Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Having many kids

Safferz   

Oiler;980290 wrote:
There are many that don't exactly follow what media is telling them and following information they're reading from authority figures. In the future if you're using some authority body to back your arguments, please break it down for the skeptics. Thanks
:)

That's not how it works. I have no problem citing figures from UNICEF or the WHO, neither do any of my colleagues or professors. It's not some uncited Wikipedia sentence, it's the United Nations. If you're the one who for some strange reason decides their research is faulty, then the onus is on *you* to show the flaws in the data.

Haatu;980309 wrote:
I don't understand why Safferz is equating poor maternal healthcare with large families. The former is the result of lack of health services due to state collapse. Simply saying "well they should have less kids if there's no health clinics" doesn't solve the problem, it just delays its impacts.

Y'all need to stop reading selectively -- I didn't equate poor maternal health with high birth rate, but there is certainly a correlation.

Oiler   

Safferz;980361 wrote:
That's not how it works. I have no problem citing figures from UNICEF or the WHO, neither do any of my colleagues or professors. It's not some uncited Wikipedia sentence, it's the United Nations. If you're the one who for some strange reason decides their research is faulty, then the onus is on *you* to show the flaws in the data.

I didn't dismiss their research but rather wanted to know more about that research. How was the information/data collected and what methods were used.

fdama   

I only have 2 kids Alhamdullilah. Two boys and that is it. I am a Software Consultant, the wife is currently a housewife getting back to work soon. We have a nice house in a nice neighbourhood, a Mercedes for me and recently a VW for the wife. I send the boys to private, fee paying schools. I also pay for private tuition to ensure their success. We go for holidays abroad twice a year,most recently to Malaysia. I buy for them, what they need, but make sure never to spoil them. You may think we are your typical Western family.

This is the life. You generally cannot have this lifestyle with 5, 6,7+ children. You'll have to buy a bigger house and put them into state schools. Not to mention the headache of running a large household. For get about the holidays too. It's just a holiday, but it adds to the well-being and the bonding of the family The family will generally be happier and the kids will have more of a chance in life than their counterparts who have numerous siblings.

Personally, I detest those men who use their wives as baby-making machines. And worst of all, when they are needed, they are nowhere to be found. And I hate those women who starve their households for the monthly Ayuuto/Hagbad. This is why a lot of Somalis are in the shit here in the UK. Large families, living in inner city ghettos with kids attending some of the worst schools. Its a cruel vicious cycle.

fdama;980456 wrote:
I only have 2 kids Alhamdullilah. Two boys and that is it. I am a Software Consultant, the wife is currently a housewife getting back to work soon. We have a nice house in a nice neighbourhood, a Mercedes for me and recently a VW for the wife. I send the boys to private, fee paying schools. I also pay for private tuition to ensure their success. We go for holidays abroad twice a year,most recently to Malaysia. I buy for them, what they need, but make sure never to spoil them. You may think we are your typical Western family.

This is the life. You generally cannot have this lifestyle with 5, 6,7+ children. You'll have to buy a bigger house and put them into state schools. Not to mention the headache of running a large household. For get about the holidays too. It's just a holiday, but it adds to the well-being and the bonding of the family The family will generally be happier and the kids will have more of a chance in life than their counterparts who have numerous siblings.

Personally, I detest those men who use their wives as baby-making machines. And worst of all, when they are needed, they are nowhere to be found. And I hate those women who starve their households for the monthly Ayuuto/Hagbad. This is why a lot of Somalis are in the shit here in the UK. Large families, living in inner city ghettos with kids attending some of the worst schools. Its a cruel vicious cycle.

war ajar baa kugu daafay meesha. go marry second wife already, do your bit for islam. every man should marry 4 wives at least and each should have 15 kids. ka kac meeshaa, laba cunug ku layne.

Wadani   

fdama;980456 wrote:

You come off as smug. Markuu illaahay kuu yara nimcayay ayaad soomaalida masaakiinta ah yasiddooda sport ka dhigatay.

fdama   

Hobbesian_Brute;980463 wrote:
war ajar baa kugu daafay meesha. go marry second wife already, do your bit for islam. every man should marry 4 wives at least and each should have 15 kids. ka kac meeshaa, laba cunug ku layne.

Crawl back into your cave. Islam says nothing about producing many kids. Whether you have 1 or 15, Alhamdulilah. But who can justify 10 kids when you are dirt poor. Look at those displaced people that you see on TV in Somalia. You generally see a mother and her 10 kids around her. Where is the logic? How can you bring children into this world under those conditions? Have what you can cope with. But of course Wahhabi's like you will never understand.

fdama   

Wadani;980466 wrote:
You come off as smug. Markuu illaahay kuu yara nimcayay ayaad soomaalida masaakiinta ah yasiddooda sport ka dhigatay.

I want Somalis living here in the West to prosper, like I believe I have. My father provided me with the opportunity to have a good education. I'm providing the same for my children, so they can also provide similar to theirs. Why can't Somalis in the UK do better, like the Hindu Indians have, who are well educated and amongst the prosperous communities in the country. On reason,among many, I believe is because of large families. Each child gets less of everything with every new child born in the family. If you look Irish families in the past (not as common today), they were poor, because they were large. Its wasn't unusual to find families of 7 or 8 children. But they were living on the breadline, in abject poverty. Each child will then grow up with this poverty and a sub-standard level of education. Do not tell me that the lack of family planning among Somali communities and the failure of these communities are not correlated. Those who do are in denial.

Reeyo   

Safferz;980089 wrote:
More importantly, very few people can afford to have more than two or three children, yet that doesn't stop our people from overbreeding anyway and ignoring financial planning with the belief that Allah will provide for their hellspawn. I'm sure this is a contibuting factor to why we're generally one of the poorest immigrant groups in every country we settle in.

Allah will provide,

You all sound like you swallowed a whiteman's family guide book. I grow up in a big family and every day I am thankful.

Wadani   

fdama;980473 wrote:
I want Somalis living here in the West to prosper, like I believe I have. My father provided me with the opportunity to have a good education. I'm providing the same for my children, so they can also provide similar to theirs. Why can't Somalis in the UK do better, like the Hindu Indians have, who are well educated and amongst the prosperous communities in the country. On reason,among many, I believe is because of large families. Each child gets less of everything with every new child born in the family. If you look Irish families in the past (not as common today), they were poor, because they were large. Its wasn't unusual to find families of 7 or 8 children. But they were living on the breadline, in abject poverty. Each child will then grow up with this poverty and a sub-standard level of education. Do not tell me that the lack of family planning among Somali communities and the failure of these communities are not correlated. Those who do are in denial.

Ok, I now see where your're coming from. Sorry that I judged you prematurely.

fdama;980456 wrote:

abti,

you seem like a guy who has his head screwed on. halka ka sii waad.

Safferz   

Oiler;980450 wrote:
I didn't dismiss their research but rather wanted to know more about that research. How was the information/data collected and what methods were used.

That's why I linked you to sources from the organizations themselves detailing how they compile their data. I don't work for them, so I don't know the specifics of how they collect information (and every organization will do it differently), I only have a general idea of what statistical/quantitative research entails.

fdama;980456 wrote:

Finally, some sense in this thread.

Reeyo;980474 wrote:
Allah will provide,

You all sound like you swallowed a whiteman's family guide book. I grow up in a big family and every day I am thankful.

Probably the most abused and distorted Islamic belief by Muslims to justify their irresponsibility, as though it's Islam that tells them that faith alone is enough and that life doesn't require planning and foresight.

"Trust in Allah, but tie your camel" - Prophet Muhammad (to a man who left his camel untied and when asked why, said because I trust Allah)

Oiler   

let every man architect of his own fortune. If you want a small family find a a girl that also wants the same, and those that want to have large family find a mate that wants to have a large family. Many of us here are from large families and confess that having a large family has its benefits.

Blessed   

^Well said.

fdama;980473 wrote:
Why can't Somalis in the UK do better, like the Hindu Indians have, who are well educated and amongst the prosperous communities in the country. On reason,among many, I believe is because of large families.

The main reason is because hindu Indians have come to Britain as economic migrants, a significant number of them being educated professionals whereas most Somalis are refugees from a failed state with high illiteracy levels. The Indians have also arrived several decades before the Somalis - so have had time to adjust, integrate etc. It's an unfair comparison to make but Inshaallah, I too hope more Somalis will make best use of the opportunities available to them in this country but you need to understand that it will take time.