Sign in to follow this  
Haatu

Garissa County given almost £38 million to spend

Haatu   

By STANDARD REPORTER

Garissa County: The Garissa County Treasury was given the green light to withdraw and spend more than Sh4.8 billion for recurrent and development expenditure before June 30, next year.

In a special gazette supplement published by the Government Printer, the local administration can withdraw Sh4.847 billion from the Consolidated Fund anytime from today to spend for the public services.

The supplement, which is currently being circulated within the authorities concerned, indicates an estimated Sh1.3 billion will go to health, sanitation and water sector which is certainly very crucial for the local population.

Cash issuance

The county infrastructure department was earmarked to spend Sh677.8 million which includes Sh400 million for construction of roads and rehabilitation of civil works.

The county assembly, which is very important in formalising all the local policies and services to be undertaken by the county Executive, is also slated to get Sh505 million for both recurrent and development expenditure.

County Executive for Finance and Economic Planning Idriss Aden Mukhtar said he was delighted that Garissa was in the list of eight of the 47 counties whose budget had no issue raised.

“There were no deficit and supply complications in our budget,” said Mukhtar. No luxury and other unnecessary items were included, he added.

Before the Government Printer published the notice, the Garissa County Assembly has enacted the County Appropriation Act 2013 to endorse and authorise the issuance of the money out of the county revenue fund and their application towards certain public services and uses.

Pastoralist interventions

Governor Nathif Adam Jama challenged his cabinet members to remain steadfast in fast-tracking development as they take charge of monies in their respective dockets.

He asked all the public officials in the county to be transparent and impartial as they deliver services to the local residents. He said access to resources and control over these resources will help locals to plan and manage development effectively.

He said devolution provides opportunities for pastoralist to develop pro-pastoralist interventions and responses strengthen the role of traditional institution in governance and speed up conflict and disaster responses.

http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000092536&story_title=garissa-county-gets-state-nod-to-use-sh5b-in-budget&pageNo=2

nuune   

spend more than Sh4.8 billion for recurrent and development expenditure
before June 30, next year.

We will talk after June 30 next year Inshaa Allaah to see where the money went, I say it again: None of that £38 million you mentioned will be spent on any project, not even a single one, but to verify my claim, lets talk after June 30 next year if I am alive!

Tallaabo   

nuune;975967 wrote:
We will talk
after June 30
next year
Inshaa Allaah to see where the money went, I say it again: None of that £38 million you mentioned will be spent on any project, not even a single one, but to verify my claim, lets talk after June 30 next year if I am alive!

That is a bold statement nuune:D

nuune   

^^ Because I know the people who will be managing it, only 2 people basically, not even people, and the money will just sit there at their offices and the bank, only to be withdrawn bits and bits, here and there, with workshops and seminars, hotel conferences talking about oil exploration, dinners, transport, sport tournaments, the money will dry up before January 2014.

Mark my word, Tallaabo!

STOIC   

Nuuune, things have changed. People are well infomed.I think people will demand some transperancy. Lets hope the people benefit.

Faafan   

Nadiif adam Jamaac has promised much as governor, he is a fresh face but any hope he will deliver?

This was a good move recently, showing competence.

Kenya: Garissa Governor Moves to Exorcise Ghost Workers

Garissa government will embark on a headcount to expel workers who previously served under the defunct municipal council and the national government departments to improve operational efficiencies, area Governor Nadhif Jama has said.

Speaking after witnessing the swearing in of the county's Public Service Board, Jama said the move will ensure the county does not lose money paid to ghost workers. It will also establish the level of workforce at the county.

The Garissa County Public Service Board is comprised of Harun Mohamed Yusuf (Chairman), Annete Wambui Muriuki (Secretary), Abdisalam Sheikh Mohamed (Member), Mohamed Dahir Yusuf (Member), Fardosa Abdikadir Hussein (Member), Abdiisaak Said Aden (Member) and Mohamed Ibrahim Abdi (Member).

"This is the first task that this board will aim to accomplish given that transition from the old system of municipal and county councils to county governments requires a lot of cleanup," Nadhif said.

A week ago, Mombasa Governor, Hassan Joho conducted a similar exercise where 700 ghost workers were discovered. In Nairobi, 600 ghost workers were uncovered.

The defunct municipal and county council offices have been accused of rampant corruption among its officers who were stealing from the council.

"Ghost workers" are just one of the many tactics they employed and the new county leadership aims to check this among other things in order to bring efficiency in the running of county affairs.

The devil is in the detail, >90% is probably recurrent expenditure like paying health workers etc, so could turn out to be a poisoned chalice. Most development is actually funded from outside these monies...