Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Raafka already started in Islii

I can confirm that there is no qafaal in islii right now. But the signs are there and we are expecting a big qafaal anytime now!

They have been saying that all the problems are due to islii so they are preparing to do a security sweep soon. They are particularly looking for people with European and US passport so if you are planning to come to Kenya anytime soon you will need to change your plans and wait until the dust subsides.

Am at 12 street while i write this....!

Khadafi   

Westgate attack: Kenya's 'Little Mogadishu' fears backlash

Eastleigh is home to both Kenyan Somalis and migrants from Somalia

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A cloud of anxiety has engulfed the Somali-dominated Eastleigh suburb of Nairobi as the residents await the outcome of the standoff at the Westgate shopping mall. But many are also angry at the attack and rallying round to help the victims, like other Kenyans.

Eastleigh is a suburb in the east of the Kenyan capital predominantly inhabited by Somalis, drawn from both Kenya and the Somalia, that is popularly referred to as "Little Mogadishu".

It is a big business hub where East African traders come for shopping and is considered to be one of the leading markets in the region.

It is normally a bustling place with everyone from hawkers, retailers and open market traders engaged in various activities to eke out a living.

Following the claim by Somali Islamist group al-Shabab that it was responsible for the shopping mall's attack, some Eastleigh residents are apprehensive that they may be targeted by other Kenyans.

A year ago, there were ethnic clashes between Somalis and other Kenyan communities after a minibus was blown up by militants in Eastleigh, killing at least seven people.

According to Abdirizak Nur Ibrahim, a young Somali who has lived in Nairobi for more than 15 years as a refugee, life has changed drastically for many Somali nationals.

Ibrahim says he fled Somalia to seek a safe haven in Kenya.

"I don't know what to say, why are they doing this to such innocent people, unarmed people - those attackers are not only enemies to non-Muslims but to humanity," he says.

"I condemn the attack and I wish that other communities will understand that we are against this ideology and share the pain with them."

Another Eastleigh resident, Mohamed Ali, said he was concerned that should any of the attackers turn out to be Somali nationals or having emanated from Somalia, the community could be targeted.

He thinks the harassment could come from either members of the public or Kenyan authorities, who have previously been accused of harassing ethnic Somalis as they search for Islamist militants.

The chairman of Eastleigh District Business Association, Hassan Guled, says that they are waiting for the siege at the shopping mall to come to an end to gauge the reaction of the rest of the Kenyan community.

Asked whether there is a possibility of retaliation against ethnic Somalis, Mr Guled said: "We don't expect that but we can't rule out criminal elements taking advantage of the situation to harass members of the Somali community".

The businessman said no community should be targeted for the attack on Westgate shopping mall because it was an act of terrorism and an international crime that is not confined to any community or nation.

The community has joined the rest of the nation to show their solidarity with the victims of the Westgate attack, and a centre has been established for blood donation and another for collecting money, food and other necessities to help those affected.

Kamukunji Member of Parliament Yusuf Hassan, a Kenyan Somali, was injured in an attack that killed two people in Eastleigh last December. The MP was holding a discussion with his constituents after evening prayers at Hidaya Mosque when a man hurled a grenade at them, injuring nine people.

Mr Hassan suffered a fractured leg and now uses a wheelchair.

The attack on the Eastleigh MP sparked violent protests, with youths barricading roads with burning tyres.

Kenya sent its troops to Somalia two years ago to fight al-Shabab after the group was involved in the abduction of tourists and aid workers from Kenya's coast and the Dadaab refugee camp, home to hundreds of thousands of Somali refugees in Kenya.

The soldiers have since been re-hatted and are part of the 18,000-strong African Union (AU) force supporting the UN-backed government trying to establish control of Somalia.

Are you in Nairobi? Have you been involved in helping the victims? Send us your stories using the form below.

Source: BBC

what's this i hear about 3 different types of ''Somali-Kenyan"?

1. the Somalilanders who accompanied Lord Mountbatten on his great expedition in the late 1890s to never return. apparently, they settled in Eastleight first. sort of like dirta waqooyi ee Kenya. 4th to 5th generation. close to extinction, these days.

2. villagers from Garissa and other provincial towns. discovered Nairobi in 1998.

3. rich HAG folks with serious dosh to blow. they live in the posh Roda and Hurlingham surburbs. discovered Nairobi post 2006.

there might be others. i don't know.

are the Kenyan authorities using a criteria to deport folks mise they see all Somalis as Somalis? :P

Alpha Blondy;979346 wrote:

1. the Somalilanders who accompanied Lord Mountbatten on his great expedition in the late 1890s to never return. apparently, they settled in Eastleight first. sort of like dirta waqooyi ee Kenya. 4th to 5th generation. close to extinction, these days.

2. villagers from Garissa and other provincial towns. discovered Nairobi in 1998.

3. rich HAG folks with serious dosh to blow. they live in the posh Roda and Hurlingham surburbs. discovered Nairobi post 2006.

are the Kenyan authorities using a criteria to deport folks mise they see all Somalis as Somalis?
:P

4. those who were born in kenya whose parents originally settled in east africa seeking asylum from the SB regime( 70's and 80's ) - aka sijuis. these are the best somalis imo, very urbane, educated and unlike the dirta waqooyi still keep their ethnic identity but loyal kenyans nevertheless.

Safferz   

Alpha Blondy;979346 wrote:

are the Kenyan authorities using a criteria to deport folks mise they see all Somalis as Somalis?
:P

Also the seamen and various other Somalis working for the colonial government, from the former British Somaliland.

Wadani   

Hobbesian_Brute;979440 wrote:
4. those who were born in kenya whose parents originally settled in east africa seeking asylum from the SB regime( 70's and 80's ) - aka sijuis. these are the best somalis imo, very urbane, educated and
unlike the dirta waqooyi still keep their ethnic identity
but loyal kenyans nevertheless.

lool @ this fool for comparing people who've been in Kenya only 20 some odd years to the Isa@q sujuis who are now 4th or 5th generation Kenyans. I personally know many Somalilander sujuis who still retain their dhaqan and af-Soomaali much better than the 'say wallah' generation in the qurbaha who've lost it all within one generation. Some of these sujui's are actually more cultured than those back home because they've made it a priority to learn the traditional Somali folk dances, preserve traditional wedding practices etc.

Haatu   

Wadani;979449 wrote:
lool @ this fool for comparing people who've been in Kenya only 20 some odd years to the Isa@q sujuis who are now 4th or 5th generation Kenyans. I personally know many Somalilander sujuis who still retain their dhaqan and af-Soomaali much better than the say 'wallahi generation' in the qurbaha who've lost it all within one generation. Some of these sujui's are actually more cultured than those back home because they've made it a priotrity to the learn the traditional Somali folk dances, preserve traditional wedding practices etc.

Cambuulo's script has obviously never met one with their constant "naa dee heblaayo, shafbeelnay inanka roodhi inoogu d!r"". :D

Alpha, villagers? 1998?

Wadani   

Hobbesian_Brute;979463 wrote:
Wadani your too sensitive, i just restated what alpha had said, but alpha is from your clan and so he gets a pass somaha.
;)

Abti, I'm a transcendent Somali in the spirit of our dearly missed sage Chimera ee sidaa ula soco.

Juxa   

Few raids in London too. Many were families of boys currently on extended holiday back home. All questioned over their whereabouts.

Police took laptops and mobile phones.

Allow sahal amuraha

Alpha is correct, you were incarcerated in your villages and under curfew as late the 2000's run aan isu sheegno haatu. reer NFD have a long way to go in their mentality towards the state, xaga reer magaalnimada. it shows even in you, despite all the education and all these years in the west.:P