Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Somaliland: “Egal Airport Meets with Our Safety Standards”-Ethiopian Airlines

Somaliland: “Egal Airport Meets with Our Safety Standards”-Ethiopian Airlines

By: Yusuf M Hasan

HARGEISA (Somalilandsun) – The Ethiopian airlines has officially denied alleged poor standards at Egal Airport as the cause pertaining to its suspension of flights to somaliland.

This is according to an official statement submitted to Somalilandsun and Dawan newspapers signed by Mr. Biniyam Demssie a Public relations officer at Ethiopian airlines headquarters at Bole airport Addis Ababa.

"The Runway and other airport facilities at Egal airport were inspected by our technical team and were found all to be in order and met our requirements to land our Boeing 737 aircraft following which Ethiopian operated B737 to Hargeisa" Said Mr. Demssie

The airlines PRO who was reacting to an article published by Somalilandsun titled "Ethiopian Airlines, Egal Airport, Ministry of Aviation and Stranded Passengers Saga" in which it had been alleged that the withdrawal of flights top Somaliland by the regional carrier was because "Egal airport does not meet Ethiopian airlines safety standards.

nuune   

^^ Nobody si ready to provide such details, and if provided by third party or by the said stranded people, the likes of Alpha things we are anti-Somaliland.

No other reason other than what the stranded passengers have said, with no compensation to their tickets, and the withdrawal of Ethiopian Airlines from Hargeisa Airport since they made that official flight some weeks ago.

Ibtisam   

The Ethiopia National Security Agency advised ET to pull out immediately due to a unspecified security risk. Upon ET meeting with NSA on Friday it transpired that the security risk they have been pulled out for is according to the NSA "posed by incomplete airport barrier and rumors of planes not being able to take off safely due to length of airstrip hence endangering Ethiopian Nationals". ET has submitted their technical assessment and the report of the independent inspectors of Egal airport- they have also argued that it is not NSA role to comment on technicalities, or pull airlines out without assessing information from experts and ET has taken all the necessary steps to ensure safety of passengers and ET nationals.

Needless to say it has been a little embarrassing for NSA and now they are dragging their feet saying there are other security issues also including senior official links to Al-shabab- which should clear up soon as it is NSA just covering their a*ss. We are expect ET to start flying again soon as NSA gives the clear.

ET is providing refunds, reimbursing cancelled tickets or lost connections for all passengers affected.

Ibtisam   

They can't, till NSA finish their song and dance about security issues- al shabab and senior governmental figures with links to Al-shabab.

Ethiopian Airlines and the Ethiopian Government never talked about it ,, officially.

The rest are speculations .... and I enjoy reading them anyway :D

nuune   

^^ Well JB, you are our GATEWAY to Somaliland and Ibti too, minus that Alpha guy who is LOST in the jungle, so we believe everything you guys say regarding sensitive information.

Thanks Ibti for the update, the length of the runway I raised that point long time ago as I knew 2.5km was not enough for take off for the 787-800 Jet.

Tallaabo   

nuune;977808 wrote:
^^ Well
JB
, you are our GATEWAY to Somaliland and
Ibti
too, minus that
Alpha
guy who is LOST in the jungle, so we believe everything you guys say regarding sensitive information.

Thanks
Ibti
for the update, the length of the runway I raised that point long time ago as I knew 2.5km was not enough for take off for the 787-800 Jet.

Nuune will you please keep your mouth shut as it seems the NSA of Ethiopia reads your comments in SOL.:D How else would they hear the "rumours" about the length of the runway?

nuune   

lol, I campaign for Bebera to be the main hub, and leave Hargeisa alone, only thing needed to have a proper road linking between Berbera-Hargeisa that makes the whole journey less than 40 minutes or so,. a proper highway system.

Berbera International airport just needs small things to renovate, even Russian Spaceships used to land here, waryaa Ilaah yaqaano, maxaa Berbera loo nacayaa, 10kaa Million Berbera hadii la galin lahaa oo qumaati loo galiyo lacagtaa Berbera Airport wuxuu noqon lahaa East Africa's best airport, and a hub for major airlines connecting worldwide, laakin aawey hee, aawey hee....

Tallaabo   

^ Yes renovating and putting all the resources in Berbera makes sense to me and to a lot of other folks but then we have a government in Hargeisa which does not want to commute over 180 KM when going abroad.

nuune   

Those government officials can be transported using small planes, but if Alpha doesn't like to travel to Berbera Airport what hope do we have for those officials, it is tragic.

Berbera Airport all the way, last time I used Berbera Airport was 1982gii, we were a group of secondary school students on their final year attending a science fair in Hargeisa.