Sign in to follow this  
Khadafi

What went to perfect in Eritrea but so bad in kilil 5? More rants.

Khadafi   

I invited was invited to a dinner today by a dear friend to me, an engineer by profession He has always been one of those friends you could talk hours without getting bored.. We talked about memories and things that friends do. As we are both married we talked bout how we in our younger days would exchange the phone numbers or the msn of loose but sweet xalimos. I reminded him of an incident when he wanted to be alone in my apartment and I refused, I said this loudly and h quickly pinched me because his wife was making the tea in the kitchen. I hope she did not hear my comment. I know ho women can influence men's choice of friends. Anaaba dad si xoog liga reebay.

While I am from Mogadishu my friend was born and raised deep in the somali region of Ethiopia. He knew that i wanted t go Mogadishu for Ramadan this year but I could not because of personal reasons. But my friend with his chain-smoking beyzaani attitude said he could fast in Yurub so he went to Somali region of Ethiopia. He told me about a lot of developments but he also said that the region in comparison with other regions of Ethiopia was the lest developed. He also noticed that federal structure of Ethiopia was a theater but I told him with a firm conviction that this was not new news. Everyone knew this but he then replied " Laakin Gaadifyow, you get a strange feeling when you see all the yoth depressed and having a feeling that they have no future in a countrey that they feel they do not belong to". Becouse of his academical background he quickly noticed that the universaties in Ethiopia was in Amharic and that somalis in that region was one of those ethnic groups that never bother to learn amharic. In other words he described a people that faced Soomaliya and Keenya for buisness and education then in Ethiopia. Without being melo-dramatic some of friends say I am that's the quote that shocked me, What's really happening in that region and why have the regime in Addis closed the whole region from investors and even from human rights groups?. The dinner went fine and we drifted away from politics. He told me that after the afur their were long khat-sessions and that he enjoyed himself. I then asked him a rather private question but he then quickly again pinched me. I went home and I got home and parked my car I saw my neighbor a very short Eritrean man, I greeted him and felt some joy looking down on him (literally because of his shortness). I love that I am tall and feel exited when I stand in-front of a short guy! Yaab maahinow! ;) Try it out.

I greeted my wife and reflected about the day The great food my friends wife prepared and how his trip was. I then remembered my short Eritrean neighbor. Despite his people being short and only 4 million his people archived liberation and defeated an army that Somalis in the region could not. So what went wrong? Who am I looking down on that short man when his other short comrades achieved something tall somalis did not

Nin walbo xornimadiisa asagaa aa gacantiisa ku haayo. The desire for freedom lies within the individual. Enough said but a perfect example that our somali brothers in Jigjiga doolow and Dire Dawa could have in their struggle is how a small band of Eritrean hard-core well trained political educated guerrillas defeated and humiliated one of the best armed governments of Africa.

The Eritrean had their luck of history (mengistu lost the support from Moscow in 1991 while the somalis in kilil 5 lost or got engaged in a vicious Somali civil war in Somalia) but still (Mengistu) was not able to defeat the EPLF early 80-ties. Note that the EPLF was composed by muslim eritreans (ELF) and christian tigrayans. They were from different ethnic backgrounds and some did not even have a common language to communicate within themselves. They of course did not want to use the hated Amharic. While the EPLF regrouped and repelled the offensive mengistu conducted the somalis under WSLF or ONLF or what ever name was not successful in liberating one inch of that land.

Some would in hurry answer that the TPLF and EPLF worked together and that is why Eritrea got it's independence. Isayas and Meles were both from the same ethnic group. Well this might be true but the same appliedto the WSLF at that time, They were in alliance with the soomali aabow or Oromo liberation front and Afar liberation front.. So using this as an arguement is not valid.

The solers from Somali region in Ethiopia have some serious questions to answer, . My personal theory is that Jaale Siyaad (alle ha u naxariisto) intervened so roughly that the somalis in the region never had a chance regroup themselves decide their destiny. After the defeat in 1978 they simply went to Mogadishu, why fight when you had your Somali brothers in Somalia you could flee to? We have a banadiri proverb that goes like , nin mininkiisa meel ku haynin maxaas dad u sheega?.

But one question remains that I asked earlier, what went so perfectly good in Eritrea but so wrong in Dire Dawa and Jigjiga. Maybe Abtigiis Zack or others could put their comment on this issue, kilinka ayaamahan maxaa ka socdo?

First of all the Eritreans fought while the Habesha Ethiopian groups fought as well. So the falling government had two fights to battle. Oromos and Afars can't be taken seriously, the Afars are desert people that don't fight and the Oromos are peasants. They are by far the largest group in Ethiopia and could easily take over. Yet they prefer to traffic themselves to Bosaso and then Yemen. Also read this:

he Italians annexed the region to Italian Somaliland in 1936 after their conquest of Ethiopia. Following their conquest of Italian East Africa, the British sought to let the Ogadeyn be unified with British Somaliland and the former Italian Somaliland, to realize Greater Somalia which was supported by many ****** Somalis.[8] Ethiopia unsuccessfully pleaded before the London Conference of the Allied Powers to gain the ****** and Eritrea in 1945, but their persistent negotiations[9][10][11] and influence from the USA eventually persuaded the British in 1948 to abandon all of the Ogadeyn except for the Haud, and a corridor called the Reserved Area stretching from the Haud to French Somaliland (modern Djibouti). The British returned these last parts to Ethiopia in 1954.[12]

Khadafi   

Mad_Mullah;977769 wrote:
First of all the Eritreans fought while the Habesha Ethiopian groups fought as well. So the falling government had two fights to battle. Oromos and Afars can't be taken seriously, the Afars are desert people that don't fight and the Oromos are peasants. They are by far the largest group in Ethiopia and could easily take over. Yet they prefer to traffic themselves to Bosaso and then Yemen. Also read this:

]

Mad Mullah, historical facts did not answer the question. Meesha wax lee ka jiro. In order to be effective we need critical thinking and feedback. Been yaanan lisku sheegin.

Saalax   

What went wrong is the WSLF got involved in dirty politics, they were fighting the SNM in the Somali Galbeed much of the 80s, so they lost track of their goals and instead settled for fighting for Siad Bare which of course ended up bad for them. SNM liberated Somaliland, while the WSLF lost track of its goals. So that is what went wrong and of course the fact Siad Bare sold them out in the deal with Mengistu in Djibouti.

Then again look at Eritrea today - one of the worst dictatorships on the planet -- I mean you need to pay tax whilst living abroad and you need government permission to buy a phone.

There are many Eritrean refugees filling camps in Eastern Sudan - Eritreans dying in Libya and Eritreans being cut up and their organs sold in Sinai/Egypt. So they went from bad to worse. Not really an improvement.

Tallaabo   

Khadafi;977768 wrote:
I reminded him of an incident when he wanted to be alone in my apartment and I refused, I said this loudly and h quickly pinched me because his wife was making the tea in the kitchen. I hope she did not hear my comment. I know ho women can influence men's choice of friends. Anaaba dad si xoog liga reebay.

That is adultery:mad: He should be stoned to death.

Khadafi;977768 wrote:
I love that I am tall and feel exited when I stand in-front of a short guy! Yaab maahinow!
;)
Try it out.

You must be a very short man yourself:D

Tallaabo   

Saalax;977780 wrote:
What went wrong is the WSLF got involved in dirty politics, they were fighting the SNM in the Somali Galbeed much of the 80s, so they lost track of their goals and instead settled for fighting for Siad Bare which of course ended up bad for them. SNM liberated Somaliland, while the WSLF lost track of its goals. So that is what went wrong and of course the fact Siad Bare sold them out in the deal with Mengistu in Djibouti.

They screwed up. Instead of opposing Siyaad Barre and his regime and helping keep the Somali Republic together and the Somali people free of tribalism for their own benefit, they made everything worse and literally destroyed the nation that could have protected them.

Tallaabo;977811 wrote:
They screwed up. Instead of opposing Siyaad Barre and his regime and helping keep the Somali Republic together and the Somali people free of tribalism for their own benefit, they made everything worse and literally destroyed the nation that could have protected them.

lol. Siyad Barre was what kept the nation together. Proof: Look what happened as soon as he left. HAG started slaughtering people in Xamar and Landers made their own civilized country. They helped him and the country collapsed and if they didn't help him the country would#ve still collapsed only a lot sooner.

The role of the UWSLF in the civil war is greatly exaggerated.

Tallaabo   

Mad_Mullah;977833 wrote:
lol. Siyad Barre was what kept the nation together. Proof: Look what happened as soon as he left. HAG started slaughtering people in Xamar and Landers made their own civilized country. They helped him and the country collapsed and if they didn't help him the country would#ve still collapsed only a lot sooner.

The role of the UWSLF in the civil war is greatly exaggerated.

The Somali nation was not perfect but was united for a common goal when Siyaad Barre showed up. So the idea that Siyaad held the nation together is baseless. Indeed it was his policy of alienating all others but his D clan which led to the situation we are in.

Tallaabo   

Also had Siyaad Barre not been tribalist in his policy to maintain his rule but instead just used ruthless men from all clans to control the nation, there would have been no SNM or USC. However, we would probably have had popular and all inclusive uprisings like those in Egypt and Tunisia and the Somali nation would be spared the disintegration and the terrible fate which it.

Khadafi   

The thread was an open discussion for serious discussion, not a pie throwing game.

Tallaabo here is an old video/documentary about the in early 1980, It shows how the guerrillas had their own medical clinics, schools and marxist training political educational programs. Women played a central part of the liberation fighters. I am not eulogizing a Tigree movement but they did it with no formal state based support (Somalia ofcourse supported them , mostly by giving it's leaders diplomatic passports). But something went wrong in other parts of Ethiopia. The struggle died down in the east. Why?

Because the Eritreans had nowhere to go - it was stand or get slaughtered. OG's however had a home in Xamar all the way to Kismayo and even Garissa.

If there was no Somalia - and OG was next to the sea - the same would've probably happened.

Tallaabo   

Mad_Mullah;977874 wrote:
Because the Eritreans had nowhere to go - it was stand or get slaughtered. OG's however had a home in Xamar all the way to Kismayo and even Garissa.

If there was no Somalia - and OG was next to the sea - the same would've probably happened.

Unfortunately the OGs cared more about propping up Siyaad's tyrannical regime and fighting their fellow Somalis in the North than fighting for freedom from Ethiopian rule.

Tallaabo   

^ No the OGs were fighting them alongside Siyaad's baboons. The refugees who fled the genocide were settled in Dulcad, Daroor, and other villages owned by the Duriyada of Ethiopia. Nowhere, did the OGs welcomed those refugees. But the Duriyada refugees held no grudges against their big-footed brothers and started trading with them. So maybe you saw some of them trading in Wardeer, Dhagax Buur, Qabri Dehar, and other OG villages and thought that they were being given a free launch:D