Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

The First Year of Hassan Sheikh Mahmoud’s Presidency

Miyir   

Author is not confused is the constitution that says clearly the government's executive is the PM same time elects President to run the country:mad:

Samafal   

Horta why did not Somalis go for President and Vice president structure. I am sure I have seen a draft to that effect and don't know what changed. For example before the election the president would pick his VP in advance and people would vote for duos rather than one man having the monopoly on everything like what is happening now. It would make sure the politicians do not pick their cronies and lame ducks to have monopoly on power and forces president to compromise.

This structure seems to be working for the countries where there are major ethnic/sectarian groups competing for power. For example, in Kenya, Kenyatta picked his arch enemy from the other side to win the election and hence compromise. Nigeria is in same situation. I think its time we look into this structure.