Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

The Canada Appreciation Thread

Safferz   

ElPunto;979482 wrote:
This level of boasting is very UN-Canadian! Though it is the best country in the world.

It's something I learned from living in the US :P

nuune   

Alpha Blondy;979402 wrote:
just voted yes.

go canada.

In another thread last year, you were not making those good remarks about Canada, and were calling Canada names like America's top poodle, the Yankii Hortons, and other names like the fortress of cali-beysteen, but what changed, all of a sudden now, you are in love with Canada, maxaa is badaley, abti.

Safferz   

Continued...

Kraft Dinner is our national comfort food

KraftDinner.jpg

We're home of the largest shopping mall in North America

top10-shopping_West-Edmonton-Mall_01.jpg

Singing astronaut Chris Hadfield is Canadian

The Hudson's Bay Company is the oldest company in North America (and once owned 10% of the earth's surface)

HBC+FB3.jpg

Saturdays at 7pm ET is HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA!

Don Cherry has the best suits on television

don-cherry.jpg

We have a great aerospace industry

hi-cseries-bombardier.jpg

Blackberry is Canadian (and is still awesome as far as I'm concerned)

bbry.jpg?w=880

We have a Prime Minister, not a President

555260_10151334636538895_725069904_n.jpg

Canadian literature is the bomb

crtop40-400.jpg

What Safferz forgot to mention is, the rampant crime, stabbings, shootings, drug infested slums in Dixon, police raids, Somali homicides, corrupted cops who like to write bogus tickets, Indians, Pakis, Jamaicans, wanted fugitives from the U.S, and did i mention Somali criminals who shoot at each other.

If that's your thing, than you'd fit right in with 'em.

Safferz   

Nin-Yaaban;979507 wrote:
What Safferz forgot to mention is,
the rampant crime, stabbings, shootings, drug infested slums in Dixon, police raids, Somali homicides, corrupted cops who like to write bogus tickets, Indians, Pakis, Jamaicans, wanted fugitives from the U.S, and did i mention Somali criminals who shoot at each other.

If that's your thing, than you'd fit right in with 'em.

Huh? Canadian cities have some of the lowest crime rates for North American cities of comparable size, hardly "rampant crime," and the overall crime rate in Canada has been steadily on the decrease since the 1970s. We have low income neighbourhoods like Dixon, but nothing that remotely resembles a slum or even an American inner city. And what's wrong with Indians, Pakistanis and Jamaicans?

Safferz;979508 wrote:
Huh? Canadian cities have some of the lowest crime rates for North American cities of comparable size, hardly "rampant crime," and the overall crime rate in Canada has been steadily on the decrease since the 1970s. We have low income neighbourhoods like Dixon, but nothing that remotely resembles a slum or even an American inner city. And what's wrong with Indians, Pakistanis and Jamaicans?

Much of what you said is true, but I think it's arguable that Canada has by far the most violent Somali community in the west. Relative to our population there have been years where the Somali-Canadian homicide rate has reached as high as 24 per 100,000, which is much higher than Chicago's 16 per 100,000.

Blackflash;979545 wrote:
Much of what you said is true, but I think it's arguable that Canada has by far the most violent Somali community in the west. Relative to our population there have been years where
the Somali-Canadian homicide rate has reached as high as 24 per 100,000, which is much higher than Chicago's 16 per 100,000

WOW!

Unfortunately this is what always happens when you transplant cultures based on shame and fear to the West where the predominant factor that keeps people in line is guilt and personal responsibility.

Without a ruthless authority to crack the whip, immigrants from shame and fear based cultures will go ape and cause mayhem like what Somalis are doing in Canada and Middle Easterners are doing in Europe.

Safferz;979508 wrote:

What i have noticed about Canada is, they really go to great pains to appear civilized, mild-mannered polite people to the world. Canada does have crime, but it's just that they don't report it (even to their citizens) so they can keep up their appearance of being crime free society. With the U.S, at least what u see is what you get, and they don't pretend anything. And you also have the right to carry a gun for protection. You don't have that in Canada.

Nin-Yaaban;979564 wrote:
What i have noticed about Canada is, they really go to great pains to appear civilized, mild-mannered polite people to the world. Canada does have crime, but it's just that they don't report it (even to their citizens) so they can keep up their appearance of being crime free society. With the U.S, at least what u see is what you get, and they don't pretend anything. And you also have the right to carry a gun for protection. You don't have that in Canada.

Property and non-violent crime rates are similar in Canada and the United States, but violent crime rates, homicides in particular, have always been several factors higher in the United States.

I agree with your point on self-protection though. I'm not likely to be involved in a violent incident in either countries so the prospect of being better able to protect your property is alluring.

Safferz   

Blackflash;979545 wrote:
Much of what you said is true, but I think it's arguable that Canada has by far the most violent Somali community in the west. Relative to our population there have been years where the Somali-Canadian homicide rate has reached as high as 24 per 100,000, which is much higher than Chicago's 16 per 100,000.

That's a poor point of comparison, since you're isolating one demographic (Somalis in Canada) and comparing it to an entire city's homicide rate. A more accurate comparison would be something like African Americans in Chicago, which would look drastically different (34+ per 100,000). That said, it doesn't excuse that disproportional violence, and I'm at a loss for explaining what's going on with Somali-Canadian boys, because it doesn't make much sense at all.

Nin-Yaaban;979564 wrote:
What i have noticed about Canada is, they really go to great pains to appear civilized, mild-mannered polite people to the world. Canada does have crime,
but it's just that they don't report it (even to their citizens) so they can keep up their appearance of being crime free society.
With the U.S, at least what u see is what you get, and they don't pretend anything. And you also have the right to carry a gun for protection. You don't have that in Canada.

Once again... huh? Is it just your gut feeling that there's a massive Canadian coverup of violent crime, or do you have statistical evidence to back that up? I won't even get started on your point about gun possession in the US, but I'm sure you know that gun culture is part of the reason the US is the most violent country in the Western world.