Sign in to follow this  
Gheelle.T

Barkhad Cabdi and other Somali crew with (Captain Phillips) the big boys

ElPunto;980983 wrote:
Waa ka naxay that pirate leader when I saw the trailer. Jeez.

Will not see this propaganda piece just as haven't seen Black Hawk Down.

WoW. You haven't seen Black Hawk Down? SMH. That was the best movie....it put us on the world map as far as movies goes.

Back in 2008, i worked with this Cadaan guy from West Virginia (and WV is 99% cadaan with very little Mexicans, blacks or asians) and he found out i was Somali. This guy would bring up Black Hawk Down every time i said shit about the U.S, walahi he was a comedian. Always referencing Black Hawk down when me and another Somali guy would argue. Funnies shit I've heard in my life.

I know people got upset over the movie, but to me, it was just funny. :)

Safferz   

ElPunto;980983 wrote:
Waa ka naxay that pirate leader when I saw the trailer. Jeez.

Will not see this propaganda piece just as haven't seen Black Hawk Down.

I mustered the strength to watch it for the first time earlier this year, might need another decade to prepare myself for Captain Phillips lol

Khayr   

Mad_Mullah;980986 wrote:
I heard the movie is sponsored by the Puntland Ministry of Tourism.
:D

Can Dr. Puntland confirm that? :)

NGONGE   

Gheelle.T;980981 wrote:
I wasn't comparing the roles per se, but rather the actors. And you're right that they are irrelevant in this movie, but what are the chance of them being cast or given some sort of role in future Somali based movie/drama or tv show.

Foot in the door. The rest is really up to these Somali actors and their personalities (and no role is ever irrelevant, not even the guy who dies in the first second of a movie). :D

^The Barkhad guy is getting some publicity as he's giving all of these interviews(I know they are promoting the movie), but what are the chances of him/them getting more roles in the future films if this movie does well in the box office..time will tell I guess.

As for Hollywood, it's industry where the money does the talking. And in this case, a white man whom the western media and particularly the American media portrayed him as a hero who saved his crew from skinny pirates, took advantage of his 15mins of fame and wrote a book. God knows how much is true of the ordeal he went through, but nonetheless Hollywood director thought it's a good script for the big screen and rest is history.

This is entertainment business driven by money and cares no historical accuracy be it Somali pirate vs white guy or Persians vs 300 Spartans.

NGONGE;981039 wrote:
This forum is broken. It posts everything I write twice. War what did you people do to the place?
:P

Waar NSA baa meesha walaaqaysa ;)

Jacpher   

Glad they casted actual Somalis this time. I wish the brothers the best luck.

I will probably see this one though I haven't bothered to see Black Hawk Down.

Rumor has it one of them is SOLer. Just saying.

Safferz   

Interesting interview posted today on Captain Phillips and representations of Somalis/Somalia on Africa is a Country, with the Canadian-based African director of an upcoming documentary called "The Smiling Pirate" that tries to give a different perspective. Looks interesting.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Khayr   

So just to give som perspective, this movie has the same rating approval

as Zero Dark Thirty. If you ever watched Zero Dark, it normalized the idea of torturing muslims; the idea that every muslim is a potential terrorist

and that the American Women is the new savior/protagonist. Her hate for muslims having been justified.

This Captain John movie will and does work in the same way.

The white American male is empathetic to the pirates cause does not mind to have them portrayed

as savages and Americans as heroes.

Khayr   

Oh and by the way, they are talking Oscars for this movie too. Zero Dark was the darling movie of the oscars

recently.