Sign in to follow this  
Allyourbase

Scottish Independence and Somalia

I think the question of clan allegiance applies to most african countries in the sense that political borders may separate single clans between two countries. The referendum in South Sudan was only within the borders of South Sudan and did not include the entirety of the Sudan, likewise appears the proposed referendum in Scotland and we know of similar cases in Eritrea (1993), East Timor (1999) and Kurdistan (albeit informal, 2005). It seems that though the clan allegiance is an important factor, it has no leg to stand on politically as the nature of independance referenda is for it to be held within the territory that is seeking independence.

Hawdian;981622 wrote:
The talks are only between the former british Somaliland and the former italian colony of somalia . present day they r republic of Somaliland and the state of fed. Somaliya so the argument about clans is not valid. Who the talks are between is already a concluded agreement and signed a bit late to make objections now .

You would have a point there had it not been the glaring political realities that contradict, dare I say impede the talks. The two parties to the talks are well defined: SFG and Somaliland administration. However, we all know the political mandate and the reach of SFG authority in the country. We also know the political mandate and reach of SL administration in the North. Which means, settling the question of secession is not a realistic deliverable from these talks.

Hope was in the air when these talks were constituted in London. However,today the political contours of the country have taken a sharp turn, leaving the country more polarized as ever. One understands the talks unto itself are perceived as a source of legitimacy by both parties as they present opportunity for SL to hone their bargaining skills in international arenas, and for SFG, it is the only credible political exercise that has a traction (a positive one at that) in many circles i.e. region & IC.

But beyond that, both entities have no mandate to reach a deal. If you've been following the talks, you can attest to what I am saying.