beautiful talent; Lupita nyong'o. She's already bagged a major hollywood award.

983155=111-image.jpg

What has this Luo got to do with us shekh?