Sign in to follow this  
Maqane

Somalis Condemn Kenya Mall Attack

Maqane   

On Monday, members of Minnesota’s Somali community condemned the attack. Several groups have called a news conference for 2 p.m. Monday in solidarity with the victims and to warn about the dangers of extremism.

Meanwhile, a Somali woman in Minnesota is worrying about two nieces injured in the attacks. Hodan Hassan of Minnetonka says her 17-year-old and 16-year-old nieces were shopping when the attackers struck. She said the older one is in critical condition with severe leg injuries, while the other was not as seriously hurt. She says they’re Canadian citizens who moved to Nairobi three years ago.

Hassan says it would be sad if Somali-Americans were responsible but she doubts it’s true.

Minnesota Somalis Condemn Kenya Mall Attack Click here to Read More

Maqane   

Click here to watch the video

Kansas City area Somalia natives condemn terrorist attack

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -

About 5,000 Somalia natives have immigrated to the Kansas City area to escape the decades of violence that has rocked their region in Africa.

Somali-Americans interviewed by KCTV5 condemned the attack on a Kenya mall by Al-Shabaab, an Al Qaeda cell based in Somalia. CNN has reported that Americans, including a 27-year-old man with ties to the Kansas City area, are among the terrorists.

The man's name is reportedly Gen Mustafe Noorudiin, which is reportedly a common name. No one in Kansas City has come forward to say they know him.

"All those communities that came here to Kansas City, they fled the subjugations, the suffering and also the violence of Al-Shabaab," aid Somali-American Abdihakim Abdi. "You can never see any resemblance between this community here in Kansas City and also those guys who are doing such bad things in the name of Islam, in the name of Somali people."

Somali-Americans who are practicing Muslims said they are outraged and offended that terrorists are committing despicable acts in the name of Islam.

"Killing innocent people, that is not Islamic culture. It is not Islamic teaching," said Farah Abdi, the former director of the now-defunct Somali Foundation. "It is a terrorist act."

Like many Somali refugees, Abdi sought refuge first in Kenya before coming to the United States. He has been reaching out to family and friends to make sure they are all OK.

"We're really in a very panicked situation. We're really at a tough time," he said.

Maqane   

Link to the source

Mogadishu residents condemn terrorist attack at Nairobi shopping mall

MOGADISHU, Somalia (KON) — Mogadishu residents have today expressed condolences to the families of the victims of the attack against a shopping centre in Nairobi, Keydmedia Online reports.

Teaser Image Mogadishu residents condemn terrorist attack at Nairobi shopping mall

On Saturday, between 10 to 15 gunmen burst into Westgate shopping centre, a popular destination for expatriates, throwing grenades and summarily executing shoppers. The militant group al-Shabab has since claimed responsibility for the attack.

The deadly attack drew condemnation by some Somalis in Mogadishu, who described it as a cowardly act of terrorism:

Mohamed - taxi driver:

“I am concerned about the loss of life and consider this an act of terrorism. Al-Shabab is harmful to all East African countries and poses a threat to all of humanity.”

Khadijo- meat vendor:

“I haven’t heard of such a cowardly act against innocent people shopping at a mall. I’m sorry about what is happening to our neighbors in Kenya.”

Nur - hotel receptionist:

"I have been following on television the attack and siege of Westgate mall in Nairobi since Saturday. To me, this attack by al-Shabab looked no different than the many others in Somalia, especially in Mogadishu."

Ibrahim - currency broker:

“I, in Somalia, know only too well the human cost of violence like this heinous attack. Our prayers today are with our brothers and sisters in Kenya. We also send a strong message of solidarity to the Kenyan government and its people.”

Hawo - shop owner:

“This heartless attack against defenseless civilians, including innocent children and women inside the mall, is entirely unacceptable. We stand shoulder to shoulder with Kenya in its time of grief for the lives lost and the many injured.”

Yussuf - barber:

“I am shocked and outraged at the tragic destruction of innocent lives. I have already sent my sympathy and support to the people of Kenya, especially those who lost their loved ones in the ruthless attack in Nairobi shopping mall."

Kenyan police and army units have surrounded Westgate mall, where the gunmen remain holed up with an unknown number of hostages. The death toll from the attack currently stands at 68, with an additional 175 reported wounded.

Keydmedia Online - Mogadishu

Maqane   

Safferz;979157 wrote:
What do we have to apologize for?

Nothing.. but we 're condemning this heartless attack against defenseless civilians in the name of Somalia/Somalis.

Safferz   

Abbaas;979160 wrote:
Nothing.. but we 're condemning this heartless attack against defenseless civilians in the name of Somalia/Somalis.

Right, which is an act of apology and an acceptance that we're responsible for the actions of a few lunatics as a collective. Embarrassing, really.

ElPunto   

Safferz;979165 wrote:
Right, which is an act of apology and an acceptance that we're responsible for the actions of a few lunatics as a collective. Embarrassing, really.

Condemnation does not equal apology. Obama had condemned this - is he apologizing for it? Nope.

And let's face it. Somalis are associated with a major and sensational terrorist attack. You gotta distance your community from it - and if it means apologizing so be it. It certainly isn't the time to be defensive.

ElPunto;979170 wrote:
Condemnation does not equal apology. Obama had condemned this - is he apologizing for it? Nope.

And let's face it. Somalis are associated with a major and sensational terrorist attack. You gotta distance your community from it - and if it means apologizing so be it. It certainly isn't the time to be defensive.

+ 1.

Safferz   

ElPunto;979170 wrote:

Your comparison doesn't work here -- Obama is a head of state, condemning an attack is part of his job as president and a leader in the international community. On the other hand, a community like ours (and Muslims more generally) is expected to condemn terrorism because it's assumed that terrorism is *our* collective problem and every Muslim is a latent supporter of terrorism that must publicly disavow their connections and (assumed) support in order to be trusted. We don't have the privilege of being individuals in this society because islamophobia and xenophobia treats us as a monolith, one where the acts of a few become the acts of an entire community.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just frustrated with Somalis (and Muslims) for falling into this racist trap.

ElPunto   

^Safferz - You know - in general I agree with you and I understand your frustration but given the scale of this - we can't be silent. And these folks use Islam as the motivation for their bloodthirsty murder - other Muslims have to speak out against it. And as Somalis - our community faces extra hurdles that require be tackled if reports of foreign passport holding Somalis are involved in this attack prove to be true.

Safferz;979176 wrote:
Your comparison doesn't work here -- Obama is a head of state, condemning an attack is part of his job as president and a leader in the international community. On the other hand, a community like ours (and Muslims more generally) is expected to condemn terrorism because it's assumed that terrorism is *our* collective problem and every Muslim is a latent supporter of terrorism that must publicly disavow their connections and (assumed) support in order to be trusted. We don't have the privilege of being individuals in this society because islamophobia and xenophobia treats us as a monolith, one where the acts of a few become the acts of an entire community.

I'm not being defensive, I'm just frustrated with Somalis (and Muslims) for falling into this racist trap.

Interesting perspective.

Tallaabo   

It seems all the OGs came out to night. I can count several in this thread. Is it the full moon or a population explosion in certain parts of our land, I've got no clue:confused: Waryaa Apo go to bed and leave Saffy alone:mad:

Safferz   

Apophis;979180 wrote:
@ the woman: A bunch airy fairy liberal nonsense with no life outside the mind of the well heeled middle class. Such idiotic thinking doesn't work in the real world. You are not more intelligent that those in the video. Their condemnation is just and apt (and reasonable to anyone who can think practically).

I have yet to see you contribute anything remotely intelligent or of substance to an SOL thread in my time here. Hop off.

ElPunto;979178 wrote:
^Safferz - You know - in general I agree with you and I understand your frustration but given the scale of this - we can't be silent. And these folks use Islam as the motivation for their bloodthirsty murder - other Muslims have to speak out against it. And as Somalis - our community faces extra hurdles that require be tackled if reports of foreign passport holding Somalis are involved in this attack prove to be true.

We're going to have to agree to disagree then. I don't see anything productive in these theatrics, it does little to change perceptions of Muslims or get at the heart of why extremism exists (a necessary precondition for ending it, and with that its association with our community).