Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Nurrudin Farah's Tirade against the president

Khadafi   

LANDER;981559 wrote:
^That paragraph sums up what I saw in this article. Mr.Nurudin Farah being an 'intellectual' doesn't want to be seen as another petty tribal commentator the likes of which he described earlier in the article. Yet, you have to ask yourself why include hear say and unsubstantiated accusations? shouldn't someone of his caliber know better? Being the president of Somalia in my humble opinion is the most difficult job on the face of the planet. Yet, overall the situation in Somalia has steadly improved with the occasional set back. Coming in to office did anyone really expect anymore than what President Mohamud has done thus far? if you did, than I dare say you have little appreciation for the difficulty and unpredictable nature of the job this man was given. So what is the most substantial criticism Nuradiin Farah has been able to throw at a man who constantly faces death from a extremist group and who inherited the worlds only failed state plagued by war and famine? Well, that he didn't overturn the judiciaries decision in one particular murder case of 2 NGO workers by one particular individual. No offense to the victims of that crime or their families nor do I want to diminish these crimes, but is Nurudiin Farah serious? or does he have another agenda by going to a major western publishing like the NYT?

1+. Nurudin Farah is a respected author but his criticism by hearsay was wrong. But some of his points was indeed correct. He said that the justice system in Somalia is in shatters when a convicted murderer was set free yet the whole Somali population are now facing the horrible challenges when MSF pulled out of Somalia. They could simply not accept one of their doctors getting murdered and then being set free by the president.

Nuradin did not use hearsay in his essay. He quoted prominent politicians (two former prime ministers) to illustrate the level of suspicion in current president leadership and network in the country.

A reread of the article is in order

Khadafi   

my friends thought that Mr. Mohamud didn’t have the determination to lead the country, nor the hardiness to stand up to clan elders who have contributed so much to the two-decade-plus civil war and still dominate the country. A former prime minister, Ali Mohamed Gedi, has called him an incompetent novice.

....Ali Khalif Gallaydh, a member of Parliament and a former prime minister, has alleged (citing unnamed British and American intelligence sources) that Mr. Mohamud has contacts with Al Shabab, the Islamist affiliate of Al Qaeda in East Africa.

That's the reread you requested xiin. Who are the un-named american & british intelligent sources suggesting that the president is in bed with al-shabaab. It's something for the respected author to criticize the president and the government but it is another thing to quote unnamed sources and imply a democratic elected president as an

al-shabaab sympathizer . I wonder why the assassination attempt on the president by al-shabaab is unheard of in his essay.

Wadani   

"In a country torn by decades of war, the number of political panhandlers scavenging for scraps on which to feed their ambitions is too great to count. Online news sites and radio stations serve up a daily fare of vitriol and abuse, with contributors propagating their clan’s agendas. Of the no-holds-barred allegations that have been made, I would point out two. Ahmed Ismail Samatar, a political scientist at Macalester College who ran for president last year, has blamed his defeat on vote rigging and vote buying. Even more troubling, Ali Khalif Gallaydh, a member of Parliament and a former prime minister, has alleged (citing unnamed British and American intelligence sources) that Mr. Mohamud has contacts with Al Shabab, the Islamist affiliate of Al Qaeda in East Africa."

To me, this reads more as a disparagment of Ahmed Ismail and Galaydh than of the president.

ElPunto   

Almost all criticism or praise of Somali politicians is by hearsay. Not sure where the big objection on that score comes in.

Nuradin's criticisms are mostly right.

ElPunto   

Almost all criticism or praise of Somali politicians is by hearsay. Not sure where the big objection on that score comes in.

Nuradin's criticisms are mostly right.