Sign in to follow this  
WingA

FIFA World Cup 2010

Khayr   

So now that uruguay 1 mexico 0

and South Africa 2 France 1

What does that translate to for South Africa and their chances of place 2nd in their pool?

Urugay is 1st place

Mexico in 2nd place

South Africa looks to be out, if we go by goal differential. They let in 5 goals over all as opposed to the 2 goals that mexico let in so far in the tournament.

Now its for Nigeria to carry the odds:

If Nigeria gets 3 - 0 against South Korea, and Greece gets whopped by Argentia, then they advance - right?

NGONGE   

LST, they did indeed. But luckily for them that embarrassment was overshadowed by the French elimination and problems. :D

NGONGE, France was out in the last game against Mexico IMO. I didn't think they would come back that spectacularly considering all the infighting in the French camp. My hope was that South Africa would be saved from the embarrassment of making history.

What a disaster for all my teams.

Let us see Ghana. :D

Afrika dixsi camal ee iska soo daba dhacoosaa. Koonfur Afrika, Nayjeeriya, Kamaruun waa qul quleen. Aayfori Koosti albaabka ey lugta kala sii baxeen. Yaa kuu haray? Al-Jeeriya iyo Gaana. Al-Jeeriya shaki kuma jiro inay qul quleeso in mucjiso dhacdo mooyee. Gaana baa ah rajada kaliya ee u hartay 750, 000, 000 malyuun dad ah oo Qaaradooda lugu qabtay Horyaalka Koobka Adduunka. Gaana qudheedana waxaa haya Jarmalka oo kacsan oo doonaya inay usoo baxaan 16-ka ugu danbeeya.

'Afrikaay hurudoooooooooooooy!'

SeeKer   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

If Paraguay beat Mexico and France let SA trounce them anything could happen.

What game were you watching lol :D:D:D

US and England playing at the same time makes it unbearable for me to watch I would have to watch it PIP and that just suxs redface.gif

Africa

Thanks to Diego, the man did all he can to help Nigeria to go thru but Nigeria like the host Bafana-dhaqda-Bafana, South Africa both had failed their people and nations, candho! It doesn’t look too good for Africa. Only Ghana and Algeria qualifications to the next round could a provide face-saving for this cursed continent.

The Les bleus

Oh, poor France, they couldn't escape the bad karma and all the thing they have done to Ireland. I bet now the irish rejoiced at the final whistle :D MACSONKOR camal!

Oz   

Spain, Spain Spain grrrr!! The team I picked oh dear dear momma!! Am actually pissed off more at Spain than even before. I saw this freakin match against Honduras, they were just a lazy bunch of players. Once 2-0 up and missing a few more chances, and with Xavi off, they looked a completely different side, they just slacked off and happy with 2-0 against a hopeless Honduras side. Do they freakin want to face Brazil in the second round? I don't think so. They Goal Difference now is only 1, If they beat Chile by 1 goal, 2, and if Swiss only beat Honduras by 2 goals, they will top the group! SO Wha thaa F WAS THAT SPAIN!?!

I also have pretty much concluded, Cesc is overrated, its as simple as that. Ask him to do the Xavi role? No. He slows the game completely and takes much longer to read the game, and much shorter range of passing. Im being critical because many are saying he will succeed Xavi in the role for Spain and Barca, but I dont think he can. Jesus Navas offers pace and some penetration, but his final ball is always so poor, it was sad to watch. How have Spain come to such low quality? Del Bosque failed to impress me, with his tactics or substitutions. It was just Villa's ability that won the game for them yesterday in essence.On this showing, Spain dont deserve the WC. Unless they improve vastly against Chile, I dont think they will even win that game or if so get past Brazil.

Something less important Im worried about as well is..When Villa was about to take that penalty, a thought crossed my mind. I was thinking this is the evidence that he will be a top scorer in this WC and lead Spain to win it, and also to lead Barca to success with many goal to come, and I cant believe it when he missed it! Was that the answer to my thought? I hope not! :D:D

Pathetic by Spain, pathetic :mad:

Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay and Argentina have all impressed thus far at the WC, i think it comes to show that the South Amerian qualification section is the strongest around, in the European section you get some freebies like Andorra, San Marino, Faroe Islands etc, whereas in the South American section you get no such thing, every game is intense and it really is a marathon not a sprint to qualify for the World Cup as it is an 18 game section. I think these factors are a reason for the 3 South American teams excluding Brazil and Argentina doing well so far.

What a miss by Yakubu, That has got to be the greatest miss of all time :D:D . Glad to see Greece out of the competition. :D Shockingly negative for the whole match.

You work hard to qualify for the World Cup, need a result to stay in it, To defend for 90 minutes even when you HAVE to score? It's completely anti-football and good riddance :mad: :mad:

PS: Palermo... what a story!

PSS: C'mon Aussies "We can do it. beat Serbia and Ghana will do us a favour by beating Germany."

Somalina   

Allamagan-it will be a cursed continent as long as it's managed by a big shot European/South American coach.

What have the foreign managers done for the African teams in this WC? (Westerhof and Nepomniachi don't count as it is 2010)

I think that Africans are only seen for their strengths rather than for their brains, otherwise their Football Associations would have employed one of their own(real African) coaches.

One wonders where is the African pride, the "made in Africa" logo? Apparently, it is all in the noise-making trumpet known as the Vuvuzela for now. African countries should take responsibility for their own achievements and successes and not look at the white man for answers.

The moral of this story is that we have a long way ahead of us before we see an African team wining the WC.

Oz   

Originally posted by NNC:

I think that Africans are only seen for their strength rather than their brains, otherwise their Football Associations would have employed one of their own(real black African).

One wonders where is the African pride, the "made in Africa" logo? Apparently, it is all in the noise-making trumpet known as the Vuvuzela for now.

The moral of this story is that we have a long way ahead of us before we see an African team wining the WC.

I think the problem with African football is this...what IS "African football" ? To me it doesnt seem to have much of an identity. Look at all the so called stronger African teams, why are they considered strong ? Simply because they have more European based players. So really how does that help their cause playing in Africa ? honestly it doesnt really make much difference what continent they were on it wouldnt help this problem.

I mean look at the more successful football nations at WC level, Germany, Italy, Brazil they all seem to have this typecast way of playing, the Germans are "clinical" the Italians are defensive and cope well under pressure, the Brazilians play with that "samba flair".

Through generations of different players this ethos of play style still exists to this day and is still successful.

I think having that kind of identity/culture of a national team is really important because when you start bringing players together from clubs all over the world they need to understand how they fit in and what exactly is expected of them when they put on that different shirt. Klose is brilliant at national level, Robinho as well, how many African players in comparison are better at country than club level ?

African teams just dont seem to have this. The only ones that do to a small extent are Ghana and Egypt...and guess what ? They are two of the most successful nations in the African cup.

The only way to develop this identity is to have strong local leagues that have good support and facilities and good balance of foreign and local players.

What an African country needs also in my opinion is a Ancelotti, Hiddink or a Mourinho to coach them, they wont win the World Cup without a top quality coach, problem is the African teams dont have the money to appoint a top coach, whereas Russia with a wealthy man like Abramovich funding Hiddink's salary can. A top coach who wont stand any messing is crucial as we have heard so many stories of players from African nations being too powerful and egoistic and essentially walking over a coach, like Ivory Coast did after the 2010 African Nations Cup when their old coach was sacked due to player power.

PS: I think all the factors above are still hurdles to overcome if an African side is going to win the WC, i thought this time round one could get to the Quarter Finals being on the home soil, now there are doubts if any of them will go through.

Somalina   

I agree with you totally, and like I said earlier, we have a long way to go.

p.s. Mourinho couldn't even control Balotelli's constant tirades, what makes you think he will make a difference.