Sign in to follow this  
Gheelle.T

Barkhad Cabdi and other Somali crew with (Captain Phillips) the big boys

I hope it wont be one hit wonder for these guys and will make it big. Here are some interview clips and photo ops:

article-2437354-1855B9A000000578-467_634

130927_CapPhillipsTrioMain1New.jpg

captain-phillips-premiere.jpg

Cadaan propoganda - check the trailer - they got the ugliest Faaraxs they could get their hands on. This doesn't happen to just Somalis. If it's vs Russians, Arabs, Asians, they always get some peasant looking mofos.

If you were in MN I bet you would have made it. Too bad the audition didn't come to ARABIA ;) I have noticed you always comment on looks of Somalis particularly men, wonder why is that hmmmm. Dark this and ugly that...Waryaa why are you always negative? Mise you're one of Al's scripts? ;)

I don't live in Arabia. I live in Little Pakistan :D

Saaxib go watch the trailer then come back. I watched in the cinema, alla bacda iska fur. It was so bad I had to go back to my Ethiopian roots. :D

What was so bad about the trailer? That there are skinny Somali actors or the Movie sucks? Common now quruxloow Ethiopian ;) Listen, these guys were taking part in a pirate movie where the real characters were skinny, poor, malnourished teens (not teens, but skinny old azzs) and not in a beauty contest show. Marka quruxda meel kale ka day day ;)

Safferz   

Doubtful, they were casted to portray a one dimensional stereotype. The foreign, dark skinned villain in Hollywood movies rarely has the character depth for a strong, stand-out acting performance, and they'll fade to the background even more so in this film, designed for Tom Hanks to get an Oscar nomination as the white hero Captain Phillips.

Safferz;980972 wrote:
Doubtful, they were casted to portray a one dimensional stereotype. The foreign, dark skinned villain in Hollywood movies rarely has the character depth for a strong, stand-out acting performance, and they'll fade to the background even more so in this film, designed for Tom Hanks to get an Oscar nomination as the white hero Captain Phillips.

That's pretty much Hollywood. They dont care about accuracies or being offensive to an entire group or nation. Its all about the MONEY to 'em. And there are plenty of people willing to take any role for MONEY.

You never know that skinny guy may be nominated for the best supporting actor, it's Hollywood after all ;)

Remember Djimon Hounsou was unknown actor before his role in the movie Amistad in which I believe he was nominated an Oscar for best supporting actor. And he later made it in big screen such as gladiator and black diamond.

Stereotype or not, someone out there is willing to take any bad role in a movie as long as it pays. So kudos to the director/producer (whoever makes the decision) for opting to cast Somali actors.

Safferz   

Gheelle.T;980975 wrote:
You never know that skinny guy may be nominated for the best supporting actor, it's Hollywood after all
;)

Remember Djimon Hounsou was unknown actor before his role in the movie Amistad in which I believe he was nominated an Oscar for best supporting actor. And he later made it in big screen such as gladiator and black diamond.

Stereotype or not, someone out there is willing to take any bad role in a movie as long as it pays. So kudos to the director/producer (whoever makes the decision) for opting to cast Somali actors.

You can't compare Joseph Cinque to this! That was actually a central character to the film, on the other hand these guys are basically props in the overall narrative. I'd honestly be surprised if we even learn their names in the movie, that's how irrelevant they are. They're just "pirates," not people.

Khayr   

Effin iiddiots. The white man is the good guy always especially when they edit and produce these movies.

I wasn't comparing the roles per se, but rather the actors. And you're right that they are irrelevant in this movie, but what are the chance of them being cast or given some sort of role in future Somali based movie/drama or tv show.

ElPunto   

Waa ka naxay that pirate leader when I saw the trailer. Jeez.

Will not see this propaganda piece just as haven't seen Black Hawk Down.