Sign in to follow this  
Safferz

Faarrow, Say My Name music video

Safferz   

So the sisters from

have repackaged themselves as a new group, Faarrow... I like their sound and style a lot better now. This video was shot in Kenya.

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

What do you guys think?

Safferz   

There's nothing white or imperialist about hip hop, my friend. And culture is not static, there is nothing wrong with Somalis engaging with different genres of music.

Safferz   

Classified;974680 wrote:
This is bigger than culture. Bigger than just 'genres of music". This, the likes of these two sisters and many others alike, are
claiming to be "Muslim" and at the same time project un-Islamic appearance, a way of life that is certainly against the teachings of Islam
. Their audience? Hundreds of thousands of upcoming youth from a war-torn background, no education, no strong deen and with an idea that life, western-life style is truly the only road towards success.

lol, I knew some misogynist thunder douche would post something like this. What do you know about their imaan? What does this particular music video tell you about how they live their lives? And who put you in the position to judge someone's Islam, to the extent that you so offensively place Muslim in quotation marks?

Apophis;974681 wrote:
“culture is not static", mantra the white man uses to destroy all cultures but his. I think it's working.

Even so-called "traditional" Somali music like dhaanto has transformed over the years. There's nothing wrong with Somalis making hip hop.

Why do you punish yourself Safferz? Either openly attack Islam or feminist ideology, perhaps even both. The two are completely incompatible in their current state and you'll only further torture yourself and others on this board by attempting to reconcile them.

Safferz   

Classified;974684 wrote:
I guess we have another Irshad Manji on our hands. lol Listen, if you have Imaan (internal taqwa of Allah), then it should manifest via externally as well. Hair showing, cleavage showing, with mini-skirt on and saying I fear Allah? We judge by what we see. This idea of "Who put you in the position to judge" is always said by the "Reformers". Every Muslim is an Ambassador of Islam, thus you must speak up against any innovations and misbehaviors carried out by self-proclaiming "Muslims". Silence would only give the green light to the younger generation in copying.

...and there are prostitutes in Somalia who wear niqabs, and their johns in thobes on Fridays. Appearance tells you very little about a person's inner state, and my objection is when this BS is almost exclusively directed at women like the Faarrow sisters, but rarely their male counterparts in the music industry like K'Naan. When it comes to poorly thought out ideological positions, you and Irshad Manji have more in common than you think.

Apophis;974686 wrote:
How silly of me, I didn't realise this days dhaanto is done with bikinis and a pole, afterall: “cultures are not static".

Lol, go easy on her. Her role model Salman Rushdie is not here to defend her at the time being.

Safferz   

Apophis;974686 wrote:
How silly of me, I didn't realise this days dhaanto is done with bikinis and a pole, afterall: “cultures are not static".

Yawn.

Wadani   

Blackflash;974683 wrote:
Why do you punish yourself Safferz? Either openly attack Islam or feminist ideology, perhaps even both.
The two are completely incompatible
in their current state and you'll only further torture yourself and others on this board by attempting to reconcile them.

+1000

STOIC   

These girls been trying to make it to the music industry for a minute.Few break into the glamour glitters and gold of music industry.You got to sell your soul and body to make it..You trade your soul for that big break..Still wishing them luck!