Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Having many kids

Tallaabo   

N.O.R.F;980217 wrote:
If it wasn't most of us wouldn't be around today typing into keyboards.

Everything that exists and ever existed in the universe was predestined by Almighty Allah before they we brought into existence. So it does not matter whether you are part of a very large family or the only child of your parents, or whether your birth was planned or came about by accident, your existence on Earth was written down long before you were born.

Tallaabo   

Apophis;980256 wrote:
It's made up stuff, like most social science stats; it isn't astrophysics. Don't buy into the BS that much.

Made up??

Safferz   

Tallaabo;980261 wrote:
Made up??

What, you didn't know all those PhD holding statisticians, demographers, economists and epidemiologists who work for the United Nations and the World Bank just make sh*t up?

Oiler   

Safferz;980253 wrote:
Can you be more specific about why you "don't buy into stats"? Do you have the background in theoretical and applied statistics and other quantitative research methods to debunk what people with PhDs in those fields have compiled and analyzed? I'd love to hear more.

You can look up how individual NGOs and government agencies conduct research and collect data, but to give you an idea, here's
and the
on their methodologies.

Who is yo say I'm not a phd student in chemical engineering? But that's beside the point. Please do tell us how they gathered those stats (specific to those you provided in your previous relpy to Norf)

Safferz   

Oiler;980266 wrote:
Who is yo say I'm not a phd student in chemical engineering? But that's beside the point. Please do tell us how they gathered those stats (specific to those you provided in your previous relpy to Norf)

Because a PhD student in chemical engineering knows better than to dismiss statistical data and the integrity of an entire discipline and the many that rely on it for research methods. I don't have time to do your homework for you (some of us aren't just hypothetical PhD students), go read the links I provided from UNICEF, UNESCO and the World Bank on their methodologies and they will tell you exactly how they've compiled and analyzed their data.

Tallaabo   

Safferz;980263 wrote:
What, you didn't know all those PhD holding statisticians, demographers, economists and epidemiologists who work for the United Nations and the World Bank just make sh*t up?

Lol I know they are all fraudsters who deceive us with tables and graphs constructed out of the thin air:D

Tallaabo   

Safferz;980271 wrote:
Because a PhD student in chemical engineering knows better than to dismiss statistical data and the integrity of an entire discipline and the many that rely on it for research methods. I don't have time to do your homework for you (some of us aren't just hypothetical PhD students), go read the links I provided from UNICEF, UNESCO and the World Bank on their methodologies and they will tell you exactly how they've compiled and analyzed their data.

;):D

Oiler   

Well damn :) , I don't mean to make this about me. My credentials don't really matter here. You made an argument and you used stats to support it - I simply asked for you to enhance your argument, I shouldn't be the one to do the homework here , the onus is on you. You may believe the authority is infallible, but as hard for you to believe there are some that don't buy into the BS (especially true for social sciences work).

Oiler   

There are many that don't exactly follow what media is telling them and following information they're reading from authority figures. In the future if you're using some authority body to back your arguments, please break it down for the skeptics. Thanks :)

Safferz;980223 wrote:
What do you mean by that? Natalism and birth control/family planning are oppositional concepts. That said, you're making family planning sound like some sort of sterilization project, it's simply having the necessary knowledge and agency to make informed decisions about one's reproductive health, like when and how to conceive and when and how to use contraception or other birth control options like breastfeeding to avoid/delay or space out pregnancies.

I meant to say population control rather than birth control. My problem is with those who wish to either enhance or mitigate population growth in Somalia with shallow policies rather than through long term economic and social development, the two must come together in order for the changes to be permanent. I consider maternal health to be a different matter altogether that is more immediate and needs to be addressed regardless of whether it's in the diaspora or Somalia.

The future of Somalia's sovereignty will depend on it having a lean and well educated populace. Geography and climate will always insure that our neighboring countries, Ethiopia in particular, will always be several factors larger than ourselves. Why not capitalize on the already young population of Somalia? I'd rather not see Mogadishu look like Cairo in the future.

Haatu   

I don't understand why Safferz is equating poor maternal healthcare with large families. The former is the result of lack of health services due to state collapse. Simply saying "well they should have less kids if there's no health clinics" doesn't solve the problem, it just delays its impacts.

Having many kids is not an inherent problem. The western world does not foster African practices. Can a society structured around individualism foster child raising? Perhaps thats why such responsibility is delegated to the TV and these prison like schools. Isn't it said it takes a village to raise a kid. And from what I know of the West, there are no villages. Nor do these 'UN groupy, 'democratic' African governments" foster African practices in fact the only thing they foster is compromise. The problem is not too many children. It is trying to forcibly fuse two very incompatible worlds.

Safferz;980263 wrote:

are you saying they makes facts up? please make this clear, baal.

there's an excellent little programme on the BBC's World Service called More or Less. in the past the presenters debunked eternal truths like.....''there are more black men in prison than at university......and the infamous.....''x% of people live on less than $1 a day''. check it out, inabti.

Khayr   

SomaliPhilosopher;980313 wrote:
Having many kids is not an inherent problem. The western world does not foster African practices. Can a society structured around individualism foster child raising? Perhaps thats why such responsibility is delegated to the TV and these prison like schools. Isn't it said it takes a village to raise a kid. And from what I know of the West, there are no villages. Nor do these 'UN groupy, 'democratic' African governments" foster African practices in fact the only thing they foster is compromise. The problem is not too many children. It is trying to forcibly fuse two very incompatible worlds.

Capitalism promotes and supports selfishness. It is good for the economy to have people have less kids so that the system is not overburdened. After all, a person is known as a consumer - first and foremost. So by definition, more consumption means more for the few (the US) and who cares about the rest anyways when you have a new car payment and condo mortgage to make.