Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Genel Energy’s Departure From Somaliland And The Reasons Behind It

Che -Guevara;976637 wrote:
Mogadishu is a bogeyman for some in Northern Somalia. This is internal politics and nothing to do with Xamar.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Meesha geeljiriyaal iska nacnacleynaayo oo qiireysan soo saftay ee aawey gabdhihii? Magaalada hal gabar aragtideeda dhiibato ma joogto miyaa. I wasted listening all these geeljiriyaal, expecting mid hadal quman dhiibto. Waa wada qiireysanyihiin.

Daqane   

Ask not for whom the bell tolls it tolls for ictirafers every where, love how many twists and turns of spin has occurred from this thread, everything from we told them to leave, to it was their attempt at cajoling us, or now they went because of a bomb blast in far off mogadishu, if mogadishu could have such effects due to a single explosion with 10 explosions aar baa somaliland mapka laga waaya baa?

Where is garoodi's take on this, ninkaasi horta waa 100 xininiyood, but I would like to know what rockeffelers fantastic technicolor company withdrawing from somaliland is going to take the new kurdistans dreams to?

P.S I know something are emotional issues but do people still not get that projects like these or the proposed bollore port project, or the german investors in somaliland coal e.t.c will not occur if there are no project insurance and finance facilities available, all of these predicated on a recognized entity existing? In the search of aqoonsi reality of every form has been ignored and now basic finance regulations are to be twisted?

fact is that the British pressured by Shell & BP.Genel along with Tesla(doing the seismic work )are still in Burao.Their offices run by locals & their equipment intact.Word is that above British giants wana take ova & negotiations will soon start in London.

Tallaabo   

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;976790 wrote:
Meesha geeljiriyaal iska nacnacleynaayo oo qiireysan soo saftay ee aawey gabdhihii? Magaalada hal gabar aragtideeda dhiibato ma joogto miyaa. I wasted listening all these geeljiriyaal, expecting mid hadal quman dhiibto. Waa wada qiireysanyihiin.

Waad iska hadashay saaxiib. These guys have spoken well and intelligently and put their arguments across with eloquence. Not only have they expressed their disappointment at the abrupt departure of the energy company but they also questioned their own government's and fellow citizen's role in this debacle and demanded any future negotiations with foreign firms be done with transparency and accountability. You don't find such balanced, opinionated, and open-minded populace elsewhere in the Somali speaking world.

Carafaat   

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324549004579064680710758254.html

Genel Pulls Out Somaliland Staff

By JUSTIN SCHECK And ALEXIS FLYNN CONNECT

ANKARA —
Anglo-Turkish oil company Genel Energy GENL.LN -0.27% PLC has started pulling its employees out of northern Somalia following a sudden spike in violence in the volatile Horn of Africa nation, the company said Monday.

"In the face of a deteriorating security situation we are temporarily suspending our seismic operations," said a Genel spokesman.

Somaliland authorities weren't immediately available for comment.

Genel's decision to halt its early-stage oil exploration campaign in Somaliland, a breakaway northern region noted for its relative stability, comes in the wake of a twin bombing Saturday in Mogadishu that killed 20 people.

A car bomb and a suicide attacker struck a restaurant in Somalia's capital in the worst violence since an assault on a United Nations compound in June. The Somali militant group al-Shabaab, which has struck Mogadishu multiple times in recent months, claimed responsibility for the attack.

Helmed by former BP BP.LN -0.08% PLC Chief Executive Tony Hayward, London-listed Genel began prospecting for oil in Somaliland after acquiring a set of licenses in the area last year.

It doesn't produce any crude oil in Somaliland, whose decision to grant exploration rights to companies like Genel has incurred the wrath of Somalia's recently elected central government.

Mogadishu maintains that any licensing of oil exploration is the sole responsibility of the federal government. However, Somaliland — which built up a degree of autonomy during two decades of civil war — says that it has the right to attract investment in the areas that it controls.

Write to Justin Scheck at
and Alexis Flynn at

So the reason Genel pulled out is because of a car explosion in Mogadishu, which is more then 1.000 km away from the drilling site.

Carafaat   

burahadeer;976811 wrote:
fact is that the British pressured by Shell & BP.Genel along with Tesla(doing the seismic work )are still in Burao.Their offices run by locals & their equipment intact.Word is that above British giants wana take ova & negotiations will soon start in London.

You might be right. It seems that Genel was pressured or bought. Such pressure could only have come from the British authorities.

May be the reason that they came in London is related to this issue

WASIIRADA ARIMAHA DABADA SOMALILAND IYO WASIIRKA MACDANTA IYO TAMARKA OO SOO GAADHAY MAGAALADA LONDON

d11.jpg

why the fuss!!!....i thought you guys were dead against oil expolration as it was a "curse" :(

oh yeah....my mistake, that only applied when it was in puntland ;)

hypocrites :)

Carafaat   

Burn Notice;976981 wrote:
why the fuss!!!....i thought you guys were dead against oil expolration as it was a "curse"
:(

oh yeah....my mistake, that only applied when it was in puntland
;)

hypocrites
:)

Burnt Notice,

I was and still am against oil exploration on the Somali peninsula(Somaliland, Puntland, Somalia and even in the Somali region of Ethiopia). Because you need a political consensus, framework, strong and effective administrations in the region that can reap the most benefit for their people. And lets be honest the Somali Governments(even though there are differences in terms of security and effectiveness of the administrations).haven't yet matured enough to manage these kind of oil explorations and that can deal and form a strong counterpower to the interest of these multi billion dollar oil companies.

This latest development of Genel pulling out its staff suddenly and unilaterally without consulting the Somaliland government, is proof of that. Clearly, the balance of power should have been the other way around.

Carafaat though i agree in part, if we were to wait for that to happen it could be 2033.

Under the Federal system states should be able to manage thier resources with a proportion of royalites going to the federal governement. I can't speak for the Genel contract but the Puntland govt managed to get a very equitable (in comparison to other PSA's around the world) agreement with Range/Africa oil. They managed to drill two wells without an issue and i still believe the results have been "hidden" pending resolution on who has authority.

Ultimately i think that oil revenues will flow back down to the people through jobs, infrastructure, security, school, hospitals etc though good governance is necessary to ensure it isn't siphoned away :(

Tallaabo   

Carafaat;976993 wrote:
Burnt Notice,

I was and still am against oil exploration on the Somali peninsula(Somaliland, Puntland, Somalia and even in the Somali region of Ethiopia). Because you need a political consensus, framework, strong and effective administrations in the region that can reap the most benefit for their people. And lets be honest the Somali Governments(even though there are differences in terms of security and effectiveness of the administrations).haven't
yet
matured enough to manage these kind of oil explorations and that can deal and form a strong counterpower to the interest of these multi billion dollar oil companies.

This latest development of Genel pulling out its staff suddenly and unilaterally without consulting the Somaliland government, is proof of that. Clearly, the balance of power should have been the other way around.

I am starting to have the same views as you do. I think with oil there would be a lot more competition for the money and resources and an unhealthy rivalry between our different clans. As long as the central government in Hargeisa is incompetent and corrupt, our opposition parties and national parliament continue to be totally useless, our constitution incomplete an in dire need of attention, and our courts unfit for purpose, then oil money will only be a fuel for the fire of social and administrative ills that keeps burning subtly.

Carafaat;976868 wrote:
You might be right. It seems that Genel was pressured or bought. Such pressure could only have come from the British authorities.

This is what I said 4 months ago.

It is the British,STUPIT

burahadeer;950024 wrote:
British oil companies lost their concessions in Somaliland which instead was given to turks,norwegians etc, and this what followed since then....a british change of heart:

Britain demanded all Brits evacuate SL as its haven for terrorists,then armtwisted to attend the London conference and David Cameroon hastily called Silanyo to see him.It sent it's foreign secretary and a new ambassador to Mogadishu a week later when the meeting bear no fruits.A new British envoy to Somalia was appointed by Banki Moon under British pressure and just yesterday Somaliland airspace was put under Mogadishu control.

Now will poor Africa defenders in this site make an issue of the British interests in Somalia as it clearly is a policy backed by BP & Shell companies.

haha great day for unionists,doesn't matter as long as somaliland is tamed:mad: