Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Another 'worst of' label gained

Even Nuruddin Farah stopped traveling on the Somali passport after years of valiantly trying to use it - harrowing, harrowing. He wrote movingly about it, I forget which essay it was.

It is difficult enough if you are Somali and traveling on other passports....

N.O.R.F   

Mad_Mullah;980634 wrote:
Hmmm, where did the ban come from? Shabab popped up in 2006, before that we were of the radar.

Due to the the sharci selling, passport swapping/altering Somalis were doing.

Safferz   

QansaxMeygaag;980637 wrote:
Even Nuruddin Farah stopped traveling on the Somali passport after years of valiantly trying to use it - harrowing, harrowing. He wrote movingly about it, I forget which essay it was.

It is difficult enough if you are Somali and traveling on other passports....

Can you find this essay? I'd love to read it.

YoniZ   

N.O.R.F;980632 wrote:

1. Somalis who can travel there can only travel there if they are married/child of someone who already lives there and has a residence visa (someone who lived there before the ban on Somalis back in 2004).

2. No one with a Somali passport can go there on a visit/tourist visa. This is what needs to change. At least for business travellers.

To add one more damning fact. The overwhelming majority of Somali business men/women in UAE carry Ethiopian,Djibouti or Western passports.

That messed up an important statistics for Somalia being the 2nd/3rd trade partner of UAE (interms of exports) prior 2004. Now it does not even make the top ten.

nuune;980620 wrote:
MMA, don't worry, Somali Passport will soon be the most expensive one in the world to obtain, the least restrictive one.

Horta ma ogtahey baasabooorka adduunka ugu qaalisan inuu hada yahey Kuwait.

Somalia can turn the tables around, in my view, waad arki doontaan, Somalia of today will not be the same of Somalia in 5 years, that is right, 5 years.

okey, that might be of little bit out of the mark for some people, recently when I met a guy from the UK, a white guy who owns some businesses in Kenya and in the Middle East, after long discussion, then came the question about passports, he asked about what is the most expensive passport in the world, I told him Brunai, no he said, I told him Belarus, he said no, he told me it is Kuwait, and Somalia will overtake Kuwait in few years time,

I asked him why he thinks that way, and continued to say that all eyes will be on Somalia for the next 10 years, he continued to say that he is observing the development in Nairobi to get some billions of contracts, his main business core is RAIL & AGRICULTURE, he said that he wants to be the first to develop these areas before anyone else does, and if they do, he will buy their business, asked him where is he going to put the profit, and he said he will invest inside Somalia, and employ local Somalis and pay them good wages, I told him since Somalis can own the business he has in mind he doesn't need to employ them they can set up easily, he said, that is the problem he has with Somalis, very different from other Africans and that is his main concern, very authoritative and not care how British or white you are, that is some of the reasons Somalia will be a heaven for Somalis in few years time, and continued to say even Microsoft and Google in Somalia will be slaves in Somalia and won't be acting like kings as they do in their Nairobi offices!!

Here are my indicative scenarios:

• Half of Somalis in the diaspora will return home permanently within 10 years

• Somalia will have laborers from Asia & Africa to fill the growing market jobs, this will happen on 2018

I see a lot of self validation through the white man syndrome in this essay of yours

Somalia   

SomaliPhilosopher;980650 wrote:
I see a lot of self validation through the white man syndrome in this essay of yours

kkkk :cool:

LOOOL, true, just because some Cadaan in the UK said something that must bake it true. Then again they did predict the collapse of Barre's regime and the animal actions that would happen so maybe he is right :D

Aroori   

nuune;980620 wrote:
MMA, don't worry, Somali Passport will soon be the most expensive one in the world to obtain, the least restrictive one.

Somalia can turn the tables around, in my view, waad arki doontaan, Somalia of today will not be the same of Somalia in 5 years, that is right, 5 years.

okey, that might be of little bit out of the mark for some people, recently when I met a guy from the UK, a white guy who owns some businesses in Kenya and in the Middle East, after long discussion, then came the question about passports, he asked about what is the most expensive passport in the world, I told him Brunai, no he said, I told him Belarus, he said no, he told me it is Kuwait, and Somalia will overtake Kuwait in few years time,

I asked him why he thinks that way, and continued to say that all eyes will be on Somalia for the next 10 years, he continued to say that he is observing the development in Nairobi to get some billions of contracts, his main business core is RAIL & AGRICULTURE, he said that he wants to be the first to develop these areas before anyone else does, and if they do, he will buy their business, asked him where is he going to put the profit, and he said he will invest inside Somalia, and employ local Somalis and pay them good wages, I told him since Somalis can own the business he has in mind he doesn't need to employ them they can set up easily, he said, that is the problem he has with Somalis, very different from other Africans and that is his main concern, very authoritative and not care how British or white you are, that is some of the reasons Somalia will be a heaven for Somalis in few years time, and continued to say even Microsoft and Google in Somalia will be slaves in Somalia and won't be acting like kings as they do in their Nairobi offices!!

• Somalia will have laborers from Asia & Africa to fill the growing market jobs, this will happen on 2018

UTOPIA!!!

Coofle   

Mad_Mullah;980661 wrote:
LOOOL, true, just because some Cadaan in the UK said something that must bake it true. Then again they did predict the collapse of Barre's regime and the animal actions that would happen so maybe he is right
:D

You don't need to predict 1) Every brutal dictator regime have collapsed 2)it was just one prediction they got right.(probability)

Tallaabo   

Coofle;980676 wrote:
You don't need to predict 1) Every brutal dictator regime have collapsed 2)it was just one prediction they got right.(probability)

They did not predict the collapse of the Barre regime as their prediction was made way before Siyad Barre came to power. They predicted the collapse of the Somali state itself at the time of our independence. Therefore, these guys do know a thing or two about how the world is run, because they run it from their capital cities.

Tallaabo   

nuune;980620 wrote:

In what way is the Kuwaiti passport more expensive than the rest Mr nuune? Is it because of the quality of the paper it is made from?:confused:

I think you are missing the point of this article. There is no price tag on national passports unless of course it is in the black market;)

What this article is comparing is the relative usefulness of the world's passports when it comes to the ease of travel and access to all the countries of the world. The British passport(ka cas);) tops the list because the Brits have unfettered access to a staggering 173 countries thanks to the power of the British diplomacy and economic and political influence. The Kuwaiti and Emirati passports are not as good for travelling as those of western countries because those Arab nations despite their enormous wealth are not as influential as the west. Luxembourg is a small country and yet its passport is more important than that of Saudi Arabia thanks to its relationship with the other European and western powers.