Sign in to follow this  
Wiil Cusub

Egal Int. Airport Hargeisa

Tallaabo   

^ Revenue generating infrastructure projects like airports and seaports are good things but they should be treated as a means to an end, which is to get the economy growing and standard of life improving. However, it seems the people of Djibouti are not seeing any benefits trickling down from those investments which is really sad.

nuune   

Norf, that the runway is 2.5km is real, a friend just confirmed me with that.

Jumbo Jets can land and take off short runways, and short I do mean 3km, once the airport have that 3km, then Jumbo Jets can manage to take off 2.2km, the rest is just to make a room for any eventuality.

^ Excuse my ignorance, but what is so difficult about extending the runway a further 0.5km? For a layman it would seem like a typical road construction that is just in need of tar, asphalt and labour. Perhaps my question is better worded: what are the differences between a runway and a typical major road?

N.O.R.F   

Allyourbase;976194 wrote:
^ Excuse my ignorance, but what is so difficult about extending the runway a further 0.5km? For a layman it would seem like a typical road construction that is just in need of tar, asphalt and labour. Perhaps my question is better worded: what are the differences between a runway and a typical major road?

A runway is made of a high volume of concrete with steel reinforcement (very expensive). Road is compacted earth with asphalt (no so expensive).

nuune   

^ The information I am getting is that the runway is too small, and ground handling is not up to their expectation, the current ground handling equipment that are in place takes 1 hour and 30 minutes, meaning stuff out of the aircraft and in takes an hour and half, that is record, maybe that the time they calculated when they landed.

I got that information from Addis Ababa, a friend who is in charge of Dire Dawa Airport told me that.

Also, the confusing part was that a lot of people booked tickets with them on the following days and weeks as it was planned, only to be told that the plane will not arrive, there are talks now in Addis Ababa about the future of their airline making to Hargeisa.

nuune   

^^ Tell us then since you do know more and is one kilometer from the airport, what it is that ET cancelled their long-awaited flight, update Norf, myself, and others, or else we will rely on other people to supply us with the information we are seeking!

Plus haven't you seen the videos from Hargeisa, people protesting that the tickets they booked cannot be used, the flight never arrived, or never will, you have more info, we are waiting, don't be emotional inaar, this is a massive news concerning everyone, not just your inner circle.

^

......mar baan ku sheegay. mar labadna waan kugu celiyey. xitaa, mar saddexad waxaan jeclahay inaan ku sheegay, ya?................................balse, inaar, afkaga dhowr. anti-SL sentiments iyo hateration iska daa.