Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Hussein Samatar, 1st Somali elected to Minnesota office dies

State's first Somali elected official – a member of the Minneapolis school board – loses leukemia fight

Hussein Samatar, who made history in Minnesota when he was elected to the Minneapolis school board and attracted attention internationally for his work with small businesses, died Sunday after a battle with leukemia.

He was 45 and was credited with helping dozens of African immigrants carve out new lives as entrepreneurs.

“I believe he is one of the people in the city whom I have admired the most,” Mayor R.T. Rybak said Sunday night. “I am just completely crushed.”

Samatar considered running for mayor this year before learning he had to undergo a bone-marrow transplant.

Three years earlier, he had become the first Somali immigrant to be elected to public office in Minnesota and went on to cultivate a reputation as an advocate for students who are immigrants or the children of immigrants.

During his board tenure, the district began collecting academic data in four languages, including Somali.

“His genuine commitment to all the children and families of Minneapolis, especially those in new American communities, was visible in all that he did,” said board Chairman Alberto Monserrate. “He truly led by example and embodied the values he held dear.”

In March, Samatar announced that he was fighting chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and that if it were not for the transplant, he would not consider missing a school board meeting.

He had surgery in May and wrote in a Facebook update that the transplant went well, but that the pain was “unimaginable.” His most recent posting, on Aug. 4, noted that he was back home from the hospital after being sick for two weeks.

“He was fighting hard,” said Rybak, who visited him a couple of nights ago. “But it was clear it was a very difficult battle.”

Rybak first brought Samatar to the public’s attention by appointing him to the city’s now-defunct Library Board. The mayor was fascinated by his personal story and impressed with his business acumen. Through his position at the 10-year-old African Development Center, Samatar worked with the city to find a way to structure loans that would not violate tenets of the Islamic faith, in turn helping to launch at least 50 businesses, Rybak said.

“He was extremely well-known in small business circles, not only here, but in Sweden,” which has a large Somali population, Rybak said. People from around the world would come to Minneapolis to learn about the loan strategies, he said.

Samatar lived in the Phillips neighborhood with his wife, Ubah Jama, and four children. Recently, at the hospital, Jama, a teacher, told the mayor about how the couple had met in a refugee camp, and how Samatar had said to her: “I have almost no money, but I’d like you to marry me.”

“She said she did and it was a very good decision,” Rybak said.

Services will be held at 1 p.m. Monday at Burnsville Masjid, 1351 Riverwood Dr., Burnsville. The public is welcome.

A_Khadar   

Libaax-Sankataabte;974990 wrote:
Mayor of Minneapolis pays tribute

"I am completely heartsick to learn that Hussein Samatar has died. He was a true friend, a tremendous partner and remarkable inspiration. This is a crushing loss for Minneapolis, and I have to say, personally. The only balm I can think of is that he lifted so many other people who can carry on his work. My very best to his wonderful wife Uba and her family."

Mayor_City_Market.jpg

23252134_BG3.jpg

Indeed he was a true public figure and role model for many. May Allah granted his soul the highest Janah..

LST, thanks for sharing some of his works..

Cabdow   

Allah yarxamuh! Samir iyo iimaan Allaha kasiiyo ehelkiisa, qaraabdiisa iyo ummada Soomaaliyeed dhamaan, amiin.

Allah Bless him,sincere condolences to His family and friends, to those of you who never met Mr.Samatar he was down to earth guy, i know i will miss him for his compassionate and heavy heart, God shows him mercy and i am asking every one to frogive this great brother that we have lost, We are indeed loosing the best of the Crop . Allah yarxamuk.

Jacpher   

Inaa lilaahi wa inaa ileyhi raajicuun.

Alle ha u naxariisto Hussein Jannatul firdowsana ha ka waraabiyo. Aamiin. Hussein was an older brother and a dear friend to me personally.

Just come back from the Tacsi. The Janaaza was packed, no room to pray. I was lucky enough to pray the second Janaaza. Waxaa ka soo qeyb galay culimadda magaalada dhamaan, imaamyadda masaajida, community-ga leaders, mayor rybak, Shaqaaladah city-ga iyo Hennepin County Library, U of M, TV stations, law enforcement members, a message from the State Department African Affairs Bureau. Rag dumar, Cadaan, Madoow, Carab, African, meel la kala istaago la waayey. This was the first time aan arko four law enforcement oo labistan rag iyo dumar isugu jira Janaazada ka soo qeyb galay, three of them made it to the qabri.

This is one of the signs inuu nin kheyr leh ahaa. May Allah qabrigiisa u waasiciyo.

Jacphar, thanks for the update Awoowe.

The community has lost a great pioneer and a true legend. I was texted late last night by a friend in Minneapolis about the death of Hussein. I have known Hussein since 2004. I wasn't close to him, but he was a dear friend of one of my uncles in Minneapolis.

May Allah grant him Jannah.

Thanks Jacfar for the update. I friend of mine called me saying he had to walk to the cemetery because of the heavy traffic coming to pay tribute to the passing of Hussein Samatar.

Although, I did not know him personally in live, I was one of the last few people who was able to visit him before the life support was pulled off. His wife and his four children, losing a husban and father at 45, it was a devastating moment; nothing prepares you a loss like this. May Allah forgive his sins, and reward him handsomely for the many beneficial projects he led to benefit his young community in Minnesota.

He was indeed a pioneer.

PS: for those Somalis eligible to vote, this is another reason why you need to vote for Abdi Warsame for Minneapolis City Counsel. Today this community lost a great champion, we need to have a voice at the table.

^Xiin-amiin for the ducaa....

LST Indeed the entire city of mpls and st paul along with rochester./mankato came to pray and honor our brother. He will be missed. May allah grant him Jannah- Indeed he was a good man who championed for the immigrant course.