Sign in to follow this  
Tallaabo

Russell Brand on Newsnight

Tallaabo   

In a revolution I can imagine him running like a wild beast toppling statues, looting businesses, and setting public buildings on fire;)

Khayr   

Safferz;982949 wrote:
Brilliant from beginning to end.

What makes it brilliant? He is not saying something new that other skinny jean wearing people haven't said.

He is just like many others - full of himself.

The whole argument is moot, because it is limited to politics. Politics is not the entirety of what decides a political system. It also interleaves pretty much completely with the media, the establishment and the police. Overarching all of this is capitalism, which trumps everything.

So the idea that voting can effect any sort of a change in the UK currently, or to be frank ever again, is quite laughable. There are three main parties, all of whom represent exactly the same interests. Exactly the same - the accumulation and preservation of wealth. Any party that can engender enough support to be considered any sort of a threat to these three parties will either be:

A) Denied sufficient oxygen of publicity to achieve electoral success. Social media possibly offers a loophole, where consequently

B) Their ideologies are subsumed into a more palatable form for the masses by the major parties (this has happened many times with Labour / Conservatives, no doubt we will see it happen with the Lib Dems if they survive in any form). Any extreme opposition will always remain on the political fringes at best. Green, UKIP, BNP et al have all and will all experience this.

So the status quo remains, vested interests are protected, the rich continue to be rich. Brand's viewpoint is correct, a revolution is the only alternative. Personally I don't think it will ever happen as people are too supine, and if it somehow does we will simply have anarchy followed by feudalism followed by capitalism again. It is too ingrained in our consciousness for us to ever be rid of it.

In my wildest dreams, people start to think. Society strives to improve. However, the reality is things will only ever get worse.

Khayr   

^ The reality is they all have the same worldview and would not give up their slice of the cake to the other 99% because

after all they "earned" the right to screw people over (as russ brand said "i am taking that right and owning it" )