Sign in to follow this  
SomaliPhilosopher

SOL Supreme Court: Somalis Behind Bars Thread (Case 1)

There has been much controversy surrounding the infamous "Somalis behind bars" thread, a creation of Nin-Yaaban. There has been accusations of slander, defamation of individuals and the Somali race, disturbing the peace, and breaking golden rules #6 and #7, which are posted below. Accusations have reached a point to which Nin-Yaaban has released a "youtube" video explaining himself. This video has been digitally saved and placed in the evidence chamber and will be taken into consideration. Nin-Yaaban may be found guilty of breaking golden rule #6 if proof is brought to the court showing one of the SOL nomads were exposed via "Somalis behind bars"... The other charges rest in the discretion of the court... This is an open platform to come to a decision regarding this controversy. The judge,SP, will come to a decision upon hearing from the people.

Golden Rules:

6 - Privacy: respect the privacy of other nomads. Do not post another nomad's phone number, home or office address, personal or family information , pictures, email or chat conversation, or SOL pm conversation, without a permission from the nomad or the administrator of Somalia Online. Do not post links of other pages where such information is available either. Respecting the privacy of the members of this site is paramount. If you violate this rule, you will be banned.

7 - Flaming: absolutely no personal attacks (direct or indirect). Criticize ideas, not people. Flaming will not be tolerated in any way. This includes any material which is vulgar, profane, defamatory, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws.

In addendum to your Golden Rules, may you forbid the usage of "lol" and other shorthands as well as the usage of emoticons? Their presence wouldn't be approriate considering the serious nature of this thread.

Edit: I misread your post SP, I thought the Golden Rules were the Rules of Engagement for this thread. I retract the above paragraph. LOL ;) :confused: :P:D

Safferz   

In defense of Nin_Yaaban, he posts photos that he finds in the news, unlike other threads here (ie. Mad_Mullah's thread with interracial couples) that actually use people's private Facebook photos. Arrests and mug shots are public records, so the privacy point is moot unless they are minors (whose names and images aren't released by the police anyway). They lost the right to privacy when they broke the law.

Allah's prophet says "he who veils his fellow Muslim's affair in this world, Allah will veil his affairs in this world and the hereafter". It's just advice for brother Nin_Yaaban that's all. He's not breaking any "worldly" laws per se, however, not following Allah and his prophet should be what worries him more.

Safferz;982669 wrote:
In defense of Nin_Yaaban, he posts photos that he finds in the news, unlike other threads here (ie. Mad_Mullah's thread with interracial couples) that actually use people's private Facebook photos. Arrests and mug shots are public records, so the privacy point is moot unless they are minors (whose names and images aren't released by the police anyway).
They lost the right to privacy when they broke the law.

Safferz: Whatever happened to Innocent until proven guilty without a shadow of a doubt waliba? Some of the links and photos Nin_Yaaban posted online are mere accusations and not proven. Additionally, Nin_Yaaban seems to be hell bent on creating some form of encyclopedia on Somali "criminals", surely even you (defender of the Somali name ... remember the Star case?) see the flaw in the argument that "such information is available on the internet". This would have made sense to me if Nin_Yaaban started this thread with his mugshot (after all he is a convicted criminal) and openly explained that he is/was a "Qashin" as he labels others, laakiin kaygaan qarinayaa kuwa kalana waan fadeexaynayaa seems to me inay tahay epitome of hypocrisy

Oh and I dare not talk about kuwan yaryar ee burushka xaarka leh la wareegaya lest they turn on me.

Safferz   

Complicated;982719 wrote:
Safferz: Whatever happened to Innocent until proven guilty without a shadow of a doubt waliba? Some of the links and photos Nin_Yaaban posted online are mere accusations and not proven. Additionally, Nin_Yaaban seems to be hell bent on creating some form of encyclopedia on Somali "criminals", surely even you (defender of the Somali name ... remember the Star case?) see the flaw in the argument that "such information is available on the internet". This would have made sense to me if Nin_Yaaban started this thread with his mugshot (after all he is a convicted criminal) and openly explained that he is/was a "Qashin" as he labels others, laakiin kaygaan qarinayaa kuwa kalana waan fadeexaynayaa seems to me inay tahay epitome of hypocrisy

Oh and I dare not talk about kuwan yaryar ee burushka xaarka leh la wareegaya lest they turn on me.

There is that possibility, yes. But I'm just not convinced by a lot of the arguments for shutting that thread down. NY isn't doing his own investigating and writing about Somalis getting arrested, he's compiling what's already out there in the news. If he doesn't create the content, how can he be accused of making Somalis look bad? It's the folks who get arrested who are already doing that, I take NY's thread as a sort of media watch focusing on Somalis and the law. It's not the thread's existence that produces these issues, and I think the fact NY makes it visible to us here gives us the opportunity for productive dialogue about the problems in our community.

And from what I've seen, Nin-Yaaban has been pretty open about his criminal history.

Safferz   

Another thought, why not a thread highlighting the positive accomplishments and successes in our community? I remember a while ago Chimera had a thread on Somali scientists, perhaps something similar expanded to include academics, business people, activists, professionals, random folks featured in a positive way in the media, etc that everyone can contribute to. That's more constructive than trying to have the criminals thread shut down, which is unlikely to happen at this point.

I quickly went through the thread in question and counted 127 different postings of different cases, the charges in 43 of those cases were either murder or attempted murder. Would any of you still raise issues over privacy if the thread highlighted only the most serious cases? It would still be a fairly large thread.

Hawdian   

Safferz;982806 wrote:
Another thought, why not a thread highlighting the positive accomplishments and successes in our community? I remember a while ago Chimera had a thread on Somali scientists, perhaps something similar expanded to include academics, business people, activists, professionals, random folks featured in a positive way in the media, etc that everyone can contribute to. That's more constructive than trying to have the criminals thread shut down, which is unlikely to happen at this point.

. + 1 and this blog must be shut down NY has had his time to make fun of these people but they hav paid their dues back to society no need to hightlight it .How ironic it would be if tommorow someone he knows is added to the album .

Safferz   

Blackflash;982815 wrote:
I quickly went through the thread in question and counted 127 different postings of different cases, the charges in 43 of those cases were either murder or attempted murder. Would any of you still raise issues over privacy if the thread highlighted only the most serious cases? It would still be a fairly large thread.

I don't think most people who take issue with Nin-Yaaban's thread do so because of privacy concerns, it seems to be more out of the feeling that NY is airing out our dirty laundry and that criminality amongst Somalis is something that should be kept quiet and out of sight.

Jacpher   

^That's how it seems to you maybe but not those of us who urged him to stop parading people's privacy when in fact anyone can be charged for a crime they are innocent of. In the eye of the law, getting charged with a crime does not mean guilty or convicted. Perhaps that's where NY fails to undertand.

dhugfe   

I think this is an excellent thread; it serves as a deterrent for the morally weak who's still got the least bit of self-respect left. So to any Farah out there thinking of doing any of such heinous acts, smile you could be on SOL lol. I say, if anything, this thread needs more publicizing. If that is done; I bet those ever increasing Somali crime numbers in the west will take a nosedive.

p.s. NY’s mugshot, as stated by many nomads, should’ve been the first on the list.

dhugfe;982897 wrote:
I think this is an excellent thread; it
serves as a deterrent
for the morally weak who's still got the least bit of self-respect left. So to any Farah out there thinking of doing any of such heinous acts, smile you could be on SOL lol. I say, if anything, this thread needs more publicizing. If that is done; I bet those ever increasing Somali crime numbers in the west will take a nosedive.

p.s. NY’s mugshot, as stated by many nomads, should’ve been the first on the list.

They didn't fear Allah when they committed this crime, what makes you think they'll fear SOL? La xawla wa la quwata ila billah!

dhugfe   

guleed_ali;982900 wrote:
They didn't fear Allah when they committed this crime
, what makes you think they'll fear SOL? La xawla wa la quwata ila billah!

good point. but isn't that the sad world we live in these days, more and more people fearing what creatures would think/do instead of the creator? if for arguments sake it would indeed serve as a deterrent, isn't that a good thing?

Wadani   

For all those supporting Nin-Yaabn's thread, I sincerely hope that all of the skeletons you have hiding in your closets are exposed by Allah to the public, Ameen.

The Somali community would not know about most of the people on that thread except for their family and a few neigbours if they weren't paraded on here by Nin-Yaaban, so Safferz point about it already being public is moot within this context. Ofcourse there are some monsters on that thread that I could care less about...but i'm talking about those yet to be convicted, and those who committed petty offences like khat smuggling. That thread is a grave injustice to such people as it besmirches their repuations permanently.